2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... It is hard to believe that this much diversity exists within the bean world. As far as collecting heirlooms goes, beans are still my absolute favourite. 😊

addictive... :)

when shelling out beans i'm getting up and down to show Mom what interesting or new beans i'm coming across.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The next beans that I have finished harvesting.

Karachaganak bush.
Last year, a few plants grew with this type of growth from a seed sample I got from @Bluejay77. Four of them survived the hailstorm, I harvested seeds and sowed again this year. They all grew as a true bush. Most of the seeds are smaller and more rounded than those of the half runner versions. The color pattern remained unchanged.

Karachaganak bush 1.jpg
Karachaganak bush 2.jpg

Robert Hazelwood
I only had 5 seeds, because that's what the Belgian collector Guy Dirix could send me. I got a good harvest from them and I am glad to be able to send him more of this bean this winter.

Robert Hazelwood 1.jpg
Robert Hazelwood 2.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The next beans that I have finished harvesting.

Karachaganak bush.
Last year, a few plants grew with this type of growth from a seed sample I got from @Bluejay77. Four of them survived the hailstorm, I harvested seeds and sowed again this year. They all grew as a true bush. Most of the seeds are smaller and more rounded than those of the half runner versions. The color pattern remained unchanged.

View attachment 43456

the bush type are sure lovely!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Robert Hazelwood
I only had 5 seeds, because that's what the Belgian collector Guy Dirix could send me. I got a good harvest from them and I am glad to be able to send him more of this bean this winter.

Robert Hazelwood 1.jpg
Perhaps that bean should have been named Joseph Hazelwood? Given the appearance of the bean... :lol:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , the unnamed cowpea has already started drying en masse! So regardless of its late bloom, the DTM for first dry pods is about 90 days. The description given to you of "purple pods" apparently referred to their color when dry.
20210831_135604.jpg

The vines are really loaded. DW wanted to be included in the photo... sort of. ;)
20210831_131303.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , the unnamed cowpea has already started drying en masse! So regardless of its late bloom, the DTM for first dry pods is about 90 days. The description given to you of "purple pods" apparently referred to their color when dry.
Awsome ! I'm glad I could pass a winner on to you.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
out picking beans this morning for a few hours. there's a lot more to pick out there for later this week. i have to sort some tonight to get the drier pods apart from those that aren't ready yet. that will be tonight's chore.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
View attachment 43510

The vines are really loaded. DW wanted to be included in the photo... sort of. ;)
View attachment 43509
What a gorgeous photo. Those beans tho! Wow! If those are Swiss chard plants in the row, what fine looking unblemished leaves they have 😍