2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday a person that signed up new on TheEasyGarden.com. emailed me the following message below. Can anyone here give any ideas about this persons dilema.

I am hoping that you could help me. My membership to The Easy Garden forum was approved yesterday, and I planned to post in the Bean Network thread this morning. However I've found that I've been banned for "posting spam" (I'd made a post last night offering to help with the hull-less pumpkin seed project) and it says to contact an administrator if this is in error... but I'm banned, and cannot navigate the site to find contact information. Could you please help me?

@Support would be the obvious tag/id to query.

to person who might be ok and unfortunately banned, please be aware that spammers can be a problem and so sometimes innocent posts and posters might get caught in the cross-fire. :( sorry! hang in there, be patient and i hope this can get sorted out. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got another email from this person. Below is the latest the have told me today.

Thank you so much. My screen name was "bumbylbee". My husband came up with the idea of deleting my cookies, which allowed me to navigate the site again. I found a contact link and filled out the form, but have not heard anything back yet.

I hope that they let me back in. :) So excited to find others that share an interest in beans!

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday a person that signed up new on TheEasyGarden.com. emailed me the following message below. Can anyone here give any ideas about this persons dilema.

I am hoping that you could help me. My membership to The Easy Garden forum was approved yesterday, and I planned to post in the Bean Network thread this morning. However I've found that I've been banned for "posting spam" (I'd made a post last night offering to help with the hull-less pumpkin seed project) and it says to contact an administrator if this is in error... but I'm banned, and cannot navigate the site to find contact information. Could you please help me?
All I can think of is that this person posted a link in the post, or in their signature, which appeared to be SPAM or commercial. I hope that situation can be resolved, we could use more volunteers on the pumpkin project, as well as here on the Little Easy.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have such petty thieves in Poland. Fortunately, they are mostly interested in nuts, not beans. I have a large walnut next to my house and many times a squirrel has climbed on it while I was standing a few steps away. Their insolence is really fun.

View attachment 45855
He looks like a little devil @Artorius, with those fur horns! Cute!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I see a new bean on the 🇨🇦 horizon here, 'Verna's Dry Bush'. It looks like it came from the John Withee's collection to my surprise. I didn't order it and wonder if I maybe should have. Anyone know if it's really special or possessing some unique attributes? It looks pretty, but much like the 'horticultural' beans I have - Taylor's Horticultural in particular. I'm not sure I should add more than the ones I have.

I hesitate to pose this question as I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but given Verna's, I can't help but finally put it down - what on earth is a horticultural bean? I've done a bit of research here and there on that subject as that term comes up so much in regards to beans, but I've never really found anything that seemed to explain it satisfactorily. Then there is the 'cranberry bean' designation - another mystery to me which seems parallel to the hort designation. As far as I can tell, it tends to be a beige bean with maroon speckles. But, I have a 'White Horticultural' bean and it's just pure white. Is there such a thing as a 'Black Horticultural' bean? In fact, the seed catalogue I picked WH from had the beans divided into sections, one of which was 'horticultural beans' and none of them really matched one another in the looks department. I wonder if some beans just get that label put on them and that's about it? No real rhyme of reason?

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I see a new bean on the 🇨🇦 horizon here, 'Verna's Dry Bush'. It looks like it came from the John Withee's collection to my surprise. I didn't order it and wonder if I maybe should have. Anyone know if it's really special or possessing some unique attributes? It looks pretty, but much like the 'horticultural' beans I have - Taylor's Horticultural in particular. I'm not sure I should add more than the ones I have.

I hesitate to pose this question as I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but given Verna's, I can't help but finally put it down - what on earth is a horticultural bean? I've done a bit of research here and there on that subject as that term comes up so much in regards to beans, but I've never really found anything that seemed to explain it satisfactorily. Then there is the 'cranberry bean' designation - another mystery to me which seems parallel to the hort designation. As far as I can tell, it tends to be a beige bean with maroon speckles. But, I have a 'White Horticultural' bean and it's just pure white. Is there such a thing as a 'Black Horticultural' bean? In fact, the seed catalogue I picked WH from had the beans divided into sections, one of which was 'horticultural beans' and none of them really matched one another in the looks department. I wonder if some beans just get that label put on them and that's about it? No real rhyme of reason?
I have no idea how correct this is but that's the term I use to describe any large bean with streaks of color on it. Many beans that have 'Cranberry' in the name would fit into this category (but not True Cranberry).

I've also heard this term used for the lima-shaped beans like Dolloff or Chester but .. I'm not sure that's right.

There's also French Horticultural which I think refers to the wide, flat pod types but I'm not 100% sure.

Ya know, I thought I knew what I was talking about when I started this reply.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have no idea how correct this is but that's the term I use to describe any large bean with streaks of color on it. Many beans that have 'Cranberry' in the name would fit into this category (but not True Cranberry).

I've also heard this term used for the lima-shaped beans like Dolloff or Chester but .. I'm not sure that's right.

There's also French Horticultural which I think refers to the wide, flat pod types but I'm not 100% sure.

Ya know, I thought I knew what I was talking about when I started this reply.
:lol::lol::lol:
I was afraid to start the topic because it seems to me truly bewildering & the more deeply you descend the more you grasp at smoke....

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 24- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Rabbit's Foot 3- Bush Dry

I have had a whole mess of segregations from 3 beans that I discovered in a 2 pound package of Jacob's Cattle beans that I ordered one time from Rancho Gordo in California. This segregation looks just like the original. If it ever becomes stable I will drop the number 3 designation and it will become my offical Rabbit's Foot. This bean did produce one off type this year but not in large quantity. Most of the beans from RF3 were the dark and white ones.

Red Eyed Ranger - Bush Dry

This is a bean that has been with me for a very long time. Like since the early 1980's. It still won't stop putting out segreations. However I think it's very pretty and will keep growing it from time to time. Sometimes it produces very few segregations. It did produced one that it usually always comes up with. A short white one with a little dab of red on one side of the eye. So Red Eyed Ranger produced 4 other new segregations that I had not seen previously from this bean.

rabbits foot 3.jpgrabbits foot 3 OT.jpg
Rabbit's Foot 3.................................................................Rabbit's Foot 3 Off Type

red eyed ranger.jpgred eyed ranger OT 1.jpg
Red Eyed Ranger.............................................................Red Eyed Ranger Off Type 1

red eyed ranger OT 2.jpgred eyed ranger OT 3.jpg
Red Eyed Ranger Off Type 2.........................................Red Eyed Ranger Off Type 3

red eyed ranger OT 4.jpgred eyed ranger OT 5.jpg
Red Eyed Ranger Off Type 4..............................................Red Eyed Ranger Off Type 5

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 24- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Rabbit's Foot 4- Bush Dry

Another Rabbit's Foot segregation I grew this year. Looks just like the off type that Rabbit's Foot 3 produced. These Rabbit's foot segregations do a lot of that kind of thing. The quality of this beans pods and seeds were not like Rabbit's Foot 3's. The quality of this bean was not good at all. So this season is the end of the line for this segregation.

Red Sport - Bush Dry

Another of my orignal named beans from the early 1980's. I don't remember what the seed mother was, but this bean is pretty productive and makes a good size nice quality oval red bean that is longer than a red kidney.

rabbits foot 4.4.jpgred sport.jpg
Rabbit's Foot 4................................................................Red Sport

Latest posts