2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@seakangaroo, how did these outcrosses go for you? Any progress stabilizing them? (from a comment in the 2015 thread)

I've been hovering impatiently over my outcross beans growling "ripen! ripen!" and today the first ones did and I am pleased as punch! Here are two of the children of the cross I was calling Blossom Valley back in post #277:

18993580584_35b0fda68a.jpg
19428127348_77ea828d6b_n.jpg

The ones on the left don't have the streaking of their parent but are beauties anyway, and the ones on the right got harvested young but look like they have their parent's pattern and color! :woot I know they look a lot more white than the original, but beans grown in my yard often end up with a different white:color ratio than "reality," so I'm pretty certain they came true. Here's a side-by-side of Giant Red Tarka seeds to show what I mean; left ones were grown in Wisconsin and right ones were grown by me (there's some Jacob's Cattle looming in on the left, too; ignore those):
18993764824_b00bbc515e_n.jpg

And one of the few Pied Python plants that made it all the way through bad germination, drought, and stupid neighbor cats has a few fat pods that are nearly in the shelly stage, so with just a bit more luck that line will get to continue as well. There's still many months left in the season here, so I'll be able to plant a second round of beans with my results from all of these. They've all been bush plants so far so that makes it easy.

And to top it off, I got a weirdo in my row of Fort Portal Jade:
19620529771_4e61854c94.jpg

Happy summer!

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It feels like we will have an early fall, here in NY. Not good as some of my varieties have yet to bloom. I won't be surprised if get frost in the beginning of October instead of around the 15th like we usually do

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My new field notes form so I don't have a mess on the notes app on my phone, lol. Any suggestions to make it better? Feel free to use this if you like, guys. I am going to use these in the garden and then add it to my bean files on Word.
upload_2019-7-30_23-43-39.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new field notes form so I don't have a mess on the notes app on my phone, lol. Any suggestions to make it better? Feel free to use this if you like, guys. I am going to use these in the garden and then add it to my bean files on Word.
View attachment 32672

From when planted:
- days to flower
- days to edible pod
- days to shelly
- days to dry bean

Michael Lusk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with Red Swan? I'm curious about a couple of things if you do. My plan was to use these fresh - would you suggest that I let them get to the Red stage or would that be too long on the plant? Also, my plants are definitely sending off runners...I thought these were supposed to be a bush variety so I planted them unsupported and I'm kind of questioning this at this stage. As a note, the seeds were purchased this year from Baker Creek.

BeanQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do any of you have experience with Red Swan? I'm curious about a couple of things if you do. My plan was to use these fresh - would you suggest that I let them get to the Red stage or would that be too long on the plant? Also, my plants are definitely sending off runners...I thought these were supposed to be a bush variety so I planted them unsupported and I'm kind of questioning this at this stage. As a note, the seeds were purchased this year from Baker Creek.
I'm growing them now. They start out red, I think you have low light if they're not red to begin with and are sending up runners. Mine were also purchased from Baker Creek last year. Mine have no runners and the beans start out red not long after the spent blossom drops. Either you have lack of sunlight or some mix-up.

Lady0bug

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Need Advice. The network beans were doing great this year until a pocket gopher moved into the bean row yesterday. He has started eating them and pulling them into his burrow from what I can tell. Most have beans already that are as long as my finger. What should I do? I could dig them all up and move them to another area. Try and get the gopher somehow? Need advice, otherwise I think I will likely loose them all.

Latest posts