2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The other day I came across a beautiful bean from Korea in the collection of Guy Dirix, named ‘Corée de Sang’.

I noticed that it looked strikingly similar to the Japanese network bean ‘Kiagara Mame’, and went back to the listing for a closer look.

When I opened the image I noticed the file was named ‘Kaigara Mame’, with the a before the i, and I believe this may in fact be the correct spelling.

‘Kaigara’ translates to seashell, and the kanji for both ‘Kaigara Mame’ 貝殻豆 and ‘Kaimame’ 貝豆 (roughly ‘shellfish bean’) yield search results for the same bean.

The pattern on the beans is distinctly malacological so they are aptly named!
IMG_20210313_101223-375x500.jpg

There are even selections of the same pattern in other colours.
‘Midori Kaimame’ 緑貝豆 (green shell bean) appears to be quite popular, commercially available online within Japan.
View attachment 51912

Apparently, they are native to Hokkaido and are becoming increasingly rare as fewer farmers produce them.
Wow! Those are so beautiful, and they really do look like shellfish.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
...and so it begins.

I only grew a few Vermont Yellow Eye this year to refresh the seed. Of the 3-4 plants that have had a handful of dry pods (so far), nary a Yellow Eye in sight. What they have produced is a very pretty red/purple swirl on a caramel brown base... and I am smitten. 💞 🥰 It isn't just the color, it is the shape and plumpness too. I can hardly wait for next season!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
...and so it begins.

I only grew a few Vermont Yellow Eye this year to refresh the seed. Of the 3-4 plants that have had a handful of dry pods (so far), nary a Yellow Eye in sight. What they have produced is a very pretty red/purple swirl on a caramel brown base... and I am smitten. 💞 🥰 It isn't just the color, it is the shape and plumpness too. I can hardly wait for next season!

are they a full round eye or more like the soldier shape? i see a lot of pictures showing soldier shapes and to me those aren't quite yellow eye beans.

no matter what you may have started with and planted it may be that you've gotten an outcross and maybe it won't be stable. you will find out next year. :)

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
no matter what you may have started with and planted it may be that you've gotten an outcross and maybe it won't be stable. you will find out next year.
I remember seeing an article once somewhere about a snap bean Asgro Seed Company came up with. They must have wanted to introduce it pretty bad because they grew out the bean for 12 years before it finally stablized.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
are they a full round eye or more like the soldier shape? i see a lot of pictures showing soldier shapes and to me those aren't quite yellow eye beans.

no matter what you may have started with and planted it may be that you've gotten an outcross and maybe it won't be stable. you will find out next year. :)
No, there is no eye at all on this new bean. The mother, Vermont Yellow Eye, has a broad splotch very much like Molasses Face.

The seed coat on these makes me think of marbling. I took print shop in high school and we made a 'marbled' interior liner for a book cover; that is what it reminds me of, with the color being in swirls. The beans are especially pretty in the organza bags! Even DH remarked on how special they look. 🥰

I got a very up-close look at the entire planting today and peeked inside of the most mature pods. I was wrong, there are only 2 plants that have the marbling. Those beans are maturing faster than the VT Yellow Eye... and then there is one plant with pods too green to check. 8 plants in total.

I spent some time sleuthing @Bluejay77's bean map and website and see a possible contender for the 'father'. Of course it could be anyone, but Gross Brothers Vermont Cranberry was in the adjacent row and was one variety over. It is the only one (in those 3 rows) with seed coat that looks remotely similar to the new one, plus it has the purple color AND is known for being a short season bean. Naturally I had to place an order. 😏

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
this evening odds and ends pods came across these.

DSC_20220903_184712-0400_1740_Pinkingray_thm.jpg

they may be a relative of Huey as i did plant this season some strange striped beans that i'd set aside the past few years to see what they would be like when grown out again.

i have since found enough of these in a specific enough location to call them a Peregion out-cross - they're from the row of Peregion seeds that i planted to refresh my seeds. they can't be from the odd mix i planted because that was several rows over and i didn't harvest any dried pods from that row the past few picking sessions.

when fully dried down they look very much like a watermelon seed. very likely the other parent would be Red Ryder or one of the other out crosses i've had from RR. they are pretty tiny seeds overall, but i like the color and pattern of them as they are similar to a Peregion seed that has the black background and then some speckles or other markings, but there is no pink or red in those.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the Red Turtle Beans look like they're getting a bit big for their britches.
I remember you saying that you didn't get a proper grow out last summer with Red Turtle. Something to do with possibly isolation. Did you get a proper grow out this year and were you satisfied with the results? Your seed looks great.

Keep offering the bean in the SSE yearbook.

Latest posts