2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
But if using a much heavier pole driver, you REALLY need to be careful when lifting it off of a tall pole. For my 6.5' trellis poles, I've learned to flip it up & over... and be prepared to dodge quickly if I lose my grip.

not that that ever happens! i've done some doozies over the years.

If pounding directly on ANY pole with a hammer, be sure to wear eye protection - especially pounding metal-on-metal. If you ever need to get an MRI, that forgotten metal shaving/splinter could give you a very rude awakening. Talk about "ouch". :ep

i hope that wasn't learned by direct experience!? yikes!

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you. I was also thinking about ziptieing the 1x2 strips to some old cattle fence i have and that then goes onto T posts which of course are post hole pounded in. I was unsure of the furring strips on pounding them in as it seems the ones at my local home depot were very crooked and had quite a few knots. I think the soil classification is like a clay-loam or silty clay loam so it can be hard to pound posts in the clay soil.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you. I was also thinking about ziptieing the 1x2 strips to some old cattle fence i have and that then goes onto T posts which of course are post hole pounded in. I was unsure of the furring strips on pounding them in as it seems the ones at my local home depot were very crooked and had quite a few knots. I think the soil classification is like a clay-loam or silty clay loam so it can be hard to pound posts in the clay soil.
I'm not certain if I'm understanding correctly (brain fatigue on my end), but wouldn't the 1x2 strips be redundant when used in combination with the cattle fence?

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm not certain if I'm understanding correctly (brain fatigue on my end), but wouldn't the 1x2 strips be redundant when used in combination with the cattle fence?
Good question, the fence is only like maybe 4 foot or maybe 5 foot tall, last year i had some unwanted disease as the pole bean plants hung over the edge of the fence, they wanted to grow taller. These 1x2 strips i think are 8 footers which hopefully will allow less disease to occur?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Good question, the fence is only like maybe 4 foot or maybe 5 foot tall, last year i had some unwanted disease as the pole bean plants hung over the edge of the fence, they wanted to grow taller. These 1x2 strips i think are 8 footers which hopefully will allow less disease to occur?
That sounds like a good idea.

I suppose if they were hanging completely over, the air flow would be similar to having planted twice as many seeds in the same space.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You should be able to weave the furring strips between some of the holes in the fence so the fence supports them. That cow panel will be pretty stiff but you might be able to get the furring strip through a hole at the top, one in the middle, and another at the ground level. I've done that kind of thing before. If you can't weave all three because of stiffness weave two and zip tie the third. The fence needs to be strongly supported. If you are using it to support the strips it will get a lot of wind load.

I think the soil classification is like a clay-loam or silty clay loam so it can be hard to pound posts in the clay soil.
I was thinking of rocky soil too, I don't like rocky soil. But if it is a clay type soil, it should be fairly easy to pound the pole in when the soil is wet. When it is dry clay can set up hard as a brick.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You should be able to weave the furring strips between some of the holes in the fence so the fence supports them. That cow panel will be pretty stiff but you might be able to get the furring strip through a hole at the top, one in the middle, and another at the ground level. I've done that kind of thing before. If you can't weave all three because of stiffness weave two and zip tie the third. The fence needs to be strongly supported. If you are using it to support the strips it will get a lot of wind load.

I was thinking of rocky soil too, I don't like rocky soil. But if it is a clay type soil, it should be fairly easy to pound the pole in when the soil is wet. When it is dry clay can set up hard as a brick.
Yes, i pound T posts in the ends and the cattle panels stay up fine. Ive not had an issue yet. I have not had an issue pounding the T posts in clay, ive never tried to pound a knotty 1x2 strip though. I was hoping to plant garden next weekend around may 15th seems to be the magic date. But we have had almost 4' rain this week and its very wet

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, i pound T posts in the ends and the cattle panels stay up fine. Ive not had an issue yet. I have not had an issue pounding the T posts in clay, ive never tried to pound a knotty 1x2 strip though. I was hoping to plant garden next weekend around may 15th seems to be the magic date. But we have had almost 4' rain this week and its very wet

pounding anything that small with a knot in it is suspect. :(

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a question about peas. Some plants (not every) have sets of these tiny leaves, what are they and do they have any specific function or indication? Thanks in advance.
618.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a question about peas. Some plants (not every) have sets of these tiny leaves, what are they and do they have any specific function or indication? Thanks in advance.
View attachment 48669
There are peas that have that leaf trait (such as parsley peas). If all of the leaves on the plant are the same, it may not be a problem. If there was a change, and only the new leaves are small, it may be a sign of disease. Personally, if I find such an oddity in a row, I usually pull/cut it to be safe. My garden was infected with Aster Yellows one year, it caused abnormal growth of some of my onions & garlic; numerous small leaves ("witches broom") was one of the symptoms.