2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I glanced at your post and somehow the name of the bean you posted seemed like it could be sort of familiar. So I decided to do a search on my freezer inventory for just King City and up popped "King City Pink" with out the letter S on the end. Probably the same bean. I don't find this bean on my spreadsheet which would have contained some information. I have people just hand me beans at seed swaps and I'm thinking that is where I likely got this bean. All the seed swaps I have attended are east of the eastern Illinois border. I would bet the bean I got is the same as the one you post. I've got 5 samples of 12 seeds each. Want to do a grow out of this one next year?
Possibly! 🥰🥰🥰

What do your records show for your "Pink" and "Pink Early" beans?

Yes, you have it right; I should have said "King City Pink beans."

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do your records show for your "Pink" and "Pink Early" beans?

Yes, you have it right; I should have said "King City Pink beans."
Pink Early is from a grower in Hobartville, New South Wales, Australia. They never told me what the origin of this bean was but I have always suspected they got it from the Australian Seed Bank. Pink I got from Amy Hawk in Calhan, Colorado. When I grew the bean it looked just like Pink bean I once purchased in the 1970's from the Vermont Bean Seed Company. Both beans are semi runners.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got the best type of mail today. Bean mail. 😃

A few purchased packs, and a few gifties.

Prince Purple
20221208_224252_resized.jpg

Tanya's Pink Portugal
20221208_224524_resized.jpg

Hopi Pink
20221208_225823_resized.jpg

Union Pole. Looks to me like Pinto's in reverse ⏪ ❤️
20221208_224633_resized.jpg

The packet said 'Purple & White Speckled'.....
20221208_225440_resized.jpg

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pink Early is from a grower in Hobartville, New South Wales, Australia. They never told me what the origin of this bean was but I have always suspected they got it from the Australian Seed Bank. Pink I got from Amy Hawk in Calhan, Colorado. When I grew the bean it looked just like Pink bean I once purchased in the 1970's from the Vermont Bean Seed Company. Both beans are semi runners.
Thank you for the info!

After some more research, I've decided to hold off on King City Pink for now.

I became interested in KCP after noticing its resemblance to the Bolita bean I grew and sampled this year. It was delicious!! I will be growing Bolita again this year to see how it does when grown properly, in a sunnier spot with trellising and plenty of air circulation. Let's just say it was less than ideal for it to be sprawled across the ground in the shadow of the pole green beans. 🙄

If Bolita does well, then I'll consider doing a comparison with King City Pink. KCP comes from a place with significantly more hot summer days than we have here, so there is a good chance that it may grow slowly in our cooler climate.

Russ, would you like a return of Bolita as if it were a Network Bean? Assuming it is successful, of course. My seed was grown at Seven Seeds Farm (Siskiyou Seeds) in Southern Oregon. It's an Ark of Taste bean too! 😄

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Prince Purple
View attachment 53900

Tanya's Pink Portugal
View attachment 53901

Hopi Pink
View attachment 53905

View attachment 53906

View attachment 53903

Prince Purple
View attachment 53900

Tanya's Pink Portugal
View attachment 53901

Hopi Pink
View attachment 53905

View attachment 53906

View attachment 53903
All so very pretty. Just wondering about the Tanya's Pink Portugal, as I cannot find any reference to it online. Is it an offshoot of the bush snap Tanya's Pink Pod?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I received these from my gardening friend Mandy @ Mandys Greenhouse. She has a fantastic website, with really lots of great info. Her photos (most are on flickr) are awesome too. I believe she recieved this bean from a co-worker, it was a family heirloom they had originally brought from Portugal.

Latest posts