2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
My beans though have much more white than the ones you picture and not as much colour generally. I'm wondering what has happened to the strain. It would be good to know more about it generally. My seeds came from an Italian donor.
Your soil did the same thing for this bean as it did for Ernie's Big Eye when you grew it for me. Do you remember? It has nothing to do with strain or your Italian donor. Do you have a photo of what the bean looked like when you first acquired it. I like the way your squaw looks. I wish the soil here would do that to beans that have an eye patch and very fine spotting across the rest of the beans white background. Your soil also reduces the size of the eye patch on beans like this.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this seed for any certainty. I have a bean customer in France who recently acquired a couple of varieties from a friend and he sent photos for me to try to identify.

Maybe Black Eyed Pea.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew the bush bean Squaw this year and found it healthy and productive. It's difficult to find out much about it thoughexcept that I think it has been offered by Sandhill Preservation Centre at some point.
Also looking back at past Easy Garden threads, I find that you received it in 2016, Russ, in 2017 grew it and had some off-types and in 2018 grew it again with good results.
My beans though have much more white than the ones you picture and not as much colour generally. I'm wondering what has happened to the strain. It would be good to know more about it generally. My seeds came from an Italian donor.

View attachment 45674

likely a soil quality difference as i get a lot of variation in color and markings depending upon which gardens i plant certain beans in. and even those that i may not get much difference in markings it can make a difference in color.

for this particular bean it reminds me a lot of Victoria Brown Eyes, but to know if they were really similar or not i'd have to grow them side by side. VBE was also a very productive bush bean.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your soil did the same thing for this bean as it did for Ernie's Big Eye when you grew it for me. Do you remember? It has nothing to do with strain or your Italian donor. Do you have a photo of what the bean looked like when you first acquired it. I like the way your squaw looks. I wish the soil here would do that to beans that have an eye patch and very fine spotting across the rest of the beans white background. Your soil also reduces the size of the eye patch on beans like this.
YEs, I do remember and did wonder whether it was growing conditions. The seed I received was indeed a bit more coloured, somewhere between yours and mine perhaps.

For comparison - mine, donors, yours..... I rather like yours!

IMG_5275.jpg
2021-01-09 12.30.38 (1).jpg
Squaw.jpg

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can anyone identify this seed for any certainty. I have a bean customer in France who recently acquired a couple of varieties from a friend and he sent photos for me to try to identify.

View attachment 45676

Russ,
Not with total certainty, but it sure looks like some type of cowpea.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 45676
I agree with the previous opinions, that looks like a cowpea. It looks nearly identical to the cowpea "Pink Eye Purple Hull", which I grow (and which is way overdue for replenishment). They even have the same 'wings' on the eye patch.
20211125_132947.jpg

Cow pea "Pink Eye Purple Hull"

Latest posts