2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They definitely like to hang out around gardens King snakes, Garters, and Rat snakes are all welcome here since they either eat rodents or poisonous snakes. Doesn’t mean they don’t scare the crap out me if I see them though. Luckily we haven’t seen any cottonmouths and maybe one or 2 copperheads since we’ve lived here. Both of those are kill on sight.

I really like snakes in my garden. The non-poisonous zaskroniec ( Grass snake - Natrix natrix) prefers wetlands and I have quite a large population here.

zaskroniec.jpg

The only poisonous species in Poland is the żmija zygzakowata (Common adder - Vipera berus). It is not dangerous to people and is beautifully colored. It is very rarely found in gardens, it prefers forest edges and clearings.

żmija zygzakowata.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Artorius
That 1st snake looks REALLY long. You're brave. I would run for dear life. I Googled Poland after Alabama for snake populations. I'm so surprised you have poisonous snakes there. I'm glad we have no killer snakes here! I think I'd convert to those raised up table gardens if we did.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some bean mail arrived today...
20210409_183637_resized.jpg

'Shirolustruca Kovina' Bush Bean
Russian origin.

20210409_182407_resized.jpg

'Goose Gullet' Dry Bean
An Acadian legend. In 1775, Acadians deported from the Bay of Fundy purposely grounded their ships along the shores of Clare County. Survivors hid deep in the woods, living with the Mi’kmaw, lost to the ruling British. Acadians found this bean in the gullet of a downed goose that fall, then saved & planted the see next spring. It has been grown by locals ever since.

20210409_182910_resized.jpg

'George Murphy's Wax Bean' Bush Bean
From Prince Edward Island, East coast of Canada

20210409_184058_resized.jpg

'Coco de Boheme' Pole Bean

20210409_191803_resized.jpg
20210409_191128_resized.jpg

'Coral' Pole Bean

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Artorius
That 1st snake looks REALLY long. You're brave. I would run for dear life. I Googled Poland after Alabama for snake populations. I'm so surprised you have poisonous snakes there. I'm glad we have no killer snakes here! I think I'd convert to those raised up table gardens if we did.
Are you sure? From the Wiki article on Massasauga rattlesnake:
Sistrurus catenatus catenatus (S. c. catenatus)(Rafinesque, 1818)Eastern massasaugaUnited States: central and western New York south of Lake Ontario, western Pennsylvania, northern and central Ohio, northern Indiana, lower Michigan, Illinois, southern and southwestern Wisconsin, extreme southeastern Minnesota, eastern Iowa, and northeastern Missouri
Canada: southern Ontario along the shores of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie
Considered to be its own separate species as of 2011.[26]

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Are you sure? From the Wiki article on Massasauga rattlesnake:
Sistrurus catenatus catenatus (S. c. catenatus)(Rafinesque, 1818)Eastern massasaugaUnited States: central and western New York south of Lake Ontario, western Pennsylvania, northern and central Ohio, northern Indiana, lower Michigan, Illinois, southern and southwestern Wisconsin, extreme southeastern Minnesota, eastern Iowa, and northeastern Missouri
Canada: southern Ontario along the shores of Georgian Bay, Lake Huron, and Lake Erie
Considered to be its own separate species as of 2011.[26]
This is all quite south of me, thankfully. I'm located in Northern Ontario. Although there has been mention that as their populations rebound it is possible they may someday begin to migrate to more Northern locations. I hope to goodness that never happens. :fl

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wonder how @aftermidnight is doing these days? I miss our bean escapades!

Ralph’s Italian Heirloom was quite the adventure. Her lone bean turned out to be a wax bean that wasn’t what we were searching for. My seeds were dead, others had seeds that were dead. Victory seed company had some, but wasn’t offering them. We all got put on a mailing list, but I never heard anything from them. I sure wish things had gone different, but it be that way sometime.
i'm still around, but am slowly going down hill, still once in awhile i come here to see what you guys are up to :).
Annette

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is all quite south of me, thankfully. I'm located in Northern Ontario. Although there has been mention that as their populations rebound it is possible they may someday begin to migrate to more Northern locations. I hope to goodness that never happens. :fl

they're rare as they like wooded wetland type areas. they are around here but i've seen only one in all the years i've been here and it was tiny. we're about a half mile from the larger wooded area that does have some wetlands in there.

Latest posts