2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My first thought would be cutworms, some varieties do that. Have you tried digging around the plant to check for them? When I was talking to the plant guy at the extension office he said beetles could do that but I didn't ask which beetles. When I applied a pesticide that activity stopped.

I suppose rats could do that (hard to fence rats out) but the one time I could identify the culprit as a rat (she died) she would eat a couple of plants to the ground each night, starting at the end of the row nearest the hiding place and just working her way down. Of course it could be something else but why would a rodent bite off a leaf and drop it? Then do it again? If they are not going to eat them why spend the energy and time to bite them off and drop them? I'm sure they could, sometimes they just seem to enjoy being destructive. But my first thoughts go to the insect world.

no other plants have been touched along there since then. when it happened the first thing i did was look around for cutworm hiding place and made sure that any holes in the ground were stirred up and then plugged. just one of those mysteries. like maybe it was a bird going for a bug on the stem and it missed twice or something odd like that... no marks in the surrounding soil though. i guess sometimes a bit of a mystery is what keeps us on our toes? :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Backyard bean nursery is nearly 100% filled out now. I think I put in about 6 more seeds out of about 200 planted. The wait was worth it. Planted the backyard plots June 14th. Most of the time I plant around May 28th to June 4th.

IMG_0039[1].JPG

Even the carrots are looking good in a flowerbed in the back of the house. Planted two 20 foot rows about the middle of May. There really aren't such a thing as a flowerbed at my house. Just more garden space. Just in front of the house are some flowers.

IMG_0040[1].JPG
Atomic Red Carrots. Bean in the foreground are Robert Lobitz's "Lake Avenue Beauty".

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I'm enjoying seeing everyone's pictures. I have a couple I'll post here in a minute too and intend to get some of the network and others taken in next few days. My beans were all up and going by first of June when it turned wet, wet, wet and cool. We had over 14 inches of rain from June, 1 to 21. Now its HOT!

Anyway, I'v got the paths and perimeter of the back garden cleaned out, mostly, well at least enough to walk around in. That's where all the non-network semi-runners and my larger rows of Refugee and other snaps are. Also the Red Wolf is in there but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to identify it definitely. I always plant kinda thick and then go back and cull out poor starters but when the rain set in I didn't get to that in time so they got over mingled. That said pretty much all climbing pretty good.

The front garden is more tamed with most of the weeds under control and vegetables all freed to grow. Beans and everything else have variation in how they responded to three weeks of clouds immediately followed by 90 degree sun. With a couple exceptions the network beans are doing pretty good and even those that aren't still have set pods, a few are nearing maturity. I intend to get in there this week end (between dawn and 1 PM) to finish up and take some notes and pictures of the individual varieties.

Anyway for now I do have a few pictures. The are of my Hoosier Wonder Beans I'v mentioned before. A cross between KY Wonder and I suspect Ideal Market. Here are the segregates of the F3 generation.
IMG_0814.JPG
The ones second from the left are what I'v gone on with trying to stabilize. The rest got dumped into my "Survivor Bean" mix.

Here is what they look like this year
HW-flowers.JPG

And some little pods
HW-little beans.JPG

I don't know what's up with the purplish stripe, Ideal Market the suspected original father can do that but I'v selected against it. They did not have it last year. It isn't a segregation cause they all have it. Weather related? Who knows?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@BeanQueen none of my plants are close to that, lack of sunshine slowed things down. i'm going to need to weed and do some props soon though as i see signs a few of them are starting to think about climbing. gotta aim them towards the fence before they get other ideas about which direction to go/grow! :)

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm enjoying seeing everyone's pictures. I have a couple I'll post here in a minute too and intend to get some of the network and others taken in next few days. My beans were all up and going by first of June when it turned wet, wet, wet and cool. We had over 14 inches of rain from June, 1 to 21. Now its HOT!

Anyway, I'v got the paths and perimeter of the back garden cleaned out, mostly, well at least enough to walk around in. That's where all the non-network semi-runners and my larger rows of Refugee and other snaps are. Also the Red Wolf is in there but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to identify it definitely. I always plant kinda thick and then go back and cull out poor starters but when the rain set in I didn't get to that in time so they got over mingled. That said pretty much all climbing pretty good.

The front garden is more tamed with most of the weeds under control and vegetables all freed to grow. Beans and everything else have variation in how they responded to three weeks of clouds immediately followed by 90 degree sun. With a couple exceptions the network beans are doing pretty good and even those that aren't still have set pods, a few are nearing maturity. I intend to get in there this week end (between dawn and 1 PM) to finish up and take some notes and pictures of the individual varieties.

Anyway for now I do have a few pictures. The are of my Hoosier Wonder Beans I'v mentioned before. A cross between KY Wonder and I suspect Ideal Market. Here are the segregates of the F3 generation.View attachment 32316 The ones second from the left are what I'v gone on with trying to stabilize. The rest got dumped into my "Survivor Bean" mix.

Here is what they look like this year
View attachment 32317

And some little pods
View attachment 32318

I don't know what's up with the purplish stripe, Ideal Market the suspected original father can do that but I'v selected against it. They did not have it last year. It isn't a segregation cause they all have it. Weather related? Who knows?
@reedy, I'd love to grow out some of the Hoosier Wonder beans if you've got a few to share! Cool looking plants and beans!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was psyched out today. went out to check out and weed the garden that has the rows along the fence and then get the props in place and tied down. as it turned out one of the rows along there was the last row planted in that area. i thought a bean was just sprouting but i was wrong, it was a squash seed. lol oh well. the lima beans in that row will be sparse but that is ok. if i'm able to remember in the morning i'll take some more out with me to poke them in the empty spots. i just keep getting side-tracked this time of the season with so many other things going on. today was at least a bit less heat and humidity so i could get a bit more done this afternoon.

most of the beans are doing fine. plenty of sun the past few days and i hope for a bit more this week. the forecast is for chances of rain almost every day this week but at least we've had some days in a row of sunshine.

Latest posts