2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good news (sorta) @Bluejay77 I planted 2 rows of network bean Passage to India, one row is being decimated by sclerotina from the insane every cotton pickin' day biblical rain, and humidity, (I can barely get the salt out of my salt shaker!) but the other row is still truckin'. Even still I had one or two transplants of that bean, and though a vole got the one tranplant some of the pods were nearly dry. I collected this today -
20210813_180552.jpg

So worst case scenario, I can try again. But the one row may still come out fine and I'll have enough seeds to return. (Fingers crossed!)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was hoping to catch the vole/voles, not mice, as I've seen him/them around. Possibly one vole has died as I found one just sitting in the grass, looking very blind, as my kids and I had crowded around him wondering what was wrong with him staying so still (this was before I realized my problem) and he had flies hovering around him-never a good sign health wise for an animal. I felt bad for the dead little mice, they look almost like cartoons of cuteness. I can't imagine they were up to much, but I have no idea. Peanut butter, just a few drops, were on the trap.

try bits of fruit attached to the trip pan as i think they'll really go for that. mice and chipmunks will go for peanut butter and to change it up you can put sunflower seeds and raisins in the peanut butter too.

i think @Zeedman has used apricots for his traps. maybe raisins would work too? they sure worked yesterday in combination with the peanut butter. checked the rat traps later in the day and neither of them were touched. so perhaps that one chipmunk was the dominant male in the area and it will take a few days/weeks for the rest of them to notice that the balance has been changed...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My one Fort Portal Jade bean got hit by the vole, but amazingly the seeds though not completely dry were perfectly formed in the few pods I cracked open. I'm hoping that I'll get enough to fill a cupped hand.

they don't like it here. i hope to get some seeds so i can keep replanting but i'm mainly trying to get them to cross with something else for the shape and color. if i can get them to cross with Purple Dove to pick up more or all of the positive traits that would be great. i should really start learning how to hand pollinate beans because this would be a fun project to attempt more directly.

i've also tried to grow Bomba here a few seasons and had similar results. just some beans don't like it here. again i liked the rounded shape of them and hoped they'd cross but i've not seen any signs of that.

i have some other rounded shaped beans like Yellow Eye and some of the Monster and Domino children which i'm working with so there are always sources of rounded beans being planted here. i just want the even more rounded shape like FPJ.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh oh. 12 f-15 ft leaning tower of Bean-zza...
The multitude of possibilities in looming & catastrophic disasters never cease.

oh yeah! :) Momma Nature does like to play with us too. :)

the Goose Gullet reminds me a lot of the Early Warwick. yet another rounder shaped bean that i really like for the shape and the seed coat color/pattern is wonderful too. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news (sorta) @Bluejay77 I planted 2 rows of network bean Passage to India, one row is being decimated by sclerotina from the insane every cotton pickin' day biblical rain, and humidity, (I can barely get the salt out of my salt shaker!) but the other row is still truckin'. Even still I had one or two transplants of that bean, and though a vole got the one tranplant some of the pods were nearly dry. I collected this today -
Looks like you are going to do fine with the Passage to India. You have got a little over half of your return quota in your photo already. Plus you got another entire row growing well. Just make sure your beans are very well dried upon return. Last year I had a grower harvest a late for them variety and when the return came the beans had molded in their packet on the way here.

As I write this I'm also curious to see what time gets put on this post. Looks like flowerbug stayed up late when he made two of his most recent posts. Time right now is 6:24 am central daylight savings time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i fell asleep early and woke up about 12:30am so i stayed up until 4am and then slept another few hours. :) your post says it was made at 7:23am for me, but they do have the option set your time-zone in the profile preferences, but this only actually changes the displayed time on the main page or posts if you sign in. sometimes i browse to see if there are things i'd like to reply to before i sign in and then that time display depends upon what @Nifty or @Support have set it up to show - which may be the local time for pacific time or such.

i have mine set to eastern time zone.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see that the time on my post is correct. Actually the clock on my computer is 45 seconds ahead of the actual time.

it looks like (when i sign off) that the time zone for the site is configured to be Central Time zone. :)

off to the races, it is going to be a busy day here. while the weather and mornings are cooler it helps to get going as early as i can.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
they don't like it here. i hope to get some seeds so i can keep replanting but i'm mainly trying to get them to cross with something else for the shape and color. if i can get them to cross with Purple Dove to pick up more or all of the positive traits that would be great. i should really start learning how to hand pollinate beans because this would be a fun project to attempt more directly.

i've also tried to grow Bomba here a few seasons and had similar results. just some beans don't like it here. again i liked the rounded shape of them and hoped they'd cross but i've not seen any signs of that.

i have some other rounded shaped beans like Yellow Eye and some of the Monster and Domino children which i'm working with so there are always sources of rounded beans being planted here. i just want the even more rounded shape like FPJ.
I've had my eye on Bomba for awhile, so pretty! I think that in your climate, beans planted in a way so that they will get shade for a part of the day might work. Gardening books etc. always say 'full sun' for nearly everything but in my experience it depends. Last summer I had large tomato rows, all full sun, and had 2 lesser value varieties on the end, in partial shade. Those 2 did better than ANY in the full exposure rows, I believe, because it was 30+ for a lot of the time. I think this can apply to certain beans too. My FPJ had some shade as it was in a patch of taller semi runners throwing shade on it.

Latest posts