2019 Little Easy Bean Network - Come And Reawaken The Thrill Of Discovery

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Artorius, Nice looking seed in your jars. You have nice mid November weather and it looks like the middle of winter here. We have beenway below normal in temperatures since late October. I was wondering who was getting the mild weather. It had to be somewhere.

This is a photo from last year. On the right it's Vermont Appaloosa, on the left it's Polish Fasola z Orzełkiem (Bean with an Eagle). The figure around the eye for Poles is not a British soldier, but an eagle worn by Polish soldiers and all uniformed services. That's why the name.

Orzełek_na_czapkę_II_RP.jpg

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #12

Irish Connors - Pole - Snap

This bean had a really hard time this summer. You can see it in the best seed I could pick for the photo. Sent to me by Annette Barley (aftermidnight) in 2014. Total Seed Harvest Was: 1.75 ounces (49 grams).

Ken Connors born in Ireland in 1898. His family emmirgrated to Boston in 1900 and moved again to New Brunswick, Canada in 1907. Eventually making their way to, and settling in the Vancouver B.C. area. All the while growing and taking their bean with wherever they went. The Plants have white blossoms and flattened 7-8 inch long pods.

Irish Connors.JPG

Irish Connors - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jacob's Prairie - Bush - Dry

This is one of the many legacy beans of Robert Lobitz that I have been working with since 2015. It grew the same as last year, but it is hard to tell if there would have been any segregations as I had such a small amount of plants growing to tell anything this year about it's stablility. I named the bean last year for the very little town of Jacob's Prairie, Minnesota as Robert would probably have done. Total seed harvest .80 ounce (22 grams) most of it is probably in the photo.

Jacob's Prairie.JPG

Jacob's Prairie - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Jembo Polish - Pole - Snap

A rare large Seeded Snap that should be better known by gardeners. Impressive productive plants produce tasty green snap pods, or the soft immature seed can be used as a shell bean. Can be direct seeded when daytime temperatues reach into the 60's in well drained loose soil. Discovered this variety at Bill Best's Sustainable Mountain Agricultural Center seed swap in 2015. This bean did quite well this summer. Total Seed Harvest Was: 11.30 ounces (320 grams).

Jembo Polish.JPG

Jembo Polish - Pole, Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Johnsburg - Pole, Snap

A product of the many outcrossed beans sent to me in 2015 by Will Bonsall of Industry, Maine. The bean grew very well this summer. Green snap flattened pods about 9 inches long (22.86 cm). I believe this bean has already stablized. Total Seed Harvest: 15.85 ounces (449 grams). The bean is named after Johnsburg, Illinois. A small town in the county where I live.

Johnsburg.JPG

Johnsburg - Pole, Snap

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Karachaganack - Semi Runner - Dry

This bean is the product of the many outcrossed beans sent to me in 2015 by Will Bonsall of Industy, Maine. In 2016 because I had so many of these beans from Will. I asked the growers in our bean network if they would like to grow any of the beans from Packet numbers 25 to 52. This bean was grown and named in 2016 by Ridgerunner who lives in Arkansas. He will always have a personal connection to this beautiful bean. Total Seed Harvest: 8 ounces (20 grams).

Karachaganack.JPG

Karachaganack - Semi Runner, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #13

Kelly Lake - Bush - Dry

A Robert Lobitz origianl variety named by him and introduced through the Seed Savers Exchange Yearbook. I haven't found what year yet. After searching the internet for Lobitz beans I didn't have. A link for an Australian Seed company that carried this bean came up and I purchased it along with two other of Robert's beans they had. The seed company was Inspirations Garden Centre in Exeter, Tasmania, Australia. Only about three plants survived the extremely wet soil conditions after planting and I harvested 1.45 ounces of seed (41 grams) plus the another one or two plants produced an off type seed.
Kelly Lake.JPG

Kelly Lake - Bush, Dry

Kelly Lake OT.JPG

Kelly Lake Off Type - Bush, Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ Crow's 2019 Bean Show Day #13

Kifl Mucko - Pole - Dry

Kifl Mucko has grown better in the past, but what seed it did produce was fairly good quality. Obtained this bean in 2013 from my bean trading friend in Liebenfels, Austra. This variety is usually very productive, loaded with pods. This years seed harvest was: 6.40 ounces (183 grams).

Kifl Mucko.JPG

Kifl Mucko - Pole, Dry

Latest posts