2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Millers I can deal with. It's those "crazy cockroaches" each summer that drive me batty, since I have no idea WHERE THEY ARE COMING FROM (if they actually LIVED in the house, either we or the Terminix guy would have noticed more of them by now, but neither of us have). They're about a third of the size of a regular Oriental Cockroach, fly EXTREMELY readily (I am aware normal cockroaches can fly, but these fly everywhere, they NEVER scuttle or run) and are ATTRACTED to light (it's been a while since I saw one now, but I think they also don't have the two little "whisker" things on the end of the abdomen regular cockroaches have.) Oh and I once saw one hiding out in the door well of the car, so they are definitely coming from outside the house.
Possibly from a sewer or storm drain nearby? When I lived in San Diego, the place where I gardened had apparently been the site of a building at some point in the past (I dug up part of a buried sidewalk). There was a manhole cover between my garden & the street; large cockroaches would emerge from the holes in the cover at sunset. As far as I could tell, they caused no damage in the garden, so I left them alone. Our young boys though were fascinated by them.

"Crazy cockroaches" would be the flying cockroaches I observed in Africa; they looked like bats flying under the street lights. While I was wondering what they were, one landed on me, and quickly crawled down my leg to the ground. I can't describe what a creepy feeling that was!:ep Needless to say, I avoided standing under street lights for the rest of my time there.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
NOT as creepy as when I was fighting a neighbor's bred cockroaches at our old house. I put on my layers of winter horse feeding clothes and was driving the 15 minutes out to feed them and felt something crawling up my leg. I had kept my feeding clothes hanging at the top of the basement stairs, you see.
I pulled off to the shoulder and stripped off the pants on top of my long underwear to let the creepy crawler die in the snow. I have only seen wood roaches at the farm property that I have now lived for 22 years, as of Halloween, 2022. Never see them in the kitchen OR basement, just outside under a piece of wood. Roaches survive well in cities, and can survive being microwaved.
When I think about it...:th
:th:th

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Possibly from a sewer or storm drain nearby? When I lived in San Diego, the place where I gardened had apparently been the site of a building at some point in the past (I dug up part of a buried sidewalk). There was a manhole cover between my garden & the street; large cockroaches would emerge from the holes in the cover at sunset. As far as I could tell, they caused no damage in the garden, so I left them alone. Our young boys though were fascinated by them.

"Crazy cockroaches" would be the flying cockroaches I observed in Africa; they looked like bats flying under the street lights. While I was wondering what they were, one landed on me, and quickly crawled down my leg to the ground. I can't describe what a creepy feeling that was!:ep Needless to say, I avoided standing under street lights for the rest of my time there.
We're suburban, the nearest manhole cover is in the middle of the street a good 100 feet away ditto the storm drains.

Yeah sounds like me as a kid when I was in Vermont and fist saw the moths the size of two adult hands put together that would be all over the outside of the cabin come morning. Or when I saw my first Golden Orb Weaver (I know they're harmless now, but when you are a kid, a two inch long bright yellow and black spider is a pretty scary thing, like the huge wolf spider that once lived under where our patio is that I caught carrying an egg sac the size of a golf ball.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I decided i'm going to pull up my network Georgian Black & White pole this evening before temps drop just below freezing tonight. The only 3 that will be left, covered heavily, and prayed for are Lazy Wife, Zugdidi and Sylvano's. They just are not far enough along. It was sunny this afternoon and warmer than predicted, which is a good foreshadowing, and the ground is saturated from all the rain which helps protect from the frost.

I was quite happy to see that GB&W actually had a dry pod today, so there is new seed for next year if I need it. Yay! I really like this bean too, ooooh, those black and white beanz are gorg! But I think I say that about most of 'em...:ya:ya
20220928_165431.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmm this is interesting. For once I wish I had bean weevils this year so I could experiment!

i knew this line in my head as i'd not only read it in the book, but also saw it many times in the movie (the books are the sailing/battle books by Patrick O Brien _Master and Commander_ (i think) and then the movie with Russell Crowe...)), but that is just a long lead into the bit i meant to type first which was:

then you'd too oft find yourself wishing for the lesser of two weevils...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Time to get geeky! 🤓

Not every single pod has been harvested for some of these, but close enough to make these fair estimates. (Ugandan Bantu just won't stop! Lol)

Network bean Green Savage, 3 plants, pole variety.
20220928_212509.jpg

Network bean Greek Cypriot, 3 plants, pole variety. As you can see @Bluejay77 there are two browns in here. I don't know, but it seems like they are twins, pods were exactly the same, maturity the same. You can let me know if you want both or just one of the colours.
20220928_213235.jpg

Network bean Fukuruyu Chanaga, about 6 plants, semi-runners.
20220928_212204.jpg

Ugandan Bantu, a five foot section, semi-runners. Probably 10 plants.
20220928_213950.jpg

Dove's Breast, 3 plants, pole variety.
20220928_214241.jpg

Network bean Armenian Black Giant, 3 plants, pole variety. Great bean!
20220928_211648.jpg

Tremonti di Trebua, outcross, 1 plant, pole type. 2 plants would have made a pound of seed! Wow! Probably hybrid effect going on here.
20220928_211502.jpg

Wild Gonny, 5 foot section, about 7 or 8 plants, semi-runners.
This guy can really bring home the bacon! :ep
20220928_214106.jpg

Tamila, 5 foot section, probably 10 plants, short poles/semi-runners.
20220928_211312.jpg

Crimson Flowered Favas. Can't recall exactly how many plants I had but it was somewhere between 15 - 20. They grew in part shade. Can't really compare to P. Vulgaris! But they were beauties.
20220928_214718.jpg

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
i knew this line in my head as i'd not only read it in the book, but also saw it many times in the movie (the books are the sailing/battle books by Patrick O Brien _Master and Commander_ (i think) and then the movie with Russell Crowe...)), but that is just a long lead into the bit i meant to type first which was:

Probably better to avoid them altogether; to see no weevil, hear no weevil and speak no weevil.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it! 🤣 I asked DH if he recalled that line from the books and now he's reading The Fortune of War.

eta: I am told that it is in Chapter 2, lol! 😎 😂

Last edited: