2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Hilo Laotian Lady lima I dug from the garden is looking pretty good so far. May get some seed from her yet!

wish i had space for such adventures! :) i like it as a simple houseplant... well, actually, i've yet to meet many houseplants i didn't like. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got to rig up some sort of trellis for it soon. :) I can't believe how healthy it has been. Sometimes if I bring things in from the garden, they carry buggies in with them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight, How incredible Sarah's Old Fashioned Black finally showed up. I'm so happy for you. We started searching for that on the English site Allotments4all a little over a year ago.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11, how incredible you were able to transplant the Hilo Laotian Lady to a flower pot. I've never tried digging up an established bean vine before. Those are pretty thick vines.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , it was the gal from Beans and Herbs U.K. that hunted down Sarah's Old Fashioned Black for me, she grew them out this year and sent me fresh seed. I'll see if I can get a few of these plus a few Bob and Mary to you come spring. Without your help I'd still be looking :). Shirley is going to grow both of these next year just in case I can't. A couple more varieties saved from extinction.

Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
:celebrateMY bean seed from the UK has arrived, this is another one I'd been looking a long time for. Grown here on Vancouver Island at one time it made it's way to the U.K. the only source I could find for it.
"Sarah's Old Fashioned Black" a black seeded snap bean, the only description I could find on it, the purple stemmed plants produce green pods with a purple stripe along the strings. I've sent half the seed I received on to a Seed's of Diversity member to grow out in case I don't get the chance.

Annette
Yay, glad you got them sooner than expected. ;) How many seeds did you get? If you want to spare 2 I can grow beans easily and would send you all the seed back to you.

Mary

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yay, glad you got them sooner than expected. ;) How many seeds did you get? If you want to spare 2 I can grow beans easily and would send you all the seed back to you.

Mary

I can let you have a sample as I've already spread them around up here. No need to send any back but maybe you can spread a few around down there if you think others will like them:). I'm thinking Bob and Mary's use is as a dry bean but pretty sure Sarah's is used as a snap. If you would like to try them send me your address again, not sure I still have it. If you still want them they'll be sent the cross the fingers and hope they get there method:D

Annette.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can let you have a sample as I've already spread them around up here. No need to send any back but maybe you can spread a few around down there if you think others will like them:). I'm thinking Bob and Mary's use is as a dry bean but pretty sure Sarah's is used as a snap. If you would like to try them send me your address again, not sure I still have it. If you still want them they'll be sent the cross the fingers and hope they get there method:D

Annette.
Thanks ok Annette. I was just trying to increase your seed. No need to send me some. I don't know anybody who would like them.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
- better light (check)
- desk cleaned off (check)
- comfy chair (check)
- blanket to keep warm (check)
- beans to sort (check)

..and so today i can start back in on sorting beans and thinking about what i might want to grow next season. :)

Latest posts