2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello all. I've realized I can't do everything I'd like to do. I bought these to put in the freezer, and to grow over the next few years. That won't be happening, so I'm offering them to you folks. Most of these are an ounce pack, which I could divide in two. A few are 30 or 40 seeds, so might not be best to divide those. Khabarovsk is 4 ounces, so I could provide several of those to people. A few of them I'll most likely keep a few seeds, in case I do get the blackberries under control and can grow them. Let me know what you are interested in. I'm willing to try to send out of the country, but if there is a best way to send from the USA to your country, let me know in a private message how to do that for you. I'll pay all mailing costs, so don't worry about that. Maybe I should add that @Bluejay77 gets first crack at them. I've already got a box of 14 others I'm sending him, not listed below.

Hope this sounds fair. First come, first served. Or in computer geek talk, FIFO (first in, first out).

Appaloosa Bean - dry, twinning bush habit - The Experimental Farm Network (2022)
Beefy - dry, bush, black resilient bean - Quail Seeds (2022)
Blue Lake FM1 - pole, snap bean - R.H. Shumway's (2021)
Stringless Blue Lake S-7, pole, snap bean - Jung's (2022)
Blue Lake Wright Strain, pole, snap bean - Victory Seeds (2022)
Bolita, not a bush, dry - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Borlotto, dry, bush - Quail Seeds (2022)
Broughton Astley Polish, dry, pole - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Flor de Mayo, bush, dry - The Experimental Farm Network (2022)
Frijol Roijoo de Seda (Salvadoran Red), dry, pole - Truelove Seeds (2022)
George Fowler Pole - green, pole - Victory Seeds (2022)
Gold Nectar, snap, pole - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Hannah Freeman, snap - shell - dry, pole - Truelove Seeds (2022)
Kentucky Blue, snap, pole - R.H. Shumway's (2021)
Kew Blue, snap, pole - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Khabarovsk, dry, pole - Adaptive Seeds (2022) (sourced from Gerhard Bohl, Germany)
Lina Sisco's Bird Egg, bush, dry - SEE (2022)
Northern Pinto, short semi-runner, dry - The Experimental Farm Network (2022)
O'Driscoll, pole, dry - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Orcabean, bush, dry - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Oregon Giant, pole, snap - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Pepe de Rola, pole, dry - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Poletschka, pole, dry - Adaptive Seeds (2022)
Purple Dove, bush, snap - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Purple Kingsessing, pole, dry - Truelove Seeds (2022)
Red Kidney, bush, dry - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Riggin's Stick, pole, snap (strings) - Victory Seeds (2022)
Rockwell, bush, dry - Siskiyou Seeds (2022)
Shunk, pole, dry - Truelove Seeds (2022)
Yessica's Inca Bush Bean, bush, dry - Quail Seeds (2022)

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Jack Holloway I can help fill in the growth habit on a few of those:
Orca and Rockwell are bush (I grew Rockwell last summer).
Yessica's is bush dry bean.
Northern Pinto is a short semi-runner (I grew it last summer).
Flora de Mayo is a bush, dry bean.
Bolita is definitely not a bush! Don't believe their description. I fell for that one. 🙄
George Fowler is a green bean.
Hannah Freeman is a pole bean.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug Your Purple Dove seed looks a lot prettier than what I'm seeing elsewhere. Do you favor them as a snap bean or dry bean?

the beans i just posted are likely out-crosses and are not what i would consider true to type.

or do you mean from other pictures?

the color of the harvest this year was closer to the right side of the following picture (the left were grown in poorer garden soil). [this picture is from a few years ago - my harvest this year was comparable to about 1/3 of that shown]

DSC_20201122_100315-0500_724_Purple_Dove_Lineup_thm.jpg

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
the beans i just posted are likely out-crosses and are not what i would consider true to type.

or do you mean from other pictures?

the color of the harvest this year was closer to the right side of the following picture (the left were grown in poorer garden soil).

DSC_20201122_100315-0500_724_Purple_Dove_Lineup_thm.jpg
I've just noticed that the pictures you post each year are consistently some shade of lavender or purple. A couple of places are selling Purple Dove, but their seed is not as pretty. One in particular has different colors, although I can't recall who has this. Maybe Vermont Bean? Not sure.

eta: no, it is Siskiyou Seed that I was thinking of. Victory Seed has some that looks more consistent but not as pretty as yours.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug Your Purple Dove seed looks a lot prettier than what I'm seeing elsewhere. Do you favor them as a snap bean or dry bean?

we really like them as a fresh bean first, but they are also an excellent dry bean. picked fresh and steamed a little they are tops for us in preference.

as a smaller dry bean they cook up quicker than many others, the flavor is like a mild pinto bean and the texture is what i would call creamy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've just noticed that the pictures you post each year are consistently some shade of lavender or purple. A couple of places are selling Purple Dove, but their seed is not as pretty. One in particular has different colors, although I can't recall who has this. Maybe Vermont Bean? Not sure.

i was just looking at the bean referenced by @Jack Holloway and saw that it looks like it has some solid black colored beans in the mix and is otherwise a light color. i can't tell if those are reverses or not from the pictures but it didn't look like it to me.

the mix i tend to plant may include reverses but they are not solid colored black or purple beans - there's some white around the eye.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
we really like them as a fresh bean first, but they are also an excellent dry bean. picked fresh and steamed a little they are tops for us in preference.

as a smaller dry bean they cook up quicker than many others, the flavor is like a mild pinto bean and the texture is what i would call creamy.
I've been sorely tempted... I do love purple! I'm trying really hard to pare down my collection to just a few to be grown out on rotation though. It ain't easy.

i was just looking at the bean referenced by @Jack Holloway and saw that it looks like it has some solid black colored beans in the mix and is otherwise a light color. i can't tell if those are reverses or not from the pictures but it didn't look like it to me.
Yes, I'd noticed that one too.

Latest posts