2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77's Big Bean Show
Day 31- The Beans I Grew This Summer

Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross - Bush Dry Snap ?

In 2020 I found a Jacob's cattle type patterned and colored bean in one of my Victoria Brown eyes plants. Victoria Brown eyes is a Robert Lobitz snap bean which is tender and stringless. I just had to grow out this outcross this summer being very curious about it. I chewed on a few of the pods raw and green this past summer and those pods didn't seem coarse or stringy. Before I harvest seed from this grow out I had no idea of the aray of seed coats I was going to wind up with. Some seed that seemed to perfectly repeat the Victoria Brown Eyes seed coat and color, and other color variations of the VBE seed coat and Jacob's Cattle pattern in a different color. 9 other seed coats in all

z-victoria brown eyes OT.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross

z-victoria brown eyes seg #1.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 1

victoria brown eyes OT seg #2.jpg
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 2

victoria brown eyes OT seg #3.jpg
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 3

z-victoria brown eyes seg #5.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 4

z-victoria brown eyes seg #4.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 5

z-victoria brown eyes seg #6.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 6

z-victoria brown eyes seg #7.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 7

z-victoria brown eyes seg #8.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 8

z-victoria brown eyes seg #9.JPG
Victoria Brown Eyes Outcross Off Type 9

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Saddled soybeans are fairly common (I will be posting photos of a few more soon) but An,dunscaja is one of the more attractive soybeans (as is DV 2371). The reason I acquired them though, is their high nutritional output. There is generally an inverse relationship in soybeans between high protein (and/or earliness) and high productivity. What makes both An,dunscaja and DV 2371 special - aside from their appearance - is that they both have high protein and high productivity. Probably not well suited for edamame (I didn't try either this year) but very nutrient dense for processing. In contrast, most commercially-sold edamame soybeans are only about 40% protein dry weight.

Agate is a good short-season soybean; I acquired it once, but the seed died before I could plant it. I passed on re-acquiring it because it is widely sold commercially, and in no danger. Grand Forks is the only soybean currently on my want list, I hope to acquire it from Great Lakes Staple Seeds, if they have it in stock. Given that I've been trying to find it since 2005, it appears to be endangered. Great Lakes has other interesting soybeans as well... including one that looks very similar to DV 2371.

I have seed for Gaia (and Sumo, Lanco, and Peking Black) sent to me by a source since lost. I once grew Lanco, but it did not mature, so won't try it again. I have yet to grow Gaia, but hope to fit it into my schedule for 2022, given that I don't know how old the seed is & its a fairly small sample. It looks similar to Sakamotowase, which I grew this year.

In my searches, I can find no info on either Sumo or Peking Black.
I can send you some GF @Zeedman.🍴📬

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
2021 soybeans, continued:

View attachment 46022 View attachment 46023 View attachment 46024
GL 2216-84, from the USDA/ARS 2006, collected in North Korea. Short, very stout plants (under 12") that never lodge. Dull yellowish-green seeds (the color is not accurately shown in the photo), 90 days dry. Exceptionally high dry protein content, over 57%... nutritious, but just OK as edamame. The USDA lists it as low yielding in the field, but GL 2216-84 demonstrated that it has a higher yield potential in garden culture. Had poor germination (under about 10%) but still yielded 17 ounces of seed from a double 10' row.

View attachment 46025 View attachment 46026
Grande, from the estate of Robert Lobitz 2006, developed by the University of Minnesots. Medium-early, tall 36-40" plants that can benefit from support. The 2015 seed had outstanding germination, and needed some thinning. This is normally a high-yielding variety, with large seeds that can be used as edamame... but a chipmunk ravaged them, and harvested nearly everything before the pods dried. :( Only the pods which stuck out above the foliage remained, 4 ounces of seed. One of my biggest disappointments, given that the initial pod set was heavy & I expected about 2 pounds of seed.

View attachment 46028 View attachment 46029
Hokkaido Black, from Peace Seeds 2013. Mid-season, 16-20" plants. Large, semi-glossy, all-black seeds that according to the source, produce a lavender tofu (I've yet to try that). 2013 seed germination tested at about 50%, but fared far worse in the garden. Less than 10% germinated, and many of those late (perhaps due to heavy rains). This is not a heavy yielder even widely spaced, and seldom has more than 2 seeds per pod... but the surviving plants produced 8 ounces of seed. Not enough this year to try the tofu. :(
That is so sad about your Grande, small critters can be quite a pain. Much like my sesame seeds, they ravaged them in the greenhouse (under cover), but I purposefully kept one plant in a pot out in the open outside on an empty raised garden bed and it wasn't touched. Those little creatures are so dependant on having coverage overhead.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

In 2020 I found a Jacob's cattle type patterned and colored bean in one of my Victoria Brown eyes plants. Victoria Brown eyes is a Robert Lobitz snap bean which is tender and stringless. I just had to grow out this outcross this summer being very curious about it. I chewed on a few of the pods raw and green this past summer and those pods didn't seem coarse or stringy. Before I harvest seed from this grow out I had no idea of the aray of seed coats I was going to wind up with. Some seed that seemed to perfectly repeat the Victoria Brown Eyes seed coat and color, and other color variations of the VBE seed coat and Jacob's Cattle pattern in a different color. 9 other seed coats in all

View attachment 46040

View attachment 46031

View attachment 46032

View attachment 46034

View attachment 46039

View attachment 46038

View attachment 46042

View attachment 46043

View attachment 46044

View attachment 46045

You got a pink Victoria Brown Eyes!?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

View attachment 46040

View attachment 46031

View attachment 46032

View attachment 46034

View attachment 46039

View attachment 46038

View attachment 46042

View attachment 46043

View attachment 46044

View attachment 46045

Wow. Some beans are more prone to crossing, it looks like VBE might be one of those.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow. Some beans are more prone to crossing, it looks like VBE might be one of those.

i've only grown it once so far, but it did very well here and i'll grow it again sometime. i'm not sure if you noticed that the OP by @Bluejay77 there was a a grow out from an out-cross and not the VBE itself?

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I started sorting and photographing the shelled seeds, but I still don't have much time for it. From Christmas to New Year, I will probably have a vacation and be able to take the beans seriously.

Tarahumara Dark Purple

Tarahumara Dark Purple.jpg

Arikara Yellow

Arikara Yellow.jpg

In the summer I wrote about the possible cross between Arikara Yellow and Piękny Jaś. Unfortunately, I don't have a single seed. All the pods fell when they were still small. I don't know why.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
You got a pink Victoria Brown Eyes!?

Yes isn't the pink VBE something. Definitely got to plant that one next year. Plus that typical Brown Trout looking beans showed up again. There are a couple of those segregations I want to plant again next year. The ones I like in that whole series is nuber 4, 7, and 8

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure that VBE is any more prone to outcrossing that a lot of beans. I've grown VBE a number of times since 2013 and this is the first time I've found an outcross in the row and it was only one single plant. The bean that gave all those segregations was not VBE but the one single outcross that was being grown this past summer.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes isn't the pink VBE something. Definitely got to plant that one next year. Plus that typical Brown Trout looking beans showed up again. There are a couple of those segregations I want to plant again next year. The ones I like in that whole series is nuber 4, 7, and 8

2 and 5 are somewhat close to VBE. it is just wild how many variations an outcross can spin off.

Latest posts