2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
we've had birds swipe yarn used to tie things. years later i may find bits of it used in nests that have fallen out of trees.
Glad you pointed this out @flowerbug ; I too have found yarn in our bird house nests. You can't underestimate the power of a determined bird to untie that perfectly colored string. :rolleyes: DW liked to use pipe cleaners (don't know where she got them) but I usually use plastic baling twine (for squash) or wire twist ties (for beans & more delicate flowers). If I were to use string, it would be green, to blend in with the foliage.

But the biggest ball of string I've come across was inside a squirrel nest. They had apparently been chewing up a burlap sack.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So maybe just a slight change in their climate adaptation? :rolleyes:
Gosh, I hope not! It seems they are longtime friends, so fingers crossed. Here is a snippet from their announcement (actually, in reading this again, it may not be bad at all :fl):

"Last June, after running Victory Seed Company since 1999, the Dunton family has semi-retired and passed the torch to the Whitinger family. These two families have been friends for many years, and we are excited to continue operation of this amazing seed company from our location near Dallas, Texas. Back in Oregon, the Duntons continue to be involved on their family farm with the mission of preserving hundreds of varieties, and the Whitingers are expanding the network of growers so that we can continue to offer (and expand on) over a thousand rare, heirloom and historical varieties of vegetables, herbs and flowers."

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@meadow , that seems to imply that Victory already had a footprint in Texas. I suppose only time will tell whether this heralds a shift toward more Southern-adapted varieties. Victory had been backing up many of my soybeans; but having watched their soybean offerings diminish year-to-year, I question whether they will actually regrow any of them in the future. I'd sure like to know that someone will still be able to publicly offer some of the non-edamame soybeans when I am no longer able to do so.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... I'd sure like to know that someone will still be able to publicly offer some of the non-edamame soybeans when I am no longer able to do so.

if i had a freezer i'd offer to take samples of all of them you're concerned about and then grow out one or two a season, but until i have better and more reliable seed storage projects like that just won't pan out.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@meadow , that seems to imply that Victory already had a footprint in Texas. I suppose only time will tell whether this heralds a shift toward more Southern-adapted varieties. Victory had been backing up many of my soybeans; but having watched their soybean offerings diminish year-to-year, I question whether they will actually regrow any of them in the future. I'd sure like to know that someone will still be able to publicly offer some of the non-edamame soybeans when I am no longer able to do so.
There must be some way to get better visibility on your collection.

I wonder if the new owners of Victory Seeds might be interested if they understood what it is you are stewarding? They look like a young and vibrant family. Maybe they'd be willing to take it on, or help find someone that would.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I think you were concerened about 2 varieties in your grow outs this year. "Fukuryu Chunaga" I got two really nice returns on this variety. The second one just came in this afternoon. Striped Bunch got a return on this one this afternoon also. You can ease your mind of these two. Just thought you'd like to know.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

I think you were concerened about 2 varieties in your grow outs this year. "Fukuryu Chunaga" I got two really nice returns on this variety. The second one just came in this afternoon. Striped Bunch got a return on this one this afternoon also. You can ease your mind of these two. Just thought you'd like to know.

yes, thanks for letting me know! the pressure is now not so great. :) just personal pressure to try again next year anyways to see if they'll grow here at all or what?