2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can join the fun but it can get frustrating. I'm sure Russ could suggest certain ones that he is fairly sure are still segregating, some that he may have no interest in growing out himself. I've seen him mention some of those in his shows.

When I grew out those four Will Bonsall beans in 2016 I sent Russ seeds from those segregations, they are on page 8 and 9 of his Network bean site. People have grown some of them and I'm working on some of them. The ones of mine I'm not working on and I don't now if anyone else has grown them or not are Cedar Creek, Davis Creek, and Glade Springs. Based on what I've seen with the others there is an excellent chance any of these will give you segregations to play with.
Thank you. I was only going to grow out 4 of the Network beans, but it looks like I'll be doubling that number. Sigh.

Edited to add to avoid another post: @897tgigvib you mentioned ringwoods, is that a type of bean? Searching I can only find Bean in the Wood - in Ringwood an Australian cafe.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you. I was only going to grow out 4 of the Network beans, but it looks like I'll be doubling that number. Sigh.

Edited to add to avoid another post: @897tgigvib you mentioned ringwoods, is that a type of bean? Searching I can only find Bean in the Wood - in Ringwood an Australian cafe.

Marshall's not been around since last spring so i'm not sure he'll see your question...

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I'm posting too much, tell me and I'll try to slow down with the questions and posts.

Now, having said that, @Bluejay77 how tall are your poles and how far apart are they, in this post from 2021? Also, is it a teepee set up, or a single pole? If a teepee set up, how far apart are the poles in the setup?

@flowerbug thannk you for letting me, does anyone know what the reference to "ringwoods" meant?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I'm posting too much, tell me and I'll try to slow down with the questions and posts.

Now, having said that, @Bluejay77 how tall are your poles and how far apart are they, in this post from 2021? Also, is it a teepee set up, or a single pole? If a teepee set up, how far apart are the poles in the setup?

@flowerbug thannk you for letting me, does anyone know what the reference to "ringwoods" meant?

i just used the search box...

i don't mind answering questions, but it seems a lot of what you are asking we just went through in the 2021 thread and i've been a bit busy to post pointers... there's a lot of good information in the previous season's bean threads and well worth taking the time to go through. :) at times i've even re-read them more than one time.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

i just used the search box...

i don't mind answering questions, but it seems a lot of what you are asking we just went through in the 2021 thread and i've been a bit busy to post pointers... there's a lot of good information in the previous season's bean threads and well worth taking the time to go through. :) at times i've even re-read them more than one time.
I
I'm working my way through the 2021 thread, but I came across the term without any reference, just that it might have been a cross with Trail of Tears. I've tried using the search function here, but it gives me errors. I'll try to use Google's search specifying this site. Thank you for you help. I'll read the 2021 all the way through.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I
I'm working my way through the 2021 thread, but I came across the term without any reference, just that it might have been a cross with Trail of Tears. I've tried using the search function here, but it gives me errors. I'll try to use Google's search specifying this site. Thank you for you help. I'll read the 2021 all the way through.

also, sorry, i don't mean to be short, i just ran out of time and was interrupted again. :) if i don't get to a question perhaps someone else will. :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did an advanced search on keyword "strips" (because I know that Bluejay77 uses furring strips, but there is no way you would know that), and posts made by "Bluejay77". Here is the page of results: https://www.theeasygarden.com/search/237771/?q=strips&c[users]=Bluejay77&o=date

The Network threads are a LOT of material to read through! The advanced search works really well, as long as you have a good keyword.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I think Ringwood is a pole bean that @Bluejay77 grew a season or two ago, I happened to see it by chance looking for a Little Brown Zebra bean earlier today - funny coincidence. If you google that term, I think you'll find it. I'd post a link, but I haven't a mouse at the moment and can't do that without one.

I put my poles about 3 to 4 feet apart. The height of the tree saplings I use is about 8 feet, and I sink them 2. I think @Bluejay77 has his at 6 feet as well (and he uses single poles only, if I remember correctly). I modelled my pole bean system after his, though I used small trees instead of lum$b$er. I did one teepee in 2021, and the legs were probably about two feet apart each way. I grew 1,500 Year Old Cave bean on that and it did very well that way. One of the tree saplings did break near summer's end though from the weight.

Aside from the initial work of driving in holes for poles, I found that single pole method was really excellent. If I had only one method to use, it would be that one. Keeps each bean variety nice and separate. Looks attractive too, all the foliage climbing the pole. I think there is a lot of flexibility in a pole bean set up, if you have fairly good air movement.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Never too many questions or posts @Jack Holloway ! I think though there is a wee bit of a lull at this time of year on TEG...probably as things get closer to spring and planting time the activity will increase.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you @meadow @heirloomgal and @flowerbug for you posts. I try to search, but unfortunately I usually use the wrong search terms. When I did a search for "ringwood bean", I didn't get anything from theeasygarden. It is a curse I try to live with. I will also try the advance search here. The non-advance search just gave me errors, meaning it wouldn't work for me. I'm up to page 41 of last year's thread and I see the 2020 one is only 70 pages, so I'll read that next. And I'll read the search that meadow did and posted above. I had several filberts cut down this past fall, so I might can use those as the post for the pole beans.

Again, thank you all for your kind help.

Latest posts