2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had rain yesterday and last night. more chances on the way today if the forecast is right.
We had 3 inches Monday morning in about 2 and half hours. Yesterday we had another inch. As dry of a summer as it's been I really have to say "Enough Already".

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had 3 inches Monday morning in about 2 and half hours. Yesterday we had another inch. As dry of a summer as it's been I really have to say "Enough Already".

it was too dry for a long time here, but now is not a good time to have a ton of rain. and yes, what you got earlier today we're getting now and it is just starting up. looks like it will be a good amount too. ah well, all in another bean growing season. :)

in the end what happens will be, there's not much i can do here to stop the rains so it will be the usual late season scramble in between rains and dry spells to get things picked and dried out.

one more hot day and then back to a bit more moderate for several days. i'll get everything picked and dried out that i can.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
booger chipmunks getting the soybeans now. i haven't been able to hunt them and i was hoping they'd leave them alone so i didn't put any traps out. tomorrow morning i'll have to see if i can get the traps set.

picked more dry pods today. we have one more evening with chances of rain and then the next handful of days are going to be cooler and dry so that should help me out for getting some of the drier pods picked.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
booger chipmunks getting the soybeans now. i haven't been able to hunt them and i was hoping they'd leave them alone so i didn't put any traps out. tomorrow morning i'll have to see if i can get the traps set.

picked more dry pods today. we have one more evening with chances of rain and then the next handful of days are going to be cooler and dry so that should help me out for getting some of the drier pods picked.
My traps all caught MICE. No voles. 😟

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Uh oh. 12 f-15 ft leaning tower of Bean-zza...
The multitude of possibilities in looming & catastrophic disasters never cease.
20210812_161341.jpg

Strangely, some of the first dried beans are Mbombo. Put these in as seed too, not transplants.
20210812_161138.jpg

Out everyday trying to rescue any close-to-dry beans from rain which is wreaking havoc on the bush plants. Or vole victims that still managed a few mature pods. This is Goose Gullet and Black Russian favas.
20210811_203755.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i did not get out very early this morning to set traps so i thought that i'd missed the window of opportunity for the morning, but as it turned out... i set the rat trap with peanut butter spread on the bottom of the pan and then a little on the top too, along with sticking some raisins underneath and one on the bit of metal that is on the trip pan. a few minutes before i was finishing up i heard the trap go off and figured from the sound that i didn't catch anything, but the miscreant was in there and it had an instant death. a pretty healthy and big chipmunk too. said "I'm sorry." and buried it. :( poor little creature...

if i'm lucky this was the only one. i haven't seen many others around lately so we'll see...

i got some of the earliest dry beans all picked and i don't think there's much more anyplace else yet.

Fort Portal Jade had some pods that were dry, but the seeds weren't fully formed. there are some other pods on the plants, but i'm not sure i'll get anything from them. so much for planting them early enough to get them to finish early...

in the earliest Purple Dove plants i went through and got all the driest pods so we're ok with those for a few days yet before i'll go through again. among the plants there was a few plants that had and off type pod, but since i didn't like the fresh beans and the pods weren't that easy to shell and i didn't notice the seeds being different enough or interesting enough i'll cull those plants. this may be similar to one of the other Lobitz purple beans i've grown so having this type show up was not a big surprise to me. so far though i have not found any other off-types in PD. i usually check at least one pod from a plant to see if the seeds are different and nada so far.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
what did you bait them with? mice can certainly do some damage with dry beans, but i've never bothered to trap for them here since they only seem to get a few.
I was hoping to catch the vole/voles, not mice, as I've seen him/them around. Possibly one vole has died as I found one just sitting in the grass, looking very blind, as my kids and I had crowded around him wondering what was wrong with him staying so still (this was before I realized my problem) and he had flies hovering around him-never a good sign health wise for an animal. I felt bad for the dead little mice, they look almost like cartoons of cuteness. I can't imagine they were up to much, but I have no idea. Peanut butter, just a few drops, were on the trap.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i did not get out very early this morning to set traps so i thought that i'd missed the window of opportunity for the morning, but as it turned out... i set the rat trap with peanut butter spread on the bottom of the pan and then a little on the top too, along with sticking some raisins underneath and one on the bit of metal that is on the trip pan. a few minutes before i was finishing up i heard the trap go off and figured from the sound that i didn't catch anything, but the miscreant was in there and it had an instant death. a pretty healthy and big chipmunk too. said "I'm sorry." and buried it. :( poor little creature...

if i'm lucky this was the only one. i haven't seen many others around lately so we'll see...

i got some of the earliest dry beans all picked and i don't think there's much more anyplace else yet.

Fort Portal Jade had some pods that were dry, but the seeds weren't fully formed. there are some other pods on the plants, but i'm not sure i'll get anything from them. so much for planting them early enough to get them to finish early...

in the earliest Purple Dove plants i went through and got all the driest pods so we're ok with those for a few days yet before i'll go through again. among the plants there was a few plants that had and off type pod, but since i didn't like the fresh beans and the pods weren't that easy to shell and i didn't notice the seeds being different enough or interesting enough i'll cull those plants. this may be similar to one of the other Lobitz purple beans i've grown so having this type show up was not a big surprise to me. so far though i have not found any other off-types in PD. i usually check at least one pod from a plant to see if the seeds are different and nada so far.
My one Fort Portal Jade bean got hit by the vole, but amazingly the seeds though not completely dry were perfectly formed in the few pods I cracked open. I'm hoping that I'll get enough to fill a cupped hand.

Latest posts