2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #26

True Red Cranberry Outcross - Pole, Dry

One of our network growers grew True Red Cranberry in 2017. With her seed return came this outcrossed seed from the True Red Cranberry. I decided to grow it out this year and it produced one off type and mostly beans that looked like the outcross. It sort of reminds me of Mona Lisa with larger and redder seed. Second photo is the off type. Total Seed Harvest including it's off type. 8.20 ounces (232 grams).

True Red Cranberry OC.JPG

True Red Cranberry Outcross - Pole, Dry

True Red Cranberry Outcross Seg #1.JPG

True Red Cranberry Outcross Off Type- Pole, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Turkish Sprenkler - Bush, Dry

Sent to me by one of our occassional network growers from Catasauqua, Pennsylvania. She was told the bean was a pole bean. The original seed didn't look like what we got back after our grow out. I had 5 seeds to plant and planted four of them among pole beans. Being shaded a lot by pole beans the variety produced sparsely. Will try it again among bush beans where it will get plenty of sunlight. Total Seed Harvest: 3 ounces (85 grams). Second photo is of the orignal seed I received.

Turkish Sprenkler.JPG

Turkish Sprenkler - Bush, Dry

Turkish Spenkler.jpg

Turkish Sprenkler Original Seed

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Union - Pole, Snap

One of the many outcrossed beans sent to me by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. This bean seems to be a heavy producer and did not produce any off types. I named the bean after the small town of Union, Illinois, in the county where I live. Locally Union is known for it's Railway Museum. Locomotives and old passenger coaches.

Union.JPG

Union - Pole, Snap

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score

Tranquility - Pole, Dry

A product of the many outcrossed beans sent to me by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine in 2015. The original bean that Tranquility comes from was grown out by and named by Ridgerunner in 2016. I grew out the seed this year to get a bigger supply of this bean. Seemed more like a semi runner than a pole bean. Not a big climber. Love these flat medium purple beans. Tranquility did produce one off type a purple glossy seeded bean.

View attachment 33814
Tranquility - Pole, Dry

View attachment 33815
Tranquility Off Type - Pole, Dry

I've been waiting on Tranquility. That coat is different.

Have you received anything from that lady in the Northeast that was growing 27-3? I've been wondering how she did with it.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , when you report on the yield weights, how many plants did it take to produce that? Is it roughly the same number for all or most varieties?

Pole beans I have planted 8 plants each. Doesn't necessarily mean that I had all 8 of them grow successfully. I never went back and counted how many seeds of each germinated and grew into full maturity.

Bush Beans - I planted 10 seeds of each variety except Turkish Sprenkler
Semi Runner Beans - Planted 15 seeds of each.

I also must add that a lot of varieties in my pole bean plot wound up stunted. I believe that was due to poor soil preprartion on the part of the man who owns the property as he thought he was doing me a favor by tilling the soil early to keep weeds down for me before planting time. I think he hit the soil with his tiller when it was too wet and it stayed very lumpy and clody the rest of the season. I also lost a lot of seed of some of them to periods of very wet weather.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been waiting on Tranquility. That coat is different.

Have you received anything from that lady in the Northeast that was growing 27-3? I've been wondering how she did with it.

I still have not heard back from the woman grower who took 27-3. I am curious too. I wonder what name she might pick for the bean.

Last edited:

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
Pole beans I have planted 8 plants each. Doesn't necessarily mean that I had all 8 of them grow successfully. I never went back and counted how many seeds of each germinated and grew into full maturity.

Bush Beans - I planted 10 seeds of each variety except Turkish Sprenkler
Semi Runner Beans - Planted 15 seeds of each.
Interesting, why do you plant more of the semi-runner, do you generally expect lower yield from them? Speaking of semi-runners the Shoshone you posted a little while back yielded 22oz. Pretty high compared to most of the others? It had already caught my eye cause of that frosted appearance and being semi-runner, beans with that frosted trait regardless of the color seems to me often to be particularly good tasting.
My highest yielding dry bean this year was the solid brown segregation from the Refugee off types. I don't weigh mine but got a full quart from them and we ate some as fresh green beans.
I don't remember how many of the original off-type seeds I planted, probably only 20 or so. The solid brown one which I'm calling Escapee, makes probably 80% of that dry quart.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting, why do you plant more of the semi-runner, do you generally expect lower yield from them? Speaking of semi-runners the Shoshone you posted a little while back yielded 22oz. Pretty high compared to most of the others?

Yes I do expect the yeild on semi runners to be lower than the pole beans. However this year the entire semi runner end of the plot did very well. All the grow outs of each variety looked normal. No stunting like many of the pole beans. Vigorous growth. I wished the pole beans would have grown like that.

Latest posts