2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Try writing a clear message on the bubble wrap plastic with pretty small bubbles. You can do it but it is not real clear, not what you want when you are trying to sort through things. It's crumpled up so it can expand.
Maybe a sticky white label with the name on that might work? I use white stationary labels because they stick to anything, except stuff with dirt on it.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
'Horticultural White'
20210819_162251.jpg

A 'Bamberger Blaue' pod got got sclerotina so I plucked out the good shellies from it to peek. Pretty!
20210819_162628.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe a sticky white label with the name on that might work? I use white stationary labels because they stick to anything, except stuff with dirt on it.
I just got a box of the smooth sided bags. That was a simple fix. The purpose of the original post was just to warn others about those new zip-loc type bags if a zip-loc type of bag is part of their system.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just got a box of the smooth sided bags. That was a simple fix. The purpose of the original post was just to warn others about those new zip-loc type bags if a zip-loc type of bag is part of their system.

no, i have small plastic containers that i use and then for bigger amounts i use quart yogurt containers with clear tops so i can see inside without opening them and to bundle containers together i use shoe boxes. for bulk beans i use the yogurt containers or gallon glass jars. if i could find small glass square containers with nice lids i would gladly use them instead, but they are not cheap to buy in quantities and i have a few thousand plastic containers to use up instead anyways. at the rate i'm using them it might be a lifetime supply...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know. I store all of my seeds in zip lock bags too (the type, not the brand), and quickly discovered that all bags are not equal. For one thing, you want to use freezer bags for seeds; they are more impervious to moisture, and have stronger seals. I also found out that some popular brands are poorly suited for larger quantities of beans... had the zipper seal fail on several gallon-size Zip Lock freezer bags, spilling the entire contents when I picked up the bag. :mad:

For long-term seed storage, I seldom write on the bags themselves, since I don't want to chance that the solvent in the marker will weaken the bag wall. I enclose small index cards, with variety name, source info, any isolation techniques used, and the year & location grown. When I send out seed samples, I cut down index cards on a photo trimmer to fit in the smaller bags.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Vignas are really drying down now.

20210820_221835.jpg 20210818_131604.jpg
Yellow Mungo from the Philippines.

20210820_221853.jpg 20210820_224300.jpg
Buff Adzuki (left), and India Bush hyacinth bean (right). The hyacinth beans have a very heavy pod set, and are just starting to dry. I have to make a special effort to keep the Buff Adzuki & Yellow Mungo separated; because while the pods are very different, I'd need a magnifying glass to separate the seeds.

All three of the above (and Black Gram, not yet ripe) were re-grown due to very low production last year, and are doing very well this year. They actually seem to thrive in the excess moisture that has stunted all of the Phaseolus beans in the rural plot.

20210818_140352.jpg

Early soybeans are starting to ripen. This is GL2216-84, from N. Korea. Very high protein dry weight (over 50%), but like all early soybeans, supposed to be low yielding. It has out-performed itself this year. Two other early varieties are beginning to dry down.

20210820_094259.jpg

The unnamed cowpea that @Bluejay77 sent to me seems to be in full bloom now. It appears to be a heavy yielder... provided the pods can ripen before frost.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good to know. I store all of my seeds in zip lock bags too (the type, not the brand), and quickly discovered that all bags are not equal. For one thing, you want to use freezer bags for seeds; they are more impervious to moisture, and have stronger seals. I also found out that some popular brands are poorly suited for larger quantities of beans... had the zipper seal fail on several gallon-size Zip Lock freezer bags, spilling the entire contents when I picked up the bag. :mad:

For long-term seed storage, I seldom write on the bags themselves, since I don't want to chance that the solvent in the marker will weaken the bag wall. I enclose small index cards, with variety name, source info, any isolation techniques used, and the year & location grown. When I send out seed samples, I cut down index cards on a photo trimmer to fit in the smaller bags.
I keep all my beans in jars, with a label stuck to the outside of the glass. 2 other main crops I grow (with tiny, flat seeds) I put in a white envelope then inside a ziploc. Part of why I do it this way is because years ago I watched a seed documentary and a seed saver in it mentioned the potential DNA altering effect of plastic on seeds - if saved in any kind of plastic material for a length of time. I have no idea if this notion has much merit. But until I heard this I had never thought about the plastic. Probably type of plastic matters, some better than others. I would not drink out of a disposable water bottle that heated up in my car, nor one that has been frozen, because I've read temp. extremes cause that type of plastic to break down quickly. All my berries are frozen in ziplocs though.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure where the seed saver in the documentary got the idea that plastic containers could alter seed DNA. I'd be really curious to see the science supporting that conclusion. Possibly some older plastic containers gave off fumes? Given that freezer bags are approved for food storage, I'm confident that they are safe for seeds as well. I've had nothing but good results since 2000.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I
Not sure where the seed saver in the documentary got the idea that plastic containers could alter seed DNA. I'd be really curious to see the science supporting that conclusion. Possibly some older plastic containers gave off fumes? Given that freezer bags are approved for food storage, I'm confident that they are safe for seeds as well. I've had nothing but good results since 2000.
I'm not of sure either @Zeedman. I did google 'effects of plastic on DNA' out of curiosity and there was some stuff on it, mostly related to human DNA and BPA. I haven't a clue really about any of it, I just always remembered that person in the documentary mentioning it. I mainly use glass jars in case a mouse gets in the house really, as its happened once in the last 10 years and damage was put on some of my seeds, about 70 packets.