2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ's 2019 Bean Show Day #1

I grew A Cosser De Chevilly in 2017 and decided to try it this year in a place where I get really nice colors from the soil, but if it rains the soil stays very wet for a long time and the first time I planted in this place about two thirds of my seed rotted. So I planted really late this year thinking that by the end of June the weather would be very warm and the sun high in the sky and the sun would dry out any rain the occured quickly. I planted this place on June 28th
and the very next day we got 1.5 inches of rain. The soil was nicely tillable but very moist already and wouldn't you know about two thirds of my seed rotted again. I skiped planting in this place in 2018. A couple of these plants came up and I got .70 of an ounce (19.8 grams)

A Cosser De Chevilly
A Cosser De Chevilly.JPG

A Cosser De Chevilly Tray - .70.JPG

Full 2019 Seed Crop Of "A Cosser De Chevilly"

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

"African Premier" - Bush

I grew African Premier last year in 2018 and I thought I had seen runners coming from the plants. So I planted two seeds and just wanted to test the bean out in a flower pot to see if it would grow as a true bush as it is supposed to be. It grew as it was supposed to. What I got from this bean from a flowerpot was double what A Cosser De Chevilly did growing in the ground. African Premier produced 1.40 ounces of seed (39.6 grams)

African Premier.JPG

"African Premier" - Bush

African Premier - Tray 1.40.JPG

Full 2019 African Premeier Seed Crop From a Flowerpot

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

This year was not the greatest bean growing year however there always seems to be some neat surprises each season that makes all the work worth the effort.

The first bean is a Robert Lobitz Legacy bean. His legacy beans are the ones he would have probably been working with had he not passed away in 2006. It has not yet been named but soon as it seems stable I will be giving it a name with the same formula Robert used of naming his bean after places, counties, towns, rivers, creeks, valleys etc. This bean is a number coded bean and only Robert knew the meaning of this code. After I received a box of his legacy beans in 2015. I numbered all the packets. I thought it would help me keep track of any segregations or new crosses that resulted from them. I grew this bean last year in 2018 and one of the segregations from it I planted this year. The number of this bean was #15-Sux-YeE-6. The segregation looked like the first photo. However did not get back a single bean that looked like it this season. I planted 10 seeds of it and it developed two different off types or new segregations. Photos 2 and three are the new beans from #15-Sux-YeE-6. The first segregation looks like one of my original beans called Pawnee and the seed coat of this bean looks better in this same soil that I have grown Pawnee in before. Last time I grew Pawnee in this same soil it turned almost completely brown. Third photo is a shot of the entire crop of this bean 7.4 ounces (209.7 grams)

#15-Sux-YeE-6
View attachment 33433

View attachment 33434
#15-Sux-YeE-6 - Segregation #1

View attachment 33436
#15-Sux-YeE-6 - Segregation #2

View attachment 33440 -
Entire 2019 Seed crop of #15-Sux-YeE-6

the two off types are common patterns i've seen here with all the Top Notch beans and other spotted beans. i like them both.

do you recall them being a bush wax bean at all or were these pole beans?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

#12-97-97B. Another Robert Lobitz legacy bean. I grew this bean last year and it did not segregate. Grew true to type and it also did this year. The quantity of seed that 10 plants produced was disappointing. I have a plot in my backyard that some beans do poorly in and some do fairly well. The second photo is the entire crop 1.15 ounces (32.6 grams) This bean grew in the same soil as did #15-Sux-YeE-6.

#12-97-97B
View attachment 33437

View attachment 33439
Entire 2019 crop of
#12-97-97B

i have the same thing with some beans. i can grow some plants that will do well in about any soil i put them in and others are more picky.

next year i'm trying to increase the better performers in my mix to help get those good genes crossing around if possible. :) i love experimenting and doing grow outs, but i also want some beans to eat!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

"Algonquin" - Pole Dry. Was WB-PKT #4.1. In 2015 I received 52 packets of outcrossed beans from Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. I number them WB-PKT #1 - WB-PKT #52. In 2015 I grew packets 1-24. In 2016 I let my network of bean growers grow the rest of them if they wanted and they could name them, and any segregations that resulted from them. This year I finally gave this bean it's name of Algonquin after three grow outs without any off types. This bean did not do that well and I think it was from poor soil preperation. The place where I had this bean plot the fellow thought he was doing me a favor my tilling the plot this past spring to keep the weeds down, but he tilled it when it was too moist and it stayed cloddy and lumpy the rest of the season. I tilled it twice myself before planting but still could not get smooth and broken up enough. Some varieties grown there did very well some so, so and some not so well. I harvested a total of 2.6 ounces (73.7 grams).

Algonquin.JPG

"Algonquin" - Pole Dry

Algonquin  Tray - 2.60.JPG

Complete 2019 Algonquin Seed Crop

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
the two off types are common patterns i've seen here with all the Top Notch beans and other spotted beans. i like them both.

do you recall them being a bush wax bean at all or were these pole beans?

@flowerbug, All these beans except Algonquin have always been bush beans and none have been wax beans. All green pods.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great news!! I thought I had lost Galupka (Baker Creek Doesn't carry anymore) but now my row of Blue Lake bush has lots of yellow in it, I must've accidentally combined the seeds since they look identical! I have some blossom-bagged, so I am happy to be able to save them and grow them out next year, maybe eventually share them because I can't find them anywhere else! They are a great yellow snap bean, not tough like Yellow Wax when a little older, very tender.

I have some 2018 Galopka I can send you if these don't work out; just let me know...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some 2018 Galopka I can send you if these don't work out; just let me know...

i'm assuming these are a bush bean? how do they compare to Top Notch (if you're familiar with those)?

so far in all of my attempts to find a better wax bean than Top Notch in terms of flavor and productivity i've not come close to a decent contender.

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds like the beans grew more as semi runner plants. Oddly enough I have grown an number of pole beans this year that I have seen over grow my pole supports in previous grow outs. This year however they are remaining low to the ground. I have no idea what might have caused that to happen.

The Mbombo Green seed looks beautiful. Hang on to the Anasazi and try it again next year.

Galloway and Frost both grew as semi-runners for me this year; I did start them late, but honestly I think it was just a crap year for beans in this neck of the woods.

Latest posts