2021 Little Easy Bean Network - Bean Lovers Come Discover Something New !

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is what the Kroatische Stange pods look like.

Kroatische Stange 3.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a pattern & colour I don't believe I've seen on any other bean, let alone a wax bean.
I also like wax pods with unusual seed colours; that's why I was so enamoured with Artorius's 'Atlas'.
Though Oude Sloveense Boterboon has to take the prize for most vivid seeds, surely?! At least when fresh 🤯 I'd be interested to know your favourites.

if you like wax beans, but also in the bush growth habit i've still never found any wax bean superior in flavor to Top Notch, but in the past several years i've not had very good seed production from them so i've been trying to get other wax beans to grow here that aren't as finicky about soil conditions.

from Russ i tried out Pisarecka Zlutoluske which is very early to flower (of all the seeds i planted later on these were the first to flower) and productive but of all the things this season i completely forgot to try out some pods to see how edible they are. the seeds are unique and you won't confuse them with any other beans in my collection. this bean was productive in the worst quality soil garden i have so we'll see this coming year how it does in some of the various other gardens.

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal the pattern on Pisarecka Zlutoluske is rare for a wax and looks similar to Hodson Silver Wax, if this picture is representative?
Reading the few blog post published about this bean it does appear to be rather good! Even earlier than Beurre de Rocquencourt.
Shall keep a note of it and Top Notch for the future :)
Does anyone have a picture of Hodson Silver Wax while it's growing?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal the pattern on Pisarecka Zlutoluske is rare for a wax and looks similar to Hodson Silver Wax, if this picture is representative?
Reading the few blog post published about this bean it does appear to be rather good! Even earlier than Beurre de Rocquencourt.
Shall keep a note of it and Top Notch for the future :)
Does anyone have a picture of Hodson Silver Wax while it's growing?
Yes, this is what mine look like, burgundy wine splashed with beige flecks. I grew it in 2020 I think, and it was indeed very early. It was also very productive for the tiny patch I planted.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
from Russ i tried out Pisarecka Zlutoluske which is very early to flower (of all the seeds i planted later on these were the first to flower) and productive but of all the things this season i completely forgot to try out some pods to see how edible they are. the seeds are unique and you won't confuse them with any other beans in my collection. this bean was productive in the worst quality soil garden i have so we'll see this coming year how it does in some of the various other gardens.
An interesting bean that almost meets my collection criteria... too bad its not pole. :(

saritabee

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I feel a bit sheepish to admit this, but I've never actually eaten any bean as a 'shelly' bean, even that terminology is new to me and I was surprised when I saw how many people actually use that expression. I guess it's basically a not yet mature bean that can be used the same as a dried bean, but it doesn't take as long to cook. I don't know why there is so little (or like, zero) use of 'shelly' beans here since there must be many beans that don't make it to fully dried maturity, 'specially on vines that've been picked all season long.

I'd really love to try @HmooseK's thread and needle description on some midway grown beans for leather britches, but I have no idea how I could get them to dry without going bad on me.

Spending our snow day getting caught up on bean news (this "snow week" seems like it's going to be an annual tradition!), but did want to chime in on saving shellies.

The first year I saved seeds, I tried to save literally every seed, and had a bunch that ended up getting moldy when they didn't dry fast enough. So in ensuing years, I started keeping a separate dish for any beans that were still "damp" when I shelled out. I freeze them in quart freezer bags (and all the varieties just get mixed together). They cook up super fast (I didn't get enough to save last year, but if I remember right it took like and hour or an hour and a half to cook up a bag), and taste just like dry beans except a little creamier... almost like refried beans. Super tasty, super easy, and then you don't have to feel bad about wasting a single bean. :)

Latest posts