2017 Little Easy Bean Network – Everything Beans, Post It Here & Join The Fun

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Beanfan

I'll be growing a no name long bean from south Texas. I grew it last year and will continue my effort. There is a family that has grown them since the 1940's. I think they are going to be called Chauvin as that's the lady's name that provided my friend with his start.

A no name bean that's simply called "Chestnut Flavored." This bean came from Dan McMurray.

Oaxacan Cream

A no name Red & White pole bean

The bean in my Avatar "Hoteko"

Tarahumara Pink Green Bean

Black Jungle Butter Bean

Kew Blue

Minnie Shatterly

Jim Tye

Ruth Bible

Doyce Chambers

Tennessee Green Pod

Grey Eyed Greasy

That's what I have to choose from. I may not grow all of them depending on how much help I can get.

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't finalized my list yet, will not be growing as many as I have in the past.
My tentative list so far, this might change.
Nuna (beige seed) bush
Cherokee Trail of Tears (white seed) pole
Herrenbohali pole
Sarah's Old Fashioned Black pole
Aeron Purple Star runner
Emelia's Italian pole
Barksdale pole
Maybe one or two more, will decide later closer to planting time.

Annette

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

I've heard good things about Barksdale, but you already know that.

I'll be watching for updates on your white seeded CTOT.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@aftermidnight

You know girl, we should let people know about Ralph's Italian Heirloom.

This bean is very close to becoming extinct. Victory seeds has the last known remaining seed and they won't grow it unless they get enough people request it.

You can request it by going to their site and request to be put on the list.

Both My and Annette's seed won't germinate. I tried to sprout my few remaining seeds last year and Annette tried her stash of seeds this year.

This bean has a story. Here's the story from a friend of Annette and Mine. His name is George and like us, he lives for beans!

"an Italian Heirloom which I received from a seminary prof, back around '84. He got it from his Barber in Clarks Summit, PA; who raised it for years. He kept a shoe box of seed in his barbershop and encouraged customers to take some for their gardens. This bean is pretty good, but not my favorite for snaps, as it gets tough when it gets real large. But it is prolific and it is good as a snap, when young. The seed is quite large and round, like a Romano type. It's brown & beige speckled."

I believe the bean came from Italy sometime around 1900.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
my intention is to plant red beans again, yellow eye, lima beans, pinto beans, black beans and a few other selections from the bulk beans.

for fresh eating, wax beans. i'm not bothering with the green beans again this year, i wasted space on them last year hoping to get enough seeds to restock the supply, but barely got any and didn't eat many of the beans not wanting to ruin chances of seeds. could have eaten a few bushels... all empty...

this year will try test plots of some of the new crosses that have shown up to see how they go and will have space for some of the bean network seeds that need renewing.

from my crosses will plant some of the lavender, yellow hints, orange red hints, pink pinto and red goats eye.

i need to check my other containers to make sure i don't have any older beans that need refreshing. i'll select a few from those. i also tend to poke some random one-off beans in here or there. i hate to plant any one-of-a-kind beans but how else do you get more? grow them indoors and hope they come through? i don't get enough strong light here and would just think it was wrong to have beans inside. and, well, i don't have the room indoors either.

and i should cook some beans up tomorrow because we're due for a change in grub. :)

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug what is the name of your website if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:

Tricia77

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ramshorn vs Poverina Last year I grew Ramshorn (Ram's Horn) from Sandhill Preservation, and it was a great bean except that it was very late and therefore hard to save seed for, they did manage to dry down at the end. Sandhill has another pole snap bean called Poverina that sounds a lot like Ramshorn but is 5 days earlier, I don't know if that helps much but I wondered if anyone has grown it? Ramshorn is the bean in the lower right corner of my avatar photo, and had very long pods on vigorous vines, and long mauve beans. I could try to plant them out a little earlier this year.
I just received Poverina in a trade.
https://flic.kr/p/EGbFH1

Latest posts