2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Artorius,

You need to send me your grow out list again very soon. I supposed to leave tomorrow for my brothers house. I can't find old conversations with what you wanted or any emails pertaining to what you wanted to grow out this year. That is the trouble with going away for a long time. I am operating cold right now. I feel like a blind man in the dark.

Please email me your list upadam@comcast.net

I found the conversation with the beans you wanted to grow in 2022. So you can disregard the conversation I posted to you and the above message.

Buddha's Bellybutton
Mt. Pima Plum
Long Eye Black Eye
Bubble Gum
Carmel Delight
plus Coon and beans from Flowerbug.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just noticed this new Rancho Gordo bean from your neck of the woods, @Jack Holloway. Have you heard of it before?
This is one I got last month from the seed exchange! I'm trying to stay away (mostly) from bush beans, but I fell off the wagon with this one. I hope I have some room to try it this year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
t's a good news @Bluejay77 . They are not lost. The second kit that you sent to England is already with me.
I sent you a private message about it
Oh ! I forgot about the second package. Other things to think about I guess. Well you will have another shot of those same beans. LOL. You can grow twice as many of them if you want or give them away to another bean aficionado.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am excited for a new growing season and for network beans! It's hard to believe we'll be planting before long - we still have a couple feet of snow on the ground. But we are losing it fast.

Last year we grew Tongues of Fire in bulk and as we've been shelling them out I have come across a few with interesting patterns. I'm setting those aside to plant this year and see if they will produce similar patterns or not.

EEF8B477-FE4E-4E1E-8408-D621491D21A7.jpeg

We have also gotten several reversals, which are fun to find. Sometimes they will be reversals for the whole pod and sometimes alternating within the pod. I'm curious to know the genetics behind this if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would expect the whole pod to be one or the other.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@BeanWonderin I have no idea what is happening genetically with reverses but I'll add this. I often get reverses with a segregation, now stable, that I got from one of the Will Bonsall crosses that I called Jas. I don't get a lot, I get fewer that a half dozen a year. But I always get one or two reverses. These are usually one reverse in a pod, not all of the seeds.

But the beans are not all that reverses, the pods do too. The pods are usually green with purple stripes but occasionally you'll see a pod that is purple with green highlights. The pod being a reverse does not have any effect on whether the bean inside is a reverse. Growing these beans can be fascinating.

And the mandatory photos.

Jas Rev.jpg
Comparison.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

We have also gotten several reversals, which are fun to find. Sometimes they will be reversals for the whole pod and sometimes alternating within the pod. I'm curious to know the genetics behind this if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would expect the whole pod to be one or the other.

the beans form from each side of the pod alternating so that is why the common thing to see with reverses or oddities is every other bean being affected. i have seen pods where just one bean has the reverse too, but that is pretty rare. over all reverses don't seem to happen often and planting reverses doesn't seem to give them back in any larger amounts unless you get some kind of crossing or mutation which somehow reinforces that trait.

what is strange to me is that the reverse is supposedly from the mother plant and not the result of the pollination since it is only when you grow the seeds out that you'll see what happened the previous season.

here is one reference which i have not fully digested yet, but it is interesting:

this one is also good. no, i don't understand it all either: :)

Last edited:

Latest posts