2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
note that while it may be ok to soak beans in a fungicide i would not soak them in a bleach solution, that's much different. :) (just in case anyone sees this in passing and thinks it is a good idea since it's been mentioned earlier in this thread).
Ive heard of bleach as a way to get a "quick" germination test out of soybeans, but it kills the beans. I would not use that on any bean i would want to plant in the garden. If i had a large amount of beans and wanted a quick germ test that probably would work? But i have never tried it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive heard of bleach as a way to get a "quick" germination test out of soybeans, but it kills the beans. I would not use that on any bean i would want to plant in the garden. If i had a large amount of beans and wanted a quick germ test that probably would work? But i have never tried it.

i've not heard of that before and probably never would. as we have so many fungi around here i'd just plant them and see what happens.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll beg for forgiveness first. Sorry if this has been asked and answered already, but here I go!

Is there a key to the beans to the Header Photo By Joseph Simcox at the "A Bean Collectors Window"? Thank you.

Last edited:

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
??? :ep

So how does that work... if the soybeans try to jump out of the bleach to get away, they're OK? :lol: I'd love to hear more about this technique, and who promotes it.
For soybean producers on the seed company level, some seed companies can do a quick germ test with bleach. A co worker told me about it. Like 15 -30 mins of beans soaking in bleach or bleach water can apparently somehow show germination for a test. Some sort of a seed company trick i dont know much about.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So... aside from potentially contaminating my soil, are there any other problems with planting these seeds (in pots) and keeping them far away from my garden?

Assuming the plant growth is healthy, the resulting crop would be considered clean?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So... aside from potentially contaminating my soil, are there any other problems with planting these seeds (in pots) and keeping them far away from my garden?

Assuming the plant growth is healthy, the resulting crop would be considered clean?

usually should be ok. rarely a problem. why? there are millions of fungi and only specific ones are a problem and they are usually associated with certain host species. it's pretty unusual that you get a fungi that will attack living tissues and cause problems. fungi are normally taking the role of breaking down dead materials. yes, you can get some infections and some issues, but it's just not that common overall. in terms of life itself, a fungi that would indescriminately attack living beings would soon run out of living things to feed upon and then to propagate itself.

if you get clean pods and no mold inside they should be fairly uncontaminated as long as the pod is green up until it dries down and starts coming open or it gets repeatedly wetted down.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner I'm zealous of your WB#39 and WB#27 fun you write about here in the 2021 thread.

So much fun with selecting out new beans and different strains.
You can join the fun but it can get frustrating. I'm sure Russ could suggest certain ones that he is fairly sure are still segregating, some that he may have no interest in growing out himself. I've seen him mention some of those in his shows.

When I grew out those four Will Bonsall beans in 2016 I sent Russ seeds from those segregations, they are on page 8 and 9 of his Network bean site. People have grown some of them and I'm working on some of them. The ones of mine I'm not working on and I don't now if anyone else has grown them or not are Cedar Creek, Davis Creek, and Glade Springs. Based on what I've seen with the others there is an excellent chance any of these will give you segregations to play with.

Latest posts