2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@flowerbug

Shading does help. I try to plant some varieties for morning sun/evening shade and some for morning shade/evening sun.

Sometimes successful, sometimes not.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@aftermidnight,

Yep is probably exactly the same bean. They probably just got a little different name somehow. I find the Seneca Bird Egg a bit more prolific and later in maturity as Buxton Buckshot. Seeds look the same and pods the same on both varieties. Buxton doesn't clime quite as high and earlier in drying seed.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What do you do to protect your beans? I have a buzzard on my pole bean structure! :celebrate

20180530_083029.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you do to protect your beans? I have a buzzard on my pole bean structure! :celebrate

View attachment 26433

is it actually doing anything other than sitting there? buzzard poo may be great fertilizer. :)

i've not had many issues from birds eating beans i've planted, it is usually chipmunks, rabbits, groundhogs and deer that give me troubles if i don't have good enough fencing to keep them out.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally got some of the beans planted. all of my network pole beans are now in place along with the lone Red Bollito. i put a wire mesh fence around it and a few of the Munachedda Pale too. we'll see if it germinates... *crosses fingers for good luck* i don't like to plant everything of one type of bean in one garden so i still have some of the network beans to finish planting but that will likely later this week.

today's goal was to get all the Lima beans in first (because they take longest to get going and have a longer season) and a few other rows of beans planted. the climbers on the fence are likely longer season beans too - so we'll see how they go.

i'm excited! :)

it is supposed to rain today/tonight/tomorrow and i watered them in as usual just in case the rains don't happen after all.

i kept track of all rows planted, of what type, and how many, so i can check germination rates.

i've never actually counted how many lima beans i've planted before, but they usually are near 100%. taking advantage of the expanded bean garden for them i put in 165 seeds - that's about three times what i planted last year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
finally got some of the beans planted. all of my network pole beans are now in place along with the lone Red Bollito. i put a wire mesh fence around it and a few of the Munachedda Pale too. we'll see if it germinates... *crosses fingers for good luck* i don't like to plant everything of one type of bean in one garden so i still have some of the network beans to finish planting but that will likely later this week.

today's goal was to get all the Lima beans in first (because they take longest to get going and have a longer season) and a few other rows of beans planted. the climbers on the fence are likely longer season beans too - so we'll see how they go.

i'm excited! :)

it is supposed to rain today/tonight/tomorrow and i watered them in as usual just in case the rains don't happen after all.

i kept track of all rows planted, of what type, and how many, so i can check germination rates.

i've never actually counted how many lima beans i've planted before, but they usually are near 100%. taking advantage of the expanded bean garden for them i put in 165 seeds - that's about three times what i planted last year.

Latest posts