2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not as easy as it sounds. The roots may indeed winter over where the ground does not freeze; but they are not as substantial as bulbs, and delicate. I noticed that my Aeron Purple Star roots a couple years ago were noticeably large, so tried to lift & winter over some of them. Although the area below the stem was swollen, many of the larger roots were very fragile & broke off easily during extraction.
View attachment 39691
Despite my best efforts, those roots did not survive my long winters. In retrospect, had I planted them in pots mid-Winter, they might have survived... I may try that one of these years. The roots also might have better chances of survival where the ground is only frozen for a short period; but chances are that most of those areas would also be too hot to grow runner beans successfully.

i've never seen pictures of those before! neato! :) never found any roots that looked like that on any of the pole beans here.

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
And a few more....

View attachment 39624
'Bamberger Blaue'

Recently, I got in touch with the association Bamberger Sortengarten from the German city of Bamberg. They grow and protect local vegetable varieties. They will send me samples of several beans from this region of Germany, including Bamberger Blaue. When they reach me, I'll show them here.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal the Piekny Jas beans look big! Have you cooked and eaten any of those?
Not yet @baymule! But I'm very curious to try it...if it grows in size as p. Vulgaris beans do when cooked, they must become as big as mini-potatoes. This is just the seed sample I received this year. It's the biggest bean I've ever seen o_O

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is so awesome @Artorius.
Recently, I got in touch with the association Bamberger Sortengarten from the German city of Bamberg. They grow and protect local vegetable varieties. They will send me samples of several beans from this region of Germany, including Bamberger Blaue. When they reach me, I'll show them here.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Two beans I've been really wanting to grow for the last 2 years, I finally got them this week!

20210317_154251_resized.jpg

20210317_160848_resized.jpg

'Dapple Gray' Bush Bean

20210317_161855_resized.jpg
20210317_163629_resized.jpg

'Rockwell' Bush Bean

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How is your test germination coming, @Bluejay77? Do you let them go a week before checking?
I finished tabulating the percentages yesterday. I had all of the 2012 seed in damp paper towels on March 6th. I did most of the rest of them on March 7th and finished wrapping the last of the 2016 seed on March 8th. I started checking them on this past Monday the 15th and finished yesterday. I'm going to record everything on a text file I keep. Then I will share the results here soon. So I let the seed sit in dampened paper towels for at least a week.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a storm blow through last night. No real damage here, a short heavy rain, no hail, some high wind. Nothing like what others saw.

You can see what the wind did to this bean plant. To me the top part looks OK, no real damage. but you can see what happened to a lower leaves. Dried up and shredded. Interestingly all the beans of this segregation, TTA 2A, were damaged this way but none of the other segregations were, even other bean plants in this bed 3' away.

I don't think these plants will be stunted to the point I should replant them. Any thoughts?

Wind Damage.jpg

Latest posts