2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
i normally get some strange lima beans in the Fordhooks, i can save them and send them to you if they happen again (i may even have some in storage). they are bush lima beans.
(My apologies @flowerbug , I moved this over so as to not derail the humor thread)

I've grown Fordhook 242, and really liked the size & flavor. But I lost too many to rot and rodents; so after a couple years of mediocre yields, I never grew it again. That's unfortunate, because they are the closest lima to the "King of the Garden" variant that I grew for many years in San Diego. Thanks anyway, @flowerbug , for the kind offer.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 20- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Mariazeller- Pole Dry

Normally this beautiful bean is very productive, but it had a tough enviornmnet to contend with this past summer. It didn't produce many seeds. However I found among those beans a small group of beautifully filled out and well formed seeds. Acquired this bean in 2013 from my Austrian bean trading friend. To be grown again in 2022.

Midnight Blue - Semi Runner Dry

85 days to dry beans. Blossom pink. Productive plants produce beautiful dark purple pods. An original bean named and introduced by Robert Lobitz through the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook in 2001.

mariazeller.jpgmidnight blue.jpg
Mariazeller..........................................................................Midnight Blue

Mona Lisa - Pole Dry

About 100 days to first dry pods. From my friend Harriet Mella in Liebenfels, Austria. Harriet has a freind that has a large bean collection and that friend bred this bean.

Money - Bush Dry

Another bean that I had grown in the early 1980's having first encountered it through the bean catalog of John Withee's Wanigan Associates. Productive and it may be a little soil sensitive. This years grow out gave me the best looking beans from this one in nearly 8 years.

mona lisa.jpgmoney.jpg
Mona Lisa......................................................................Money

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mona Lisa - Pole Dry

About 100 days to first dry pods. From my friend Harriet Mella in Liebenfels, Austria. Harriet has a freind that has a large bean collection and that friend bred this bean.

Good to know a bit more about this bean, I had wondered about its origin. I obtained seed from Guy Dirix in Belgium a couple of years ago and they cite you as their source, Russ. :)

The pattern.. I've never seen anything like it, with a zone of pure white around the hilum. Hopefully will get around to growing it next season. How does it yield?

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to know a bit more about this bean, I had wondered about its origin. I obtained seed from Guy Dirix in Belgium a couple of years ago and they cite you as their source, Russ. :)

The pattern.. I've never seen anything like it, with a zone of pure white around the hilum. Hopefully will get around to growing it next season. How does it yield?
The yeild in not always great. I have good years and not so good years with the bean. I think it might take a certain soil for it's best performance. What I would call soil sensitive. I will keep trying it out in different places. I will always grow it for it's beauty. When you do get a lot of well filled out round seed from the bean, it is quite something to look at.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Money - Bush Dry

Another bean that I had grown in the early 1980's having first encountered it through the bean catalog of John Withee's Wanigan Associates. Productive and it may be a little soil sensitive. This years grow out gave me the best looking beans from this one in nearly 8 years.

Money is definitely soil sensitive when i've grown it, but it is such a pretty bean. :)

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew Mona Lisa last year from seed supplied by Bohnen-Atlas. It's very beautiful but wasn't very productive for me.

Attachments

• 2020-02-28 07.55.11.jpg
    2020-02-28 07.55.11.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 93

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew the bush bean Squaw this year and found it healthy and productive. It's difficult to find out much about it thoughexcept that I think it has been offered by Sandhill Preservation Centre at some point.
Also looking back at past Easy Garden threads, I find that you received it in 2016, Russ, in 2017 grew it and had some off-types and in 2018 grew it again with good results.
My beans though have much more white than the ones you picture and not as much colour generally. I'm wondering what has happened to the strain. It would be good to know more about it generally. My seeds came from an Italian donor.

IMG_5275.jpg

Latest posts