2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I also have the Grape bean, and I think Small House Farm's source for this bean is the same as mine. A lady in Rhodes, Michigan by the name of Debbie Groat, who makes jewlery out of beans sent them to me and I think this is where Ben Cohen of Small House got them too.

I met Ben at the Appalachian Seed Swap in Pikeville, Kentucky in 2016 and again this year. First Saturday in April each year.

My Red Bollitio source seems to be out of cirulation anymore. So just hoping the one I sent out might grow. RB is about 3 times the size as the Grape bean.

Ben said hello back to my contact note, so i hope some time we will get a chance to meet and talk seeds and trade some too. he's not all that far from where one of my brother's lives so there is a chance. it's about an hour's trip from here.

it's just nice to know there are others in my region for a change. i'm so often meeting people at the other side of the world from me... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
when planting the Swedish Browns today i noticed how lovely they were. :) and then the Fort Portal Jades. if those two ever cross it will be an interesting combination... and i was also very happy with the colors/patterns from the Dappled Grays.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our number of growers has grown a little larger again this year which is a good sign. In 2013 we had 10. I think in 2014, '15, and '16 we probably had about 12 or 13 each year. In 2017 we expanded a little to 18 grow out growers. So far this year we have 27. I think putting the Network pages on my website has helped. I would like very much to see this number double or triple from what it is this year.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just in case a few more growers comes along this is a revised list since April of beans varieties most and second most in need of having there seed renewed. I can't edit the list on page 1 anymore. I have taken out the beans that have been requested for grow out a least one time. A very good dent has been put into the list. The rest of these should be good for next year as I have them all in the freezer. Just in case we don't have anymore growers come along this year.

Most In Need Of A Grow Out

Large White Lima--------------Bush
Missouri Wonder---------------Pole

Second Most In Need Of A Grow Out

Green String------------------------Pole
Nova Star----------------------------Pole
Nova Segregation------------------Pole
Rattlesnake-------------------------Pole
Sallee Dunahoo White Greasy----Pole
Snow Star----------------------------Pole
Tara Humara Purple---------------Pole
Tierra Tan Bolitas------------------Pole

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our number of growers has grown a little larger again this year which is a good sign. In 2013 we had 10. I think in 2014, '15, and '16 we probably had about 12 or 13 each year. In 2017 we expanded a little to 18 grow out growers. So far this year we have 27. I think putting the Network pages on my website has helped. I would like very much to see this number double or triple from what it is this year.

i keep trying to recruit for your project anytime i find seed savers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 i'm curious why you have Pinto on your list as there are so many varieties?

i've traded with people for them and mix up the seeds with each season so i know i'm getting a blend of them. i then select out various things that happen each year and eat what's left.

if you want to send me any of these:

Pinto------------------------------Half Runner
Yellow Long-----------------------Unknown, probably a wax variety
Burgundy Kidney------------------Bush
Meravigllia di Veneza-------------Pole - Wax
Montezuma Red--------------------Half Runner
Old Black Coco---------------------Half Runner

i have room for them, but i'm not sure how long a season they might need?

i haven't planted any of these types of beans yet in some gardens so i'd be able to tell them apart. :)

i'll need to know if you are going to send them so i can hold the space in the fenced gardens as i don't want to risk any network beans outside the fences.

i didn't want to select a large number my first season growing for you, but if you have them to grow out...

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @flowerbug,

If you want to grow the ones in your post #296 also. I can send them. Will get them in the mail tomorrow.

I got a collection about 5 years ago from someone and the Pinto was included. So thought I would keep the Pinto with all the rest of the beans as well. I'm sure you still have enough time to grow plenty of mature seed of all of these.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @flowerbug,

If you want to grow the ones in your post #296 also. I can send them. Will get them in the mail tomorrow.

I got a collection about 5 years ago from someone and the Pinto was included. So thought I would keep the Pinto with all the rest of the beans as well. I'm sure you still have enough time to grow plenty of mature seed of all of these.

ok, thanks! :) good to know will save the space for them...

Latest posts