2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think i really overplanted fresh green and wax beans this season, but i'm really hoping they will give me plenty of seeds because i was getting low on some and would love to have a lot to give away this next seed swap. so the idea is to have enough to eat fresh and also to have a lot of seeds.

last winter i really felt i didn't have enough bush green bean varieties to share around so it was really great that @reedy had some they were willing to share. they may not have certain names, but many people who are just starting out may not really care they just want beans to grow. later on, they can start finding named varieties if they want. once they've been hooked by eating fresh beans and shellies and ... :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You are right about the taste. Totally YUM!!!! DH is convincing me that I won't destroy my stove using my unopened 3yo pressure cooker, so hopefully some will be canned, others will be frozen--I'm good at that.
A few of my beans are old scarlett runners. How old? Good question. Maybe 5 years old. Hope they come up bc I wanted to try them again and couldn't find them locally.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
up here the scarlet runner beans are best started early so that they have a long enough season. i have grown them from sown in place seeds, but the crop was not nearly as nice as those i grew before from a potted plant. i've yet to eat any of the pods fresh, the dry beans are ok, but not my favorites for eating. mostly i grew them for the hummingbirds and bees that seemed to like them.

at the seed swap they were very popular. i should have grown some more this year but i just didn't get the pots going when i'd wanted to do it and then forgot about it.

the other day i was planting beans along the line of columbines and was dive bombed by a hummingbird coming along to check out the flowers.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I threw a bunch of reject beans from 2018 that was sitting in bucket in the garage all winter into my bean plot in the backyard about a week ago and tilled them under along with empty shelled pods. I had a whole glob of young beans coming up in that spot. Notice them about two days ago. Seems like all the beans that are getting planted around here are all germinating and emerging from the soil. I just get very hestitant about planting beans when it doesn't seem very warm to me. So I guess it's been planting time for beans around here too.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I seeded the last of the beans today, all pre-germinated. Only 2-3 of the hundreds did not germinate, so I'll call it a grand success. I am so exhausted and so relieved to have everything finally in the garden. And now I wait. Weed and wait for the next couple months

Latest posts