2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next up is Karachaganak, another segregation from the Will Bonsall #39. #39 was a busy bean. The first segregation was kind of oval. The second time I grew it some plants produced oval, some produced more rounded beans. This year I just planted the rounded version and it produced a more rounded bean. The first photo is what it looks like after a year and a half of storage.

Karachaganal 1 Round.jpg

This shows what I got this year. I call it a pole bean but it's not a vigorous pole, maybe 8' tall. The pole beans I got this year have a little variation in color, some are pretty dark compared to others. It will be interesting to see what they look like as they age.

I did have a segregation this year. The color/pattern of the bean was the same but one was a bush. Russ, as far as I'm concerned the Karachaganak you have is the official version, hopefully yours won't segregate and confuse us. I intend to grow the bush version and see if I can get it to stabilize.

Bush Pole Kara.jpg

The blossoms of Karachaganak are a mix of white and yellow. That red is the string I used to tie them up to get them to start to climb. It is not stem color.

Karachaganak Bloom Y & W.jpg

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next is Miss T. It is a segregation of the WB #32. The first year I grew it it was a very productive pole bean, I got over 500 dried beans from one plant. I was impressed. The second year I grew it productivity dropped back to normal, it remained a pole, but the bean colors segregated a lot. The pattern has a lot of natural variation too, even from the same plant, even if the colors are fairly constant per segregation. To me it is one of the more challenging to figure out what is going on as I try to stabilize some version of it. This year I planted the one that I thought looked most like the original Miss T, with a working name of Miss T #1. These are the seeds planted, they got darker after being stored 1-1/2 years.

Miss T 1.jpg

Now the results. The "A" look reasonably close to what I planted, considering aging. The "B" are more red while the "C" are a fairly light tan. I still have work to do if they are going to stabilize.

Miss T Results.jpg

Attachments

• Miss T Bloom.jpg
    Miss T Bloom.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 178

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rising Fawn is a segregation from Raspberry Ripple, Raspberry Ripple was a segregation from Will Bonsall #27. I'm pretty disappointed in it. Of the five Rising Fawn seeds I planted all sprouted, only one plant produced beans. The others just did not. That one as a pole like it was supposed to be but not vigorous at all. These are the beans I planted, kind of pretty.

Rising Fawn.jpg

Then the beans i got, a not tremendously interesting black bean. I'll save the seeds in case I change my mind but I'll probably let this line die.

Rising Fawn Results.jpg

Attachments

• Rising Fawn Bloom.jpg
    Rising Fawn Bloom.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 133

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now Tallulah's Treasure. This is more like it. Tallulah's Treasure is another segregation from Raspberry Ripple, which was from WB #27. It was a vigorous pole bean and very productive. It made a tasty snap bean, good flavor. Lots of good things about it. The bean color was black, first photo is what I planted.

Tallulahs Treasure.jpg

This photo is what i got. It will be interesting to see how "A" cures over time. It looks more grey than the brown that shows in the photo but you can see some brown in it. They look more interesting to the naked eye than that photo shows. The "B" is more of a dark brown but it look like it could dry with some type of pattern. The "C" is black like the original, which was a purple based black, but it looks like I may have two different sizes of beans. I'll sort them for the larger size. I plan to do some work with these, partly because the snap bean was pretty good.

Tallulah Treasure Composite.jpg

The bloom was a very pretty pink. My granddaughter liked that color.

Tallulah Treasure bloom.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Next up is Tartan, a fairly non-vigorous pole bean from the Will Bonsall #38. This was the second time I grew it, it remained true the first time. Not tremendously productive but I think pretty. This is the bean I planted.

Tartan.jpg

This is what I got. The "A" is really close to the the original, that's the one I intend to follow up with. The "D" is quite a bit darker and not as interesting to me, though I'll save it. "B" and "D" look identical, the difference in apparent size is due to the distance from the camera. Interestingly, both "B" and "D" looked cranberry patterned when fresh but developed this pattern when they dried. But the big difference is that the "B" was a bush, the rest were pole. My plans right now are to continue with the "A" to see if I can stabilize it and try to stabilize a bush that looks like that.

Tartn Results.jpg

Since I took the photo I'll show the bloom.
Tartan Bloom.jpg

That's it for me early summer bean show. Since I spaced them out so much it may seem like a lot but it's not really.

Attachments

• Tartan First.jpg
    Tartan First.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russell, is Sweetwater supposed to have darker vines? A few are coming up taller than the others with purple pigment on the stems

Last year when I grew Sweetwater the plants were all very uniform. I have not seen red pigments or taller plants in Sweetwater. Might be a cross. How many seeds did you plant and how many are showing the red pigmentation? It will be interesting to see what the taller ones produce seedwise. Are the taller ones looking like they are going to remain a true bush? The taller ones aren't producing runners are they?

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, are you ready for a bean show in early July? I was able to plant mine in Early March so I had a bit of a jump on most people. I am limited in space so there will not be a lot of different beans. All of them are segregations I'm trying to stabilize.
/ATTACH]

Hi Ridge,

Yes I'm definitely ready for a bean show in July. Nice to see how your named beans are coming along. Love looking at all the photos.

I have a couple of yours planted this year. I only had enough seed to plant 4 beans around one pole then a couple to replant if needed of Flat Hollow. Wound up with only two good plants. Replanted two seeds again as a couple didn't grow. Also growing Tranquility. The small flat luster purple seeded one. I'll take some photos of them later when they really develop. Also growing out two that you didn't name. WB-PKT 21.1 and 27.2. Plus I'm growing out Karachaganck again.

Got a grower from the state of New York that is growing out one other no name 27.3 and she's going to name it.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner,

Too bad the Rising Fawn isn't productive. It's really a very pretty bean. Love the pink mottling.

That's pretty close to what the original Raspberry Ripple looked like, a little different. That's it below from 2016. At the time I said it's too pretty to not try planting it. I haven't been able to get it to replicate enough though I keep trying. Every time I've planted Raspberry Ripple or one of Raspberry Ripple's segregations it has segregated. I still have more to try though.

27 4 Raspberry Ripple.JPG