2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you've gone and done it! 🤣 I asked DH if he recalled that line from the books and now he's reading The Fortune of War.

eta: I am told that it is in Chapter 2, lol! 😎 😂

yes, it is, the movie is M&C. Mom wanted them to keep making those movies she loves sailing ships and RC...

i've not re-read the books for 10-15yrs now. it might be required this winter as i'm really out of new reads and nothing is catching my eye at the library these days. :( (oh no! there i've done it, i've used the w*r word...)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
i knew this line in my head as i'd not only read it in the book, but also saw it many times in the movie (the books are the sailing/battle books by Patrick O Brien _Master and Commander_ (i think) and then the movie with Russell Crowe...)), but that is just a long lead into the bit i meant to type first which was:

then you'd too oft find yourself wishing for the lesser of two weevils...
"Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World," one of my Favorite movies with a full 5 minutes of Total eye candy which starts the film. It is based on two books by Patrick O'Brian.
Captain Jack (Aubrey) asks Dr. Maurin to consider two weevils crawling around from the loaf of bread they are eating, and asks which is stronger.
He responds that they are both equal specimens of cuculio, yet he makes a choice between the two.
Jack says, "Do you not know that in the service we must always choose the lesser of two weevils?"
The screenplay made a change about the nationality of the Acheron, claiming it to be a French ship, when O'Brian penned it as an American Ship. Probably they thought it would play better bc it was set during the British/French conflict and going to a primarily American audience.
"... the fictional opponent was changed from USS Norfolk to the French privateer frigate Acheron."

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Woke up to 1/2 inch of ice in our few yard puddles this morning. 🥶

The sheets (triple layered) I hung over the beans yesterday evening were a bit wet, which I had hoped would help protect them. At first I thought it was snow I was seeing at the edge of the yard. The sheets were frozen stiff with cold. But I pulled them off to see the damage and amazingly they are mostly fine. A few exposed pods looked a bit greasy, and a few leaves looked slightly zapped, but there was none of the blackened, limping damage frost usually does. So, onward we go hoping for yellowing pods....:fl

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to scattered frost and it was pretty bright white. All rooftops were white as can be. All beans still in my bean sites still rooted had no protection. Amazingly none were killed or damaged by the frost. Waiting on some Limas to mature seed more before I pull their plug. Some Zinnia blossoms got zinged in the center and many other totally escaped.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Same situation here, light frost last night. I was getting worried, watching the temperature drop more rapidly than forecast, since I had left all developing beans hanging. At midnight (which reminds me of @aftermidnight :frow) I checked the thermometer on the garden fence - it read 35 F. degrees. :eek: Fearing an unexpected loss of so many beans, I ran a power cord, a space heater & fan into the garden. I placed it in the "bean tunnel" between the two trellises I most wanted to save... Madagascar limas on one side, Gigandes runner beans & Bird Egg #3 on the other. The canopy between the two rows had been bridged by enough runners that it was partially enclosed; so with the fan blowing, warm air traveled down the row. Everything looks OK today, no apparent damage to the beans.

Depending upon how well the beans do before the next frost - and how cold it gets - I might try the heater & fan again, maybe with a tarp thrown over the top. The trellis rows were squeezed a little closer together this year, to fit a few more things into the garden... the ability to at least partially trap heat in the canopy is an unexpected, but welcome, side effect.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess we three got lucky!:woot
Your frost prevention system sound about as ideal as can be had for frost busting Zeedman. The only bean whose foliage was pooched in my garden was my tall arc trellis for runner beans; those leaves all looked a bit melted and I think being so high up, though covered, did them in. Luckily the bean pods seem less phased than the foliage on those.

Doing some more shelling tonight, checking out for the first time some fresh new to me bean seed varieties.

Kartoffelbohne pods. I would have thought this a possible alternately named Forelle Fleiderfaben, but the pods are too different. Beans are a bit more purple too.
20220929_214803.jpg

Watchelbohne pods& seeds
20220929_215957.jpg
20220929_220413.jpg

I was super worried that these network beans might not have quite mature enough pods when I pulled it to protect from rain(mould was starting), but they DID! Rosa's bean, I thank you. :bow
20220929_215451.jpg
20220929_220513.jpg

Pods of wonderbean Wild Gonny
20220929_215701.jpg

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Doing some more shelling tonight, checking out for the first time some fresh new to me bean seed varieties.
The more time I spend growing beans, the more I look at the pod type before the bean coat or size. Those Wild Gonny's look nice and easy to shell. Just looking at Kartoffelbohne makes my fingers hurt.

Beautiful pics as always!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Woke up to 1/2 inch of ice in our few yard puddles this morning. 🥶

The sheets (triple layered) I hung over the beans yesterday evening were a bit wet, which I had hoped would help protect them. At first I thought it was snow I was seeing at the edge of the yard. The sheets were frozen stiff with cold. But I pulled them off to see the damage and amazingly they are mostly fine. A few exposed pods looked a bit greasy, and a few leaves looked slightly zapped, but there was none of the blackened, limping damage frost usually does. So, onward we go hoping for yellowing pods....:fl
I may have to do this Wednesday night. After a promise of a warm October, there is 32 glaring at me for a low Thursday morning.
SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!! :hit

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The more time I spend growing beans, the more I look at the pod type before the bean coat or size. Those Wild Gonny's look nice and easy to shell. Just looking at Kartoffelbohne makes my fingers hurt.

Beautiful pics as always!
Wise approach jb, especially when you grow dried beans in bulk as you do. I still remember how easy all my black seeds were to shell last year - Hopi, Mitla, Nicaraguan - like shelling from tissue paper.

In this case looks are deceiving, the Wild Gonny's have shells as hard as walnuts. And even though the Kartoffelbohnes have those necklace pods, they aren't stiff. But I have run into the stiff necklace pods, and they are not fun for sure in quantity. My Lippoldsberger pods were more like that.

Latest posts