2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
My two large bean plots of 1,000 square feet each and fenced in to keep out deer was rather a bust this year. However I did get very small amounts of the varieties planted. About 5 days after planting all the seed we had about a months worth of rain in 6 hours and then the soil remained super wet for over a week. It's not conducive to good bean seed germination. These following posts are the beans that I did harvest from these two plots.

"Corbett Refugee". I acquired this seed from Hal in Australia. I wonder if Hal checks on us from to time. Anyway "Corbett Refugee" a true bush snap bean was selected out of "Refugee" by Ralph Corbett at the Sioux City Seed Company is Sioux City, Iowa in the 1920's. He noticed some Refugee beans that were less susceptible to Bean Mosaic that the rest of the field. That's how this variety came about. Two plants of this bean survived the early flood and the dry summer.

Corbett Refugee.jpg
#122 - Corbett Refugee

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"White Soldier" is a working name I have given to this segregation found in one of my other beans called "Red Eyed Ranger". "Red Eyed Ranger" comes out of one of my original beans called "Cherry Trout" from back in the early 1980's. This pattern of "White Soldier" is one that I'm finding very frequenly lately in many of my outcrosses. A white bean with a little spot of color on either side of it's eye. Most of the seed of most varieties in these two plots didn't germinate and most of the plants that did grow were stunted. Some of the plants just eventually dried up and died. However there were a couple of exceptions. This photo is the entire seed crop of this bean this year.

White Soldier.jpg

#124 - White Soldier

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Sebastian" A true bush. This bean came from a grow out of all those Will Bonsall packets I got in 2015. It grew close to true to type in 2016 and thew off one or two semi runners plants with the same seed coat. This photo is the entire seed crop for this bean for 2017.

Sebastian #1.jpg

#125 - Sebastian

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
"Vermont Appaloosa" A true bush with out runners. This a small slender seed with slender pods like "Magpie". I bought it in 2011 from a seed business the was selling the seeds on Ebay called Azure Dandelion. The photo is my entire seed crop of this bean and off type 5 dark seeds all togehter in one small bunch.
#125 - Vermont Appaloosa and Off Type

Picture not showing up:(.
Annette

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Sebastian" A true bush. This bean came from a grow out of all those Will Bonsall packets I got in 2015. It grew close to true to type in 2016 and thew off one or two semi runners plants with the same seed coat. This photo is the entire seed crop for this bean for 2017.

View attachment 22845
#125 - Sebastian
Ouch!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Vermont Appaloosa" A true bush with out runners. This a small slender seed with slender pods like "Magpie". I bought it in 2011 from a seed business the was selling the seeds on Ebay called Azure Dandelion. The photo is my entire seed crop of this bean and off type 5 dark seeds all togehter in one small bunch.

Vermont Appaloosa & OT.jpg

#126- Vermont Appaloosa

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Nippersink" This bean named after the Nippersink Creek here in the county where I live. This outcross showed up in Molasses Face in 2013 and I've been trying to slect it for a bush type growth and for this seed coat. Just as I thought I was getting some where most of my planted seed gets drowned and rots away. I think I had one stunted plant produced all the seed you see in this photo

Nippersink #1.jpg

#127 - Nippersink

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
"Coco Rubico" I once bought this seed back in the late 1970's from a seed company called Le Jardin Du Gourmet who had offices in New Jersey. They imported Varieties from France and this bean was one of them. I donated the bean to SSE in about 1980, and they still have the variety and I've even seen it listed by other members in the last 5 years. A couple of stunted plants gave me a half ounce of seed this year and I think it's all in the photo.

Coco Rubico #1.jpg

#128 - Coco Rubico

Latest posts