2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, @Zeedman I almost forgot, you may have actually answered a mystery for me vis a vis the identity of one of the mystery long beans I was finding in Chinatown. Those "unique" patterned Summer Treasure yardlong seeds have the EXACT same seedcoat pattern as the long beans I was getting off that side stand (mine seemed a little paler, but maybe they whiten up a bit as they mature). So one down, one to go (the huge, rugose one with the black eyed seeds.)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Also, I have been harvesting the seed pods LONG before I see Any seeds. Should I let them go longer (and longer, since I usually harvest at 8-10 inches long)? THIS is the first time I have seen Anything that looks like a seed pod. I am, afterall a Duck with little knowledge of any kind of beans. This is my first year growing ANY where I am getting a harvest, and green beans always look like they are growing the seeds.
And, YES, we have been having a drought since July here. The rains go north...the rains go south...once in awhile WE get a good rain. Mostly we have been snubbed.
Are you harvesting the pods with the intention to save the seeds or eat the pods while most tender ducks? If it's for seed, I'd suggest leaving them on the plant until the pods are dried, or nearly dried. Even if they aren't fully mature, you can finish drying the bean pods inside.

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, @Zeedman I almost forgot, you may have actually answered a mystery for me vis a vis the identity of one of the mystery long beans I was finding in Chinatown. Those "unique" patterned Summer Treasure yardlong seeds have the EXACT same seedcoat pattern as the long beans I was getting off that side stand (mine seemed a little paler, but maybe they whiten up a bit as they mature). So one down, one to go (the huge, rugose one with the black eyed seeds.)
It's possible they are the same bean, given that Summer Treasure was the highest yielder by far in my trial - to this point. The plants are basically done now though, turning yellow en masse & senescing - like they just focused all of their energy into one concentrated set & quit. This is the first yardlong I've grown which exhibited such behavior... I would expect that from plants let go for seed, but no pods were allowed to mature (except the one sample for DTM observance). All of the other yardlongs (Long King, Vine Full #9, and Galante) are still green, flowering, and setting pods (although fewer).

Summer Treasure is probably a good choice for short-season areas, but not where an extended harvest period is desirable.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's possible they are the same bean, given that Summer Treasure was the highest yielder by far in my trial - to this point. The plants are basically done now though, turning yellow en masse & senescing - like they just focused all of their energy into one concentrated set & quit. This is the first yardlong I've grown which exhibited such behavior... I would expect that from plants let go for seed, but no pods were allowed to mature (except the one sample for DTM observance). All of the other yardlongs (Long King, Vine Full #9, and Galante) are still green, flowering, and setting pods (although fewer).

Summer Treasure is probably a good choice for short-season areas, but not where an extended harvest period is desirable.
Assuming they are, Summer Treasure might also have a bit of trouble with dealing with rough handling, since I remember the beans I would get would always be COVERED with reddish brown lesions from where bruises had begun to break down (that was why they were so damn cheap, I was paying maybe $1-2 a big bunch.)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assuming they are, Summer Treasure might also have a bit of trouble with dealing with rough handling, since I remember the beans I would get would always be COVERED with reddish brown lesions from where bruises had begun to break down (that was why they were so damn cheap, I was paying maybe $1-2 a big bunch.)
No bruising noticed. When I see such bruising here, wind is usually the cause. Granted, Summer Treasure was on the downwind end of the row, with both Long King & Vine Full #9 upwind (this was a trial, so no separation) but the pods still caught quit a bit of wind, and showed no unusual susceptibility to bruising.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow Ok ! I have totaly forgotten what the Fiesta bean was all about. What seed company in BC was that bean being sold.
Fiesta is the bush version cassette of the 'Candy' bean, or at least a Candy look alike that is a bush. Awhile back you mentioned if I were to send you any cassettes this fall, perhaps I could send some of those since Salt Spring Seeds is in my neck of the woods (I don't think they ship cassettes to the US actually). Take a peek over at SSS, strangely their Fiesta pic is on Google images but not their site. 🤔

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fiesta is the bush version cassette of the 'Candy' bean, or at least a Candy look alike that is a bush. Awhile back you mentioned if I were to send you any cassettes this fall, perhaps I could send some of those since Salt Spring Seeds is in my neck of the woods (I don't think they ship cassettes to the US actually). Take a peek over at SSS, strangely their Fiesta pic is on Google images but not their site.
Ok now I remember what it looked like. I don't see the photo of the bean on SSS's website anymore. Maybe they will put it up later or next year.

Latest posts