2020 Little Easy Bean Network - An Exciting Adventure In Heirloom Beans !

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Veitch Wonder - Bush Dry. European variety never very much grown or well known in America. However I maybe changing that. My 2019 crop was sold out almost before the 2020 crop was dried. Not as productive as most modern dry varieties but I will keep growing it because to me it's so pretty. Hybrid of common bean(Phaseolus Vulgaris x a runner bean Phaseolus Coccineus) from the James Veitch Nurseries of Chelsea-UK-Anno 1900-1910. Found in 2015 by the Belgian Seedhunter Lieven Decrick in a Colombian Genebank.

Uzice Speckled Wax.jpg Veitch Wonder.jpg
Your Veitch Wonder seems to be the same as one I have from Bohnen-Atlas called Nain de Veitch. I believe Nain de means dwarf or bush.
Nain de Veitch is also a hybrid with Phaseous coccineus.

Attachments

• Nain de Veitch.jpg
    Nain de Veitch.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 216

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, interesting the variation of colouring in beans named Soldier. A quick google comes up with black markings and brown markings as well as your redder markings.
My form of Soldier came from the Heritage Seed Library here in UK and the makings are interestingly blotchy. Photos could have been upended more.

there are a lot of different variations in color and pattern for soldier beans. i have seen brown, black, yellow, red, pink, olive and tan. so far only the black, brown and red are close to stable. i have a ton of beans with partial markings or just small spots.

the yellow soldiers i had show up one season have not been stable at all and all of my replantings of them did not give me yellow soldier back. i gave some of the yellow soldier to @Bluejay77 last winter when we met at the seed swap and i'll bet if he ever plants them it will be lucky if he gets any yellow soldier back. i also tried to grow my yellow soldiers here this past season again and got back variations i have seen before. i.e. solid yellow and different types of white beans with various markings, but none close to what i planted. in among them i have a partial yellow marked bean that has two marks on it so those likely may end up eventually giving a yellow soldier again if they are crossed with Top Notch or one of the other soldier type beans i have.

but from all these i've also gotten a nice white bean which i've started to call Pheasant and that did give me back some more when i planted those this season so i'm glad at least one of these beans is showing some promise. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Another naming mystery. Heritage Seed Library in UK has an entirely different bean named Czechoslovakian which I grew this year. It was also prolific but not Romano type.
It gets funnier... I also grew a tomato this year named Czechoslovakian. :hu Both the bean & tomato of that name are "keepers".

Is the Heritage version a pole bean?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, since this is the 2020 bean thread, I guess I'll squeeze in the last of this year's beans. I grow & collect a lot of soybeans; while they are nowhere near as glamorous as Phaseolus beans, they do have some diversity. Yellow is not usually so dominant in my grow outs, three of the soybeans planted this year were failures. There should have been a couple more colors (including one with stripes). Unless noted, they are from the estate of the late Robert Lobitz, who also collected & bred soybeans. Like Robert's bean breeding lines that @Bluejay77 has saved, there were some soybean breeding lines too. But I did not have the space to grow them, and sadly, so one else was interested... so presumably they either died in storage, or were thrown out. :(

"Besarabka 724" is a high-yielding variety in Maturity Group I
"Crest" is a lower yielding but much earlier variety, in Maturity Group 00
20201205_165715.jpg 20201205_203314.jpg

"Fledderjohn" is an edamame variety, given to me by a trader at the Berea KY seed swap in 2013
"Gardensoy 24" is a very large, long-season edamame variety sent to me by the University of Illinois Urbana 2014
20201205_213917.jpg 20201205_162512.jpg

"Jewel" is a high-oil processing soybean, in Maturity Group II
"Kosodiguri Extra Early" is a very early edamame, with a very high protein content - about 50% when dry
20201205_204541.jpg 20201205_211444.jpg

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A few Polish beans with white seeds. I say they are boring all the time, but I can't live without them :)

Galopka - bush stringless snap wax
Galopka 2.jpg

Elektra - bush stringless snap wax
Elektra.jpg

Perełka (Little Pearl) - half-runner dry. Very small seeds, like Herrenbohnli bean.
Perełka.jpg

Nata (phaseolus coccineus) - bush with runners. Scarlet-sized seeds, more barrel-shaped.
Nata.jpg

Babcia Aniela (Grandma Aniela) - bush dry. Pea-sized seeds. They are not pure white, but rather light flesh-colored. I got the seeds from a friend from the Polish gardening forum. This bean has been in her family for over 100 years.
Babcia Aniela.jpg

This is my last post in 2020.

Happy New Year !!

Last edited:

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've been waiting for my second bean show of the year. I have two growing seasons down here. If I get the beans out pretty early they typically grow really well. Early means March 1st. I've already done that bean show on this thread way back when.

My second season is when the first harvest is over and I replant, maybe June to July. I don't trust this fall season. True bush beans never do well. Some climbing beans do OK but a lot of them don't, they just die. I don't trust what I see as to growth habit either, some that climb in the spring look like bush in the fall. One must try however. I tried to pick beans that I think do better down here in the heat and humidity for my fall planting.

All these are new segregations from what I grew this spring. All are supposed to be climbing but with new segregations you don't always get what you think you should.

I'll start with Ausmus Holler Black. This is a Segregation from last year that I planted this spring. This photo shows the bean I planted below and the three segregations I got in spring.

Ausmus Holler Beans.jpg

I planted these three beans this summer. I planted AHB-1 and it died. It started climbing and then was gone. Nothing from it. I planted AB-2 and got this. It repeated as a white bean. Not very exciting but it grew well.

AH B 2.jpg

I also planted AHB-3. This is where it gets weird. I only had a couple of beans sprout. One died. The other just barely hung on forever. It looks like a bush in growth habit but I don't trust that. I was fooled last fall by something similar, one of the Tartan segregations. Anyway, after the weather broke that tiny plant bloomed and set pods. I've gotten two dried pods so far, I'm covering it in the few frosts we've had to give the others time to fill out and hopefully ripen on the vine. I have four beans from that, no photos yet. Instead of that nice brown and black pattern it looks like they are going to be solid black.

So disappointed n this one but that's my late summer/fall bean season down here.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some segregations from from Voodoo in 2019. I planted one of them that I called Voodoo Black in the spring of 2020 and got these four segregations. You can see the bean that developed these at the bottom.

Voodoo Black Beans.jpg

I planted VB-1. The same kind of weird story as my previous post. Some came up but I wound up with only one very weak plant. Looks like a bush but who knows. It's another that bloomed late and set pods. So far I have collected one pod that dried up and got one bean yesterday. No photos yet but I'm protecting it from frost and hope to get a few more. Looks like it will be a solid purple back bean.

I planted VB-2, a red bean. It did well, a climbing growth habit. I got two segregations. The first photo is pretty bad I didn't realize it had that much glare. But it is really black. I'll cllit VB2-A

VB 2 A.jpg

I'll call the other segregation VB2-B. It's red with a pattern.
VB 2 B.jpg

I also planted VB-3, a white climbing bean, probably a half runner. It did pretty well but had a bush growth habit this fall. Why is it the whites that don't segregate?

VB 3 Bush.jpg

I did not plant VB-4.

I'm not sure what I'll plant of the Voodoo tree next spring. I do want to carry it forward, when it does well it is prolific.