2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Raiquee

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If that source doesn't work out, Sacred Succulents carries a fingerprint fava under the name of "Ojo de Dios". It's a little smaller seeded that most of the other fingerprints but otherwise more or less the same.

Ok, I will hope that my source pulls through that as I can’t find anywhere on the site that Fava! Haha. The site is rather hard on the eyes and not too easy to follow.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #8

"EARLY WARWICK" - Bush Dry. Very good yieding bean. Grown in Warwick England before 1890. Said to be cool weather tolerant. I got this from a young lady in Derby, England in 2012. We traded some beans by mail after I had bumped into her website "The Linear Legume". This year was my fourth grow out of the bean.
Early Warwick.jpg

"Early Warwick" - Bush Dry

"EARLY YELLOW SIX WEEK" - Bush Snap. This summer was my third grow out of the bean. Obtained from a Montana SSE member in 2012. The bean goes back into the 1700's. In publications in the 1860's it was stated that the variety had been around for at least a hundred year.
Early Yellow Six Weeks.jpg
"Early Yellow Six Weeks" - Bush Snap

"EDEN PRAIRIE" - Bush Snap. The variety is a Robert Lobitz named bean. This year was my third attempt to grow it. I had only one plant come up but that one single plant apparently was outcrossed and didn't give me any seed that looked like Eden Prairie. First photo is what Eden Prairie seeds should look like. Second photo is what I got this summer.
edenprairie.jpg

"Eden Prairie" - Bush snap.

Eden Prairie Outcross.jpg

"Eden Prairie Outcross"

"FLOSSIE POWELL" - Pole Lima. From SSE member John Coykendall in Knoxville, Tennessee in 2017. Productive plants. I have no history on this bean. The name sounds like it was named after someone who probably raised the bean for a long time.
Flossie Powell.jpg

"Flossie Powell" - Pole Lima

''FORT PORTAL JADE' - Semi Runner dry. Productive plants produce this beautiful shade of green and some of the roundest beans I've ever seen. From the Fort Portal, Uganda area where people simply call it a bean. My start of this variety comes from fellow bean grower in Gronigen, Netherlands. This year was my 5th grow out of the beans since 2014.
Fort Portal Jade.jpg

"Fort Portal Jade" - Semi Runner dry.

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
"EDEN PRAIRIE" - Bush Snap. The variety is a Robert Lobitz named bean. This year was my third attempt to grow it. I had only one plant come up but that one single plant apparently was outcrossed and didn't give me any seed that looked like Eden Prairie. First photo is what Eden Prairie seeds should look like. Second photo is what I got this summer.

@Bluejay77, I grew out the Eden Prairie (Bonus Seed) you sent me and they came true. Some of the seeds did have a slight pink overtone, but some of the original seed had the same pinkish tint. If you are in need of some fresh seed for this variety, I can send half back. Let me know by the end of the week. I'll try and send out my seed package early next week.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I also grew Fort Portal Jade a few years back, mainly because of the unique color of the seed but being a bush bean and I mostly grow pole beans I gave my seed to Dan Jason, (Salt Spring Seeds).
Annette

i wish mine had done as well as those pictures! they look lovely. mine were overgrown and i may have gotten 50-100 seeds but i'd say most of them are not all that great looking. i'll give them a try next season in a better location and watch more carefully for them being overgrown. this year was a struggle for me in too many ways and while i had some great beans in places i also had others that surprised me by how poorly they did. i mean, pinto beans, i've never had pinto beans struggle and i had them in a location where they had all the room they could want to sprawl across some rocks and into a pathway, all the light and water they could want. i'm guessing this year was just too wet for them...

my early warwicks also didn't look so nice as those @Bluejay77, when i was pulling up the plants not too long ago i notice that they had rotted right off at the ground level and the roots were almost non-existent, which would explain why they just didnt' fill pods/seeds very well. i do have some, but they don't look very nice in comparison.

it was just so soggy here this year.

the Montezuma Reds had the first crop of seeds, almost every seed coat was splotched from how wet it was. later on we had a dry spell and the seeds from that time frame are nice looking. my other small red beans i grow the Red Ryders i noticed sorting a lot of those last night that many of those also were marked/splotchy. they're edible, they just don't look right.

it's raining again right now. it's been raining so much the past six weeks i wonder how this year compares to record rainfall years... i got out a bit today to put up gardens and i wonder if i'll get out more this week or not, but there is supposed to be a break in the weather before the cold/snow/rains/etc come later this week. perhaps after that is passed too... we'll see. :) never know what Momma Nature is going to toss our way.

one reason why i like to plant a variety of beans, never know what the season may end up being like. all of my smaller beans of the goat's eye types did great this year. some of the others also did well because they we're planted in prime garden soil (one of the few gardens with that much organic matter in there because the strawberries will thrive in there - i looked at them today on the way past as i was finishing up and they look like they weren't even touched they've been so well watered in the past few weeks)...

um, anyways, hehe, cheers... :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Lady0bug,

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep you in mind. I have plenty of seed just need to plant more of it. I had a grow out of a bunch of snap varieties and I only 5 seeds. A couple never came up and the rest had various numbers of seed that germinated. I will plant more of mine again next year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's Bean Show Day #9
"#15 SuxYeE" - Bush. Since obtaining this Robert Lobitz legacy seed in 2015 from a SSE member. There was one packet of this particular code seed I had not grown yet. The SSE member when it was under his control may have grown it last around 10 years ago. The seed was aging and I thought I had better get to it. This year might be my last chance to grow it, and some of it did grow. Most of it produced seed like the original, and a small amount of a new segregation. Possibly two segregations.
#15 Sux YeE.jpg

#15 SuxYeE - like the original seed

#15 Sux YeE - 2018 Segregation.jpg

#15 SuxYeE - 2018 Segregation

"FOWLER" - Bush Snap. Obtained this bean from a SSE Michigan member in 2014. This year was the third year I've grown it. Plants with white blossoms produce round dark green round pods. Plants have dark green foliage. Said to not attract Japanese beetles. After growing again this summer it didn't seem to attract very many of the bugs. The first time I grew it seemed totally untouched by the beetles.
Fowler.jpg

"Fowler" - Bush Snap

"George Murphy's Wax" - Bush Wax. Seeds look like several other wax varieties with white seed and a brown eye figure. I saw them on Salt Spring Seeds website and asked "Aftermidnight" to get them for me. You don't here about this one on this side of the border so I am assuming it's probably a Canadian variety. Does very well. I made a very small planting of them. Will plant larger amounts next time.
George Murphy's Wax.jpg

"George Murphy's Wax" - Bush Wax

"GIANT NILGIRI" - Pole dry. My first grow out of this bean. Didn't seem all that productive, but the beans are very pretty. Got this bean from Tricia Rosamilia in Pennsylvania. I think she told me it originates in Africa.
Giant Nilgiri.jpg

"Giant Niligri" - Pole Dry

"GIELE WALDBEANTSJE" - Bush Dry. An old heriloom from the Friesian area of the Netherlands. Also known as the Yellow Forest bean. Very productive. Love the yellowish beans with the prominent eye ring.
Gielewaldbeantsje.jpg

"Giele Waldbeantsje" - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, quite often. I've gotten the golds eye fava (though I have yet to plant it). I've gotten quite a few other things as well (I seem to recall a lot of wild alliums some Vigna subterrnea, assorted herbs and so on.

Latest posts