2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #6

Back in Business with the bean show. I found all the photos after all. What a relief.

Cleopatra - Pole - Snap. It has small speckled seeds and really produces a profusion of pods. This bean was one of the many beans that came to me as an outcross from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. A young woman from West Virginia gave this bean it's first grow out and named it. I grew it this year and it gave me the same seed again. A total of 11 ounces of seed harvest (312 grams).

Cleopatra - Pole Snap

Did you get purple-streaked pods off this? Every time I've grown it (this year and the past two years) the seed has looked exactly the same, with zero off-types, but I've gotten pods that turn purple-streaked right toward the end. But the original grower said she never got those purple-streaked pods...

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @flowerbug,

You can hang on to the Hidatsa Shield Feild Figure and grow it out again. I don't need any of the Victoria Brown Eyes, Purple Dove, Or Conserva. The 3 beans that you can't fill the full consigment of, just do what you can. Thank you so much for being a part of LEBN. Every single person helps make this what it is. I'm sure we are bound to have a better growing season soon.

Man this season was bad. Especially compared to last year, which for me at least was magical. Last year I only grew 4 plants of any given pole bean, and got 1+ pounds off at least 5 or 6 of them. This year...... gak.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ, when are you leaving for Florida (and/or when do you need the beans mailed by)? Planning to get the rest of my beans sorted this weekend.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never actually grown them, but I have a pack of 2018 seed from Baker Creek and would be happy to send you some. Might be fun to run a test crop next to whatever you harvest from this year! :)

thank you that would be great. i'll PM my address. :) is the name Golopka or Golupka? or am i now confused and don't know what i'm talking about? lol a wax bush bean better than Top Notch.

if you see anything else you would like in trade in my pictures or on my bean page let me know. :) i like sending my beanie friends off to the other parts of the world so they can learn to speak other soil languages.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Man this season was bad. Especially compared to last year, which for me at least was magical. Last year I only grew 4 plants of any given pole bean, and got 1+ pounds off at least 5 or 6 of them. This year...... gak.

it surely wasn't the best year here either especially for all the pole beans which kept getting blown off my fence supports. i made a lot of efforts this year to tie my supports down so they would not get blown away like they did last year, but the plants just did not grab on quickly or strongly enough and we had some bad storms at some very key moments.

the pole beans that did really well here were the Green Savage, Purple Podded pole beans, and the Anasazi, a few others did ok (Blaugrau and Kahnawake Mohawk) but not great. some refused to climb at all (Red Lima among those which surprised me because they climbed for me last year without any problem at all). Adams Family Six Weeks was true to the name and i will continue to grow it for that reason alone, but the seeds/pods are not that resistant to fungi or marking the seeds so i'll look for it to cross with something else. Fortex and the Monks Beard were almost a complete bust in both cases. i have some pretty sorry looking seeds from those.

to me seasons like this will show you how diversity in plantings can really be a good thing v.s. monocultures - they also point out which varieties you might have that are keepers because they are productive even under adverse conditions.

Dapple Grey, Purple Dove and a few of my cross breeds are showing promise (Lemon Slice, Sunset and what i called Reddish Pere, but i think i need to rename it Pink Pere). some others too are showing promise, but i'm not sure how stable they are yet. Yed is also looking to be a productive bean, but may need a longer season to reach its full potential. i'm trying to breed and select shorter season beans to fit within our climate and gardening habits.

this year was only the first year i'd grown Victoria Brown Eye, but if it holds up next year and is as productive then that will also be added to my longer term dry bean growing. it is a larger bean so normally those struggle at times here so i tend to look for smaller beans that will finish in time and be of good quality.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, when are you leaving for Florida (and/or when do you need the beans mailed by)? Planning to get the rest of my beans sorted this weekend.

@saritabee,

Not going to Florida this winter. You can send them anytime soon if you like. I am in the process now of putting beans in ziplocs and boxing them up for the freezer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
you gonna freeze with us! lol

not that i'm recruiting or anything @Bluejay77, but there's this guy who may be coming over for the local area seed swap this winter named Chris who may like someone to ride along with... heeheehee... (enabler moi? :) )...

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thank you that would be great. i'll PM my address. :) is the name Golopka or Golupka? or am i now confused and don't know what i'm talking about? lol a wax bush bean better than Top Notch.

Galopka. This is my favorite wax bean.:)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #10

Harvard - Pole, Snap

One of the outcrossed beans from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. Very productive snap bean. It has grown the same for several seasons. Long flatened green pods. The bean grew fairly well this season. Seed Harvested Was: 7.00 ounces (198 grams).

Harvard.JPG

Harvard - Pole, Snap

Latest posts