2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug

Thank you. The mystery is what makes it fun sometimes. My friend Kate found the Hoteko while growing other beans about a decade ago. I thought I had lost it, but I was able to contact again and she sent me a few fresh seed. I'm going to try and grow it this year.

@aftermidnight found another bean that looks like it too, but I haven't been able to find it. It's called "Annie" something.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is a roundish half red and white bean called "Anne Jackson". A number of varieties with that pattern in red and white. Seems colors and patterns are often repeatable in different varieties. I have two sort of like that. One is Joyce Fetterley's Red and White, and Bobolink.

Aftermidnight has come up with the name spelled a little different "Annie Jackson". Could be the very same bean.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The write up on this bean from Heritage Harvest Seeds...

This beautiful bean was discovered in Russia by Annie Jackson. She brought some beans back to Southern Manitoba and her son has been preserving them ever since. A vigorous pole bean that produces beautiful oval seed that is half burgundy and half white. A very good baking bean that is also very early. Thanks very much to Stephen Jackson for giving me seed for this excellent variety.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight
@Bluejay77

Harry also bought a pound from a place called Chili Smith Family Foods. I have no clue if they are daylight sensitive or not.

https://chilismith.com/products/nuna-the-popping-bean

I know next to nothing about these beans except what little I learned from Harry and Annette.

Have you heard from Harry lately, I do know he didn't have a germination problem with the ones I sent him but was having trouble getting germination from the ones he bought.

Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

I talked with him a couple of nights ago. He has 3 growing in his green house. His words were "they are growing like gangbusters."

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug

Thank you. The mystery is what makes it fun sometimes. My friend Kate found the Hoteko while growing other beans about a decade ago. I thought I had lost it, but I was able to contact again and she sent me a few fresh seed. I'm going to try and grow it this year.

@aftermidnight found another bean that looks like it too, but I haven't been able to find it. It's called "Annie" something.

i hope it does well for you. i love the pattern and shape of those. :) if you have extra at the end of the season i'll trade any of what i have for some of either of those. anything reputed as "early" and that shape is of interest to me and i can always hope for a cross with the many bush and half-runner beans i grow.

heck, i like 'em all... :)

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Surething @flowerbug

I'm growing several "new to me's" this year. Actually I should say, I am planting several and I hope they grow. You know how gardening is. Haha.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
IMG_4510.jpg
@aftermidnight

I thought I'd ask about this one. This bean hails from Cresson Valley BC. Original seed stock comes from Dan & Val McMurray (grunt & grungy)

It's described as a Chestnut Flavored pole bean. Unfortunately, Dan and Val are no longer with us, so I can't ask for the name of this bean.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@HmooseK I managed to capture some of his bean pictures to use for identification purposes before his web site went down. I believe this might be the one you're wondering about...
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 12.54.30 PM.png
All he had it labeled as is Chestnut flavored, hope this helps. The Creston Valley seed bank now has Dan's bean collection. I never had a chance to converse with this man, I would have loved to talk beans with him.
I'll see if I can root out a little more information on them, I have one contact that might point me in the right direction but don't hold your breath :).
Annette

Latest posts