2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
the AFSW's beans are not that resistant to marking or fungi once they start drying down, but that they are so early does make them worth further efforts - we'll see what happens with them in the future. :) maybe i'll get some interesting crosses from them.

I got the AFSW's from a fellow in Minnesota. He said the bean comes from Eastern Kentucky. The would probably make it an Appalachian variety.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #23

Ringwood - Pole, I think this bean might be a snap type. I found a mottled seeded outcross in 2014 in White Robin. I had not planted the bean again until last year. When I did replant this bean. I didn't get a single mottled seed, but found this light tan seed with black stripping on it. Planted it again this year and got the light tan seed with the black stripping again plus 4 other seed coats.

Ringwood.JPG

Ringwood - Pole

Ringwood OT #1.JPG

Ringwood Segregation #1

Ringwood OT #2.JPG

Ringwood Segregation #2

Ringwood OT #3.JPG

Ringwood Segregation #3

Ringwood OT #4.JPG

Ringwood Segregation #4

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rockwell - Bush, Dry

Rockwell was not quite as productive this past summer, but was the same tried and true bean again. An heirloom from the Coupeville area of Central Whidbey Island in Washington state. It is named after the late 1800's pioneer Elisha Rockwell who brought it to the area from Maine. The bean has remained popular in homestead gardens for well over a century, renown for its ability to germinate in cool soil, mature early, and its outstanding flavor. The bean is considered a “cassoulet” type bean, it keeps it shape yet cooks up creamy and rich. Total Seed Harvest: 2.85 ounces (80 grams)

Rockwell.JPG

Rockwell - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

San Antonio - Pole, Snap, Shell

Tough year for this bean. I think most of my seed spoiled from wet weather and the plants seemed rather stunted all summer. I got more beans out of some of my bush types this year than this one. Total Seed Harvest: 2.50 ounces (70 grams)

San Antonio.JPG

San Antonio - Pole, Snap, Shell

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Sebastian - Bush, Dry

This is one of the beans that came out of one of the outcrossed seed that I got from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine in 2015. It came out of a packet of seed that I had numbered WB-PKT #18. I'm so used to the beans name now I don't think of the old packet number anymore. The info Will had on the packet that this one came from said Rogues from Early Stearns. That is a Robert Lobitz bean. In 2017 I planted this bean again and found a semi runner with the exact same seed coat and size of seed that I named Sebrina. So they are a genetic pair. One Bush one Semi Runner. Sebastian and Sebrina. Sebrina produced a mottled segregation the first time grown. Sebastian's only segregation was the Semi Runner only one time. Sebastians total output this year was not good only 2.80 ounces (79 grams).

Sebastian.JPG

Sebastian - Bush, Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Seneca Bird Egg - Pole, Dry

The bean takes up pretty much the whole season to produce it's seed and dry it's pods. This year planting was late because the cooler wet weather. So I actually cut the vines after the pods were quite green and swollen with seed. However after the pods dried the seed looked pretty good. Total Harvest: 5.20 ounces (147 grams).

Seneca Bird Egg.JPG

Seneca Bird Egg, Pole, Dry

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Rockwell - Bush, Dry

Rockwell was not quite as productive this past summer, but was the same tried and true bean again. An heirloom from the Coupeville area of Central Whidbey Island in Washington state. It is named after the late 1800's pioneer Elisha Rockwell who brought it to the area from Maine. The bean has remained popular in homestead gardens for well over a century, renown for its ability to germinate in cool soil, mature early, and its outstanding flavor. The bean is considered a “cassoulet” type bean, it keeps it shape yet cooks up creamy and rich. Total Seed Harvest: 2.85 ounces (80 grams)

View attachment 33773
Rockwell - Bush, Dry

very nice bean! :) early and bush type. i can't tell if from your description if is only a dry bean or not or if it is also perhaps a snap?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #24

September Blue - Pole, Snap

This is one of the many segregations that have occured from outcrossed beans sent to me in 2015 by Will Bonsall, of Industry, Maine. The main outcross from the packet of seed that this bean came from it a light tan seeded snap bean I named Harvard. Harvard has produced some blue seeds and I planted the blue ones several years in a row and this year got about 50 % of them to be blue. Hope this kind of progress continues each year as I grow out the latest seasons most blue seed.

Septembr Blue.JPG

September Blue - Pole, Snap

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #24

Shoshone - Semi Runner, Dry

This bean has been with me since 1979. I don't remember what it's seed mother was. I also think that this bean might be easily crossed. I have been getting off types from it for the last several years although a little bit less quantity this year. It has produced 5 off type seed coats this year. Second photo is a group shot of all of this years various seed coats from Shoshone. Two of the gray seed coats might actually be a reverse of the colors. A very productive bean with about 4.5 inch pods (11.43 cm). Total Seed Harvest: 22 ounces (623 grams).

Shoshone.JPG

Shoshone - Semi Runner, Dry

Shoshone OT Group #2.JPG

Shoshone - Off Type Seed Coats

Last edited:

Latest posts