2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't know much either. I'm a better collector than grower, but I try. I have a few rare varieties, but not near as many as I want. I'd grow every bean on the planet if it were possible.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @aftermidnight, Oh Yes it's exciting when more new people show up on this thread. I love it, I love it !

Here is the link to all the Seed Savers Exchange's online bean listings for 2018. I believe you can read all the variety listings but you can't see the names of the members who listed the variety unless you become a member and have a user name and password. When the SSE yearbook comes out there will be even more beans listed in the printed book.

https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/catalog/search/variety?plant-type=BEAN&avail=

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In 2015 I was given a few white seeded "Cherokee Trail of Tears" by my friend Rob in the U.K. Rob is the fellow who had just joined this forum and sadly has passed away.
I don't have a picture of the pods at the snap stage, just shelly, and totally dried pods. This had grown true with one exception for Rob. One year he found 1 pod that had reverted back to black seed in all the years growing it. I have a few of those too but haven't grown them.
DSCN6285.JPG

A bit of history....

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 11.39.44 AM.png

I have only grown these once in 2015, they were delicious as a snap bean just like the black seeded variety, my hubby's favorite. It depends how things go for me this spring, if I'm able I'll grow and have seed to share in the fall.

Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have someone new that showed up on the thread. How nice ! Welcome @HmooseK nice to have you here. Hope you will be with us always.
I think this will keep someone who likes to read about beans occupied for a time.

much thanks! :)

a pleasant afternoon. some reading, a nap, more reading. i've already seen most of these, but the genetic list was interesting and for sure some of those words needed looking up or guessing. i've never been a latin scholar.

this bit really struck my interest:

"ds (te)
dwarf seed: produces small seeds and short pods with deep constrictions between
the seeds; cross pollination with Ds gives normal size seeds and pods on ds/ds
plants, breaking the usual dominance of maternal genotype over embryo genotype
for seed size development (Bassett 1982); the xenia effect was first described by
Tschermak (1931) and the trait was named tenuis (Latin) for "narrow" pod by
Lamprecht (1961a)"

note that "breaking the usual dominance of maternal"? if there is one gene which does this there may likely be others. we'll see... :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A question, when buying dry beans packaged for culinary use do you think they have been treated so they won't germinate. I've had trouble germinating these, out of a possible 20 only getting 3 to germinate. Just wondering.

Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

I suppose it's possible. The only one I've grown out was a Pinto that came from the store. I had 100% germination, but I only planted 8 seeds out of curiosity

Latest posts