2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Lemon Slice is really pretty bean. I have this bean that flowerbug sent to me in 2018. I really need to do a grow out on it. It's got to get on my grow out roster for next year. That is unique as anything Robert Lobitz came up with. I have never seen this in a bean before.

i'll send you a newer sample from this year's network growout returns @Bluejay77 as that will be three more seasons towards being more stable than what you have. it is a more finicky bean than i'd like but i keep growing it hoping it will cross with one of my other regular beans to improve it yet some more.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more beanie babies

first the Huey harvest and a few fun things. since we were talking about reverse patterns i had a few (which i have seen before). i also had two beans that look like siamese twins they were wrapped so tightly together. i'd not seen that in a long time as i have seen the cutshorts packed in tightly before but not as far as being side by side like these two are.

DSC_20210828_114620-0400_1076_Huey_Twins_thm.jpg

and some more Monster Children from the other side of the color spectrum (in the reds, oranges and yellows). there is a good chance that the more red ones are a bean that i've been trying to happen for many years. i've had some partial white end red beans before but they have not grown out well after appearing and the shape was more flat than i wanted. these are more rounded and much closer to what i wanted. i hope they'll continue growing and returning for a few years so i can get a name on them. i also am quite happy with the yellow, orange and red combinations in there too.

DSC_20210828_115134-0400_1078_The_Other_Clan_thm.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Lemon Slice is really pretty bean. I have this bean that flowerbug sent to me in 2018. I really need to do a grow out on it. It's got to get on my grow out roster for next year. That is unique as anything Robert Lobitz came up with. I have never seen this in a bean before.

i also have a unique pattern in a bean i call Yed, which i planted to grow out again this year and i'm not sure it repeated. it was one of my earlier strange results in the same era as when Sunset showed up - i've not had very good luck getting it to grow out further.

the pattern shows up in this picture faintly as a lighter yellow blotchy mark in the bean - i wish i'd had a better picture of these but i think this is the best i was ever able to get.

p1170013_Yed.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i also have a unique pattern in a bean i call Yed, which i planted to grow out again this year and i'm not sure it repeated. it was one of my earlier strange results in the same era as when Sunset showed up - i've not had very good luck getting it to grow out further.

the pattern shows up in this picture faintly as a lighter yellow blotchy mark in the bean - i wish i'd had a better picture of these but i think this is the best i was ever able to get.

p1170013_Yed.jpg
That background looks familiar... I'm sure I've seen it somewhere. :rolleyes:

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like seeing all the bean photos as they dry! Unfortunately nothing dry here yet (other than our yellow peas). But here's a photo of Viola that we took a few weeks ago. We are really enjoying this bean! I know you listed it as a dry bean, @Bluejay77, and we will harvest most dry but I tried some fresh and it was very good. Pretty tender with a pleasant flavor.

My wife grew these in honor of her grandmother, whose middle name was Viola.

FE202536-F3DD-4682-9928-362C9A0D5123.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 the network beans are beginning to dry more pods and I'm starting to be able to appreciate the beauty of them in numbers instead of single odd pods here and there. I am just loving the Passage to India bean; so unusual in so many ways. Though it is probably the tiniest bean I've ever grown, it is intensely coloured in such a beautiful speckled colouring. It really is a marvel, and early to boot. They are so light that they almost don't seem real. I'm also really loving the Tigre bean. That true dusty pink is so very pretty (it's a girl thing lol) and the vibrant dark chocolatey stripes and markings against it is so striking - grouped together in a bunch they are bedazzling beans. Bamberger Blaue, the off type as well as the true form, are just gorgeous too. Little works of art they are. Such a spectacular colouring. It is hard to believe that this much diversity exists within the bean world. As far as collecting heirlooms goes, beans are still my absolute favourite. 😊

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How did you figure out the correct name of Dead Man's Tooth? This bean originally came to the U.S. via Joseph Simcox who has a habbit of putting new names on beans.

@Bluejay77
I collected and compared information and photos that are on your and Italian websites and then confronted the seeds I harvested. Everything is correct. The shape, the size of the seeds (this is a Cannellini type bean, so I had a reference point), the color, there is even a light yellow ring around the eye. The only unknown was the type of growth. In your description it is pole bean, but all 11 plants I had grew as a true bush, which is how Dente Di Morto bean should grow. Besides,the English name Dead Man's Tooth is the literal translation of the Italian name. It is so interesting that Joseph Simcox did not want to change it, I suppose.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like seeing all the bean photos as they dry! Unfortunately nothing dry here yet (other than our yellow peas). But here's a photo of Viola that we took a few weeks ago. We are really enjoying this bean! I know you listed it as a dry bean, @Bluejay77, and we will harvest most dry but I tried some fresh and it was very good. Pretty tender with a pleasant flavor.

My wife grew these in honor of her grandmother, whose middle name was Viola.

View attachment 43449

Viola looks like another purple Robert Lobitz bean, so i had to look it up, yes it is. as i've found with Purple Dove they are an excellent fresh eating bean when picked early enough and a very productive dry bean too. they don't cook up fast like some shellies but i've used them that way too, takes about 45 minutes. still good. :) we use PD as our main fresh eating bean because they are very reliable here in all our gardens - not many beans i grow do as well.

Latest posts