2018 Little Easy Bean Network - Join Us In Saving Amazing Heirloom Beans

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looked at several pics of black turtle and they look the same to me. I will ask them to see if that name rings any bells. Here is a better picture.
IMG_20181123_081906.jpg

Anyone else notice that Baker Creek is selling Purple Dove? https://www.rareseeds.com/purple-dove-bush-bean-/ That was exciting to see after growing it this summer and getting great reviews from our grow outs. Should do well and spread the bean around.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looked at several pics of black turtle and they look the same to me. I will ask them to see if that name rings any bells. Here is a better picture.
View attachment 29501

Anyone else notice that Baker Creek is selling Purple Dove? https://www.rareseeds.com/purple-dove-bush-bean-/ That was exciting to see after growing it this summer and getting great reviews from our grow outs. Should do well and spread the bean around.

ok, yes, those are a fairly close match, since in the picture they are almost all laying on their sides indicates to me that they are a bit flat which is what i would expect to see. the size is a bit larger than what i usually get here but don't take that as any kind of indication since it isn't unusual for me to have a bit smaller beans in most of my gardens due to poorer soil.

as for the Purple Dove beans at Baker Creek, i'm glad to see them go out more, but without a note about them beings a magnet crop for Japanese Beetles i think eventually that should come up in a review. i'm not a customer of theirs so i can't do that myself or i would. i'd also comment that i had little problem with germination rate for the seeds i planted. as for the picture i think it misses the red color of the stems and veins in the leaves.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about that Baker Creek now sells Purple Dove. It ensures more people will grow this one. I think that's great ! It's on the ABCW ABeanCollectorsW website Network page 3. 9th row of photos down and 4 in from the left.

Wow ! Thanksgiving really went flying buy and this is the time of the year I start getting nervous about the returns with 20 packages still out. I'm going to ask that everyone get their seed returns in ASAP. I would hate to get a ton of packages showing up in Florida when I turn into a snowbird again.

My bean crop is totally dry and goes into the freezer about Wednesday. Got a new freezer coming Monday. Almost 20 cubic feet.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that now that we are past Thanksgiving and only about 9 packages out of 29 have come back so far. I am getting nervous about the rate of return this late. I would like to ask anyone that has grown network beans to please get your packages in as soon as you can. I don't want to have them all come piling in on me at my friends house when I become a snowbird. If you can't get your return beans seed returned by the 15th of December then don't send them until the 10th of April 2019. The mail will be shut off here probably before Christmas. Everyone's seed must be dry enough to store by now. All my beans that I grew this summer is going into a freezer Wednesday.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to admit that now that we are past Thanksgiving and only about 9 packages out of 29 have come back so far. I am getting nervous about the rate of return this late. I would like to ask anyone that has grown network beans to please get your packages in as soon as you can. I don't want to have them all come piling in on me at my friends house when I become a snowbird. If you can't get your return beans seed returned by the 15th of December then don't send them until the 10th of April 2019. The mail will be shut off here probably before Christmas. Everyone's seed must be dry enough to store by now. All my beans that I grew this summer is going into a freezer Wednesday.

still on track to send them out this week. :)

snow may complicate things for Monday, but we'll see how it goes...

Eleanor

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Hi Russ

The Coscocorrones were extremely late for me and I was waiting on them. I plan to send back beans by Friday at the latest.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Raiquee, Glad the beans arrived safely. Summertime will be fun with all the beans growing. You are not terribly far away from where I live. If you are ever down this way. Stop in and I'll give you the entire bean garden tour. In fact if anyone in our bean network wants to stop by my place I'll give then the bean garden tour as well.

Latest posts