2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I received these from my gardening friend Mandy @ Mandys Greenhouse. She has a fantastic website, with really lots of great info. Her photos (most are on flickr) are awesome too. I believe she recieved this bean from a co-worker, it was a family heirloom they had originally brought from Portugal.
I seem to remember that Mandy's Greenhouse was closing?

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yikes! (no pressure!) i barely got any good looking seeds in this year's results but i have 20 seeds to try again with. i'll plant 10 next year and 10 the year after and hope one of them works out.

i thought i did see that someone else was growing Striped Bunch this year?

in looking on-line i see that Striped Bunch is available in other places so it is likely not lost if my seeds don't come through. *whew!*
That was probably me. It actually struggled here too this season. But I am growing it again next year and can send some seeds over if necessary.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
five of the Purple Dove out crosses from this season's harvest (the links are non-thumbnail versions). i should say they are potential out crosses. not definite yet... :) i have a few others too, but not as visually distinct as these are so i didn't try to get a picture of them.

DSC_20221210_110947-0500_1828_Purple_Dove_Odds_1_2_thm.jpg

DSC_20221210_111251-0500_1830_Purple_Dove_Odds_3_4_5_thm.jpg

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks like the farmer(s) working with UC Davis had a cross between Anasazi and Rio Zape. They're calling it "Anazape." One of the customer comments says that they're closer in taste and texture to Rio Zape than Anasazi. 🤔 Look for the store "Primary Beans". I don't think I'm allowed to post a link since it is a store. Here's the descriptor:
Chocolate-y • Rich • Plump
These stunning beans started as a spontaneous cross (by bees!) between 2 parent beans: Rio Zape and Anasazi. After noting how special they were, our farm partner, Rio del Rey, saved and regrew them so that they could live on as a brand-new variety. We love their rich chocolate-y flavor, creamy plumpness, and the variation among each bean– a mix between spotted and striped. It’s a bean you won’t find anywhere else, and they're best by the spoonful, straight out of the pot.

eta: Now that I think about it, I bet these also have Matterhorn (a great northern bean) in them, since that was being used by UC Davis to give Rio Zape that resistant to bean common mosaic virus.

Last edited:

Latest posts