2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
oops, i also forgot to ask about Anasazi? do you need any of those?

ok, thanks! will get these sent out in the next week or so.

If you would like to send some Anasazi that would nice. I sent all I had to a woman in the UK, but I don't remember if she can return it this year because the way it may have grown.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #8

Dwarf Shield - Bush, Dry.

Bush Dry. Said to be 90 days to first dry pods but was 82 days when grown here. This variety dried down it's entire set of pods in 23 days. The bean will develop yellow pods during it's growing season although it is not a wax variety. An original bean named and introduced by Robert Lobitz through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 1999. Named as the pattern resembles the color pattern of the American indian variety the Hidatsa Shield Bean. Total Seed harvest from 10 plants 8.40 ounces (238 grams).

Dwarf Shield #2.jpg.JPG

Dwarf Sheild - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Early Vermillion - Bush, Dry.

Bush Dry. It's earliness truely amazed me when grown here. 71 days to beginning of it's first dry pods. Then dried down it's entire pod set in just 18 days. An original bean named and introduced through Seed Savers Exchange yearboook in 2004 by the late Robert Lobitz of Paynesville, Minnesota. These beans should look like Jacob's Cattle with a lot, lot more white than my seed grew with this summer. Often times beans patterned like this will lack much of the white and spotting when grown here. There are some soils in my county where these JC pattern beans look really nice. Total seed harvest from 10 plants was 9.35 ounces (265 grams).

Early Vermillion.JPG

Early Vermillion - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Emelia's Italian - Pole, Snap.

Pole/Snap. Early and productive. This bean is named in honor of the lady who brought them to Nanaimo British Columbia, Canada from Italy in 1911. Mrs. Emelia Fuller immigrated to Canada from the town of St. Peitro in the provence of Udine in Northern Italy. This bean was originally distributed as "Auntie Vi’s". Annette Barley of Nanaimo had convinced an early seed seller of the bean that Emelia’s Italian was a better tribute. Annette sent me the bean in 2016 and told me that using it as a snap bean is the only way she has used the variety. This bean didn't do as well here this summer as in past years. Total seed harvest from maybe 8 plants. 6.35 ounces (180 grams) I had bush beans in my backyard do better with 10 plants.

Emelia's Italian.JPG

Emelia's Italian - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Fagiolo Viola Di Assiago - Pole, Dry.

Pole dry. Beautiful purple bean from an Italian fellow in Volpiano, Italy I traded with earlier this past spring . Six productive plants produced nearly two pounds of beans grown here in northern Illinois. Something wonderful in beans for purple lovers. Total Seed Harvest: 29.75 ounces (843 grams).

Fagiolo Viola Di Assiago #1.JPG

Fagiolo Viola Di Assiago - Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Flat Hollow - Pole, Dry.

One of the many outcrossed beans sent to me in 2015 by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. The bean was grown and named in 2016 by a Little Easy Bean Network grower in Arkansas. I grew it out this summer for some better seed and I did have success. Two fairly decent plants came from poor looking seed and prduced 6.75 ounces of beans (191 grams).

Flat Hollow.jpg

Flat Hollow - Pole, Dry

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Fagiolo Viola Di Assiago - Pole, Dry.

Pole dry. Beautiful purple bean from an Italian fellow in Volpiano, Italy I traded with earlier this past spring . Six productive plants produced nearly two pounds of beans grown here in northern Illinois. Something wonderful in beans for purple lovers. Total Seed Harvest: 29.75 ounces (843 grams).

View attachment 33554
Fagiolo Viola Di Assiago - Pole, Dry

:)

take those and blend them with Blaugraue and you have a very beautiful combination of Blues, Greys, Purples... unfortunately Bomba is not as shiny so would not work with them for the green colors and it is smaller too.

so far Blaugraue is the closest i've seen to a solid blue in any bean - i would not be surprised to find out that these two beans are related.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Early Vermillion - Bush, Dry.

Bush Dry. It's earliness truely amazed me when grown here. 71 days to beginning of it's first dry pods. Then dried down it's entire pod set in just 18 days. An original bean named and introduced through Seed Savers Exchange yearboook in 2004 by the late Robert Lobitz of Paynesville, Minnesota. These beans should look like Jacob's Cattle with a lot, lot more white than my seed grew with this summer. Often times beans patterned like this will lack much of the white and spotting when grown here. There are some soils in my county where these JC pattern beans look really nice. Total seed harvest from 10 plants was 9.35 ounces (265 grams).

View attachment 33552
Early Vermillion - Bush, Dry

This variety is very similar to landrace bean from the area of Tarnów town in south-eastern Poland. I received seeds this year from the Polish National Centre for Plant Genetic Resources.

POLTAR00-152 .jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 was sorting and boxing up beans to send back to you today. 3 of them did not have a full consignment of decent looking seeds so i've sent what i can, but the worst was the Hidatsa Sheild Figure bean. do you want me to hang on to those and try again next year?

Hidatsa Shield showed low resistance to drought and heat, which were in late spring and summer in Poland. Many flowers fell, and the pods were poorly filled. This is my whole crop from three plants.

Hidatsa Shield.jpg