2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Russ, it seems that I actually have around 80 seeds. I'm super stoked about the garden next year. I don't mean to tie up this forum. I sent you a conversation link on this site if you would like to talk more.

there have been at least one other person here besides Russ who have grown KP's so it is not as endangered as it might be. i am glad that people keep track of and grow all the old varieties. are there other beans that have caught your interest besides KP?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
It would also be handy for me, since I have in my hunts found some beans where I am unsure as to exactly what species they are, and I have a nagging feeling that, even once I grow them out (assuming they germinated, and go through their whole life cycle) I STILL wont be sure.

Incidentally, since you mentioned wax beans, I should point out that, assuming it can grow enough of it I can share (the critters love it like crazy) , I have an interesting item. The bean I call Coals in the Candle is a wax COW PEA. The people on the other forum I used to use said they had never heard of such a thing.

i'm not sure where peas and cowpeas are related on the family tree to beans and soybeans, but perhaps they are distant relatives enough that any common mutations found in one would be possible in all the rest?

i am certainly not up on all the taxonomic differences to be able to give a fine distinction myself.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's certainly possible. Mendel's famous green cotyledon gene in peas (currently referred to as the i gene) is also found in a lot of other legumes (I have seen it in lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, cow peas, and Siberian Pea shrub). And there is a pea gene called the orc gene that produces the same orange cotyledons in peas that one sees in red lentils.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Russ, it seems that I actually have around 80 seeds. I'm super stoked about the garden next year. I don't mean to tie up this forum. I sent you a conversation link on this site if you would like to talk more.

Hi @Spork,

You have 80 seeds of Kutasi Princess. You will be growing them by pounds and pounds. Be careful about planting all your seed of a bean. The weather can be full of surprises and mess up a gardeners best made plans. If you want to tell me more about your plans and don't want to write them here. Send me an email at upadam@comcast.net.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mean to tie up this forum. I sent you a conversation link on this site if you would like to talk more.

Personally I've enjoyed the conversation. I grew KP a few years back just to renew the seed and ate what I did not send back to Russ. When I did I planted them in two separate locations because of the variations in the results even in the same year Plus they were planted a couple of weeks apart.. Both patches did well for me but one a little better than the other. I hope they do well for you.

Spork

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi @Spork,

You have 80 seeds of Kutasi Princess. You will be growing them by pounds and pounds. Be careful about planting all your seed of a bean. The weather can be full of surprises and mess up a gardeners best made plans. If you want to tell me more about your plans and don't want to write them here. Send me an email at upadam@comcast.net.

I originally found the seeds when I stumbled onto the Rare Vegetable Seed consortium looking for Pepe's Gigante tomato seeds. So I browsed their website, and the description and pictures of the KP really caught my eye! I ordered them from Susan Simcox and planted them. They germinated very easily and I had healthy looking plants. That year I neglected our garden behind our house, and in the middle of the summer what 2 rows that I had tilled for the KP got run over with poison ivy. Then the Seed Consortium disappeared. A little later I found orro seeds out of Serbia. I realized how rare the seeds where then, so I purchased a lot of seeds. I am in East Texas and part of several local Facebook gardening groups. I reached out to one of the groups seeing if anyone wanted to join me in preserving and thriving a rare been to do as a group project. I was very stoked about this. I gave seeds out to 4 different people. 1 had no luck. 1 never planted them. 1 planted 10 seeds and now has 30. The last one lives in West Texas and had 0 germination. I planted a large amount in our "big garden" out in the sticks. I had 200+ tomato plants that I started indoors from seed, along with other plants and my KP plants. One random night deer ate everything... So this year will have the garden behind our house in the city, and out big garden out in the sticks with game fence around it. I'm stoked again this year about growing and thriving them. And Russ, I'll gladly welcome "pounds and pounds" of seeds from my plants. Sorry for the rant.

Spork

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Personally I've enjoyed the conversation. I grew KP a few years back just to renew the seed and ate what I did not send back to Russ. When I did I planted them in two separate locations because of the variations in the results even in the same year Plus they were planted a couple of weeks apart.. Both patches did well for me but one a little better than the other. I hope they do well for you.

@Ridgerunner you ate some? Did you eat them fresh or dried. How was the flavor?

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
someone already adopted some Purple Dove beans from the seed library at the library. :) i checked last night when we were coming back from running errands. so i made up a few more packets to take to them to keep spreading them around.

this afternoon will be a good time to do some more bean sorting.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bean mail today from a woman in Willich, Germany. I did a trade with her for 13 varieties.

Madelia - Bush. A Robert Lobitz bean that I did not have.
Madelia-Alex#24.JPG

Baddera Nera - Pole

Badda Nera#25.JPG

Mooriemer Suppenbohne - Bush Dry soup bean
Mooriemer-Suppenbohne#27.JPG

Zebra Aus Teneriffa - Pole
Zebra-Aus-Teneriffa#28.JPG

Aubrey Deane - Pole Lima
Aubrey-Deane#29.JPG

Schwarze Witwe - Pole
Schwarze-Witwe#30.JPG

Rotbeerbohne - Bush - Red Berry Bean