2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I finished harvesting Huey bean. I have quite a lot of not very large seeds with a typical Goat Eye coloration with a pink coating.

Huey 1.jpg

Huey 2.jpg

Half runner, height about 1.5 meters.

Another network bean whose seeds I will be able to return is Dead Man's Tooth. She comes from Italy, her original name is Fagiolo Dente Di Morto Di Acerra. @Bluejay77, this is not a pole bean, it is a true bush and it should be.

Dente Di Morto.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finished harvesting Huey bean. I have quite a lot of not very large seeds with a typical Goat Eye coloration with a pink coating.

View attachment 43408

View attachment 43409

Half runner, height about 1.5 meters.

aww! :) ❤️

Huey is about twice the size of one of the parents (a tan goats eye bean from the blend called Peregion that i got from Vermont Bean Co. years ago...) and about the same size as the other parent Red Ryder. you might be able to get the size to increase some by keeping selecting the larger ones to replant, but i'm not really too geared towards that here since i often want beans to be on the smalller side - just so i am sure they'll finish up in time.

as it is a fairly early bean that is also one of my goals of working with new selections.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also started harvesting Lemon Slice. I have two types of seeds.
The first is quite large seeds with clearly visible yellow swirls.

View attachment 43406

The second is the seeds that are smaller, with a very light, almost invisible yellow color.

View attachment 43407

Half runner, plants are about 1.8 meters high.

yay! i'm so glad you got some of them to continue! i was worried that with a small seed sample that you might not get the pattern as the seeds i gave to @Bluejay77 were from the 2nd year grow out, so not very stable yet.

cull out the lighter ones, they're all edible. :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 has two greys as the named varieties Cyrus Grays and Pale Grey Lavender and i would take Cyrus Grays as they are an Robert Lobitz bean.

i really wish there was some history of Dapple Grey.

i'm not sure how stable they are yet. they're doing ok, but i have one or two more years yet before i'll be sure of that.

i don't have a any quantity of these yet so i won't be offering samples until they're grown out better.
Sorry @flowerbug , my bad - for some reason I thought you were looking for help with growing out some of your monster progeny. That's what I get for cruising into too many different threads and whip reading through the posts 😂

Turns out today I found a very pretty cross! It's only my 2nd cross ever to be found in my garden, very lovely dark purple & white. Came from a Vermont Appaloosa bean I had bought at the bulk store. Pretty stoked for it 😁

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry @flowerbug , my bad - for some reason I thought you were looking for help with growing out some of your monster progeny. That's what I get for cruising into too many different threads and whip reading through the posts 😂

it's ok. part of worries i might have about sending beans through the border is that i don't know any of the regulations or rules of that and with just a few seeds in existance i don't want to risk them being impounded or destroyed.

Turns out today I found a very pretty cross! It's only my 2nd cross ever to be found in my garden, very lovely dark purple & white. Came from a Vermont Appaloosa bean I had bought at the bulk store. Pretty stoked for it 😁

picture! :) i remember my first fun with beans and the way things can cross or revert to parental traits. some of my green beans were getting runners on them and the beans were not at all like what i planted and then a year later i had some green beans that were much easier to shell out from some other kind of cross. then i bought more beans and created even more chaos. :) it hasn't really stopped since then and i have no complaints as it keeps things interesting and gives me beans and projects to work on.

i have a lot of fun coming from Vermont Appaloosa here too. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also started harvesting Lemon Slice. I have two types of seeds.
The first is quite large seeds with clearly visible yellow swirls.
That Lemon Slice is really pretty bean. I have this bean that flowerbug sent to me in 2018. I really need to do a grow out on it. It's got to get on my grow out roster for next year. That is unique as anything Robert Lobitz came up with. I have never seen this in a bean before.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another network bean whose seeds I will be able to return is Dead Man's Tooth. She comes from Italy, her original name is Fagiolo Dente Di Morto Di Acerra. @Bluejay77, this is not a pole bean, it is a true bush and it should be.
How did you figure out the correct name of Dead Man's Tooth? This bean originally came to the U.S. via Joseph Simcox who has a habbit of putting new names on beans.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's ok. part of worries i might have about sending beans through the border is that i don't know any of the regulations or rules of that and with just a few seeds in existance i don't want to risk them being impounded or destroyed.
@flowerbug you can send seed over the U.S. Canadian border as garden seed. Canadians are allowed 2.2 pounds
(1 kilo) for personal use. I doubt you will ever get close to that amount. Just declare the package contents as garden seed on your customs form and as a gift with a small monetary amount. Use customs form 2978-R.

Last edited: