2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
It seems we are having another odd spring in a different sort of way. May was below normal in temperture. Lots of rain because of it's frequency. No torrential downpours like I've seen the last two springs where we would get 10 inches in 8 hours. It certianly hasn't been bean planting weather in May. Now that it's June we get a couple of days that are seemingly planting weather. Then tomorrow Wednesday and Thursday we are going to have highs only in the low 60's and Thursday night a dip down into the upper 40's. I hope all the pole beans I planted over the weekend will germinate and emerge from the soil. Planted about 63 varieties. Going to plant 7 more pole beans in my south flower bed today. Today is in the upper 70's. Hope the next two days is not going to do any harm to their germination. Just doesn't seem like enough consistency to the warm days.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 we're definitely way ahead of average for rain this year. the ground is pretty saturated. i hope today's sun will be enough for the plants that are up and the seeds that are close. it hasn't been super cold so i'm not worried about damage of that kind, just hoping the seeds that start growing won't give up or rot if they have a few days of cloudy rainy weather before the sun comes out again.

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It seems we are having another odd spring in a different sort of way. May was below normal in temperture. Lots of rain because of it's frequency. No torrential downpours like I've seen the last two springs where we would get 10 inches in 8 hours. It certianly hasn't been bean planting weather in May. Now that it's June we get a couple of days that are seemingly planting weather. Then tomorrow Wednesday and Thursday we are going to have highs only in the low 60's and Thursday night a dip down into the upper 40's. I hope all the pole beans I planted over the weekend will germinate and emerge from the soil. Planted about 63 varieties. Going to plant 7 more pole beans in my south flower bed today. Today is in the upper 70's. Hope the next two days is not going to do any harm to their germination. Just doesn't seem like enough consistency to the warm days.
Our weather (Indianapolis) has been bouncing around as well. I had what I thought was a good planting week and as soon as I got the beans in the ground it turned cold and rainy. Fortunately I got good germination overall, it just seemed to take everything about a week longer to pop out of the ground. The plants seem healthy enough so far.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I planted in similarly iffy weather back in early May expecting hot dry to move on in and it did. Now in June it has turned cool and very wet. About 10 inches of rain since first of month and very little sunshine. More rain predicted in next few days. Most plantings are well along with several starting to bloom. I was worried about molds and the like but haven't seen any so far.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hello @BeanQueen !,

Nice to have you come join us. A big welcome to you. I think you will enjoy this group.

We would love to here about all the varieties you are planting. If you care to post photos. Everyone here enjoys photos of everyone's gardens and beans. Make your self at home and enjoy !

@Bluejay77

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last night was 40 degrees, brrrrrrrr. Beans that are up seemed ok this morning including the Limas. I am a little nervous with the colder weather and did notice that a couple seeds did rot between the time I planted them and when they came up. But I have enough up of all the network beans to replenish the supply. This year has been a challenging year for gardening. I did finish putting in the new rain garden so I'll have more time for vegetables now. YEAH!

Last edited:

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Quite a few are from Russell Crow. His grow-outs have :.

My outcrosses I am in the process of stabilizing have *

1500yo Cave Bean
Poletschka
Tonello
Nonna Agnes's Blue
Piros Feher
Tuvaglieda
Good Mother Stallard
Fort Portal Jade
Monachelle di Trevio
Cresijevec
Sweetwater
Pink Swan
Slippery Silks
*Babka's Yellow (My grandma's beans she grew for decades in America. Her mother was constantly travelling from NY to Slovakia and would always bring seeds of all sorts back to her village so maybe this was one of the varieties of beans from 1920s-1930s? I call it this because Babka is grandma in Slovak)
Mix of Blue Lake and Galupka (I have to separate out Galupka and blossom baggie them since I can't find new seed)
Cannellino Nero
:.Cannellino Rosso
Koronis Three Islands
Neabel's Ukranian
*Mom's White (probably Blue Lake Bush, only gave this name for my own reference)
*Mom's Brown (brown seeded, yellow snap and shelling pole)
Ugandan Bantu (came with a lot of outcrosses from seed company, will grow them all out, maybe select some out)
(this group below is all Magpie Outcrosses, I have growth and pod information written down but I will just type seed coat pattern. They're all pole, though. Will see what changes this year. They all came from a few plants that self seeded from a row of Magpie and grew during the second half of summer. Frost killed most, but I managed to save some!)
*Jara-beana (A play on Jarabina, Slovakia. Also "jarabata" in Slovak means wildly-patterned and this bean is mostly black, some white and brown speckling/blotches on one end)
*Cherno-bean (very similar to magpie only that they're ~95% black, very light white dusting on one end. Cerne (with accent symbols means black. Also thought it was cool to have it sound similar to Chernobyl, lol)
*Dana's Mercury (Purple, flatter and larger than Magpie)
*Black Bear (All black, insane producer. One plant took up an entire section of paneling, multifloral. From that one plant I got more than a pint of dry seed)
*Applefest (similar to Dana's Mercury. My town is famous for Applefest)
Sacre Bleu
Amber Pearl
Succotash
Selugia
Red Grape
Mbombo Green
Iroquois Cornbread
Ijevan King
Ojo de Tigre
Magpie
:.Reade Krobbe
Purple Stardust
:.Smith River Super Speckle
Lilaschecke
:.Ntingi
*French Pole Bean (Not my variety, but it is a family heirloom. My aunt ordered it in a catalog more than 20-25 years ago under that name. Our favorite, excellent for freezing fresh shellies. Grown every year since then by my Mom and Babka until their passing and still grown by me and my aunt and some other family members)
:.Jembo Polish
:.Mona Lisa
Bosnian Pole
Snow Cap
Kebarika
SGC (for ease of labeling I abbreviated it, but will have to look up in my bean box because I forgot, oy)
Serene
Lady Bush Bean
Dapple Grey
Buckskin Girl
True Red Cranberry
Edogava Zurunacki Namame