2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The network beans have 100% sprouted. The Flowerbugs too :) This year May is quite warm, so they grow in a foil tunnel. They are covered with fleece at night.

DSCN8708.jpg
DSCN8709.jpg
DSCN8710.jpg

After May 15, I will start transplanting. The weather forecasts are promising and the places are almost prepared.

DSCN8716.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , what is the latest you'd consider starting bush beans? (for my project beans)

I have planted bush beans here one time July 1 and got a good seed crop. I think though I would not care to plant bush beans here any later than 15th to the 20th of June. I usually get my bush types planted by about the 7th of June. Pole beans are first as they take the longest to mature. I try to get them in by June 1.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 I know you were unsure of the viability of the Lil Daisy seeds. 6/10 have germinated, which is plenty for this year. :)

That's great that that many of the Lil Daisy beans germinated. I got them from a fellow in Kentucky and I'm not sure how he stores his seeds. He'll give you seeds sometimes and it seems many of them are not great specimens of seed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 , what is the latest you'd consider starting bush beans? (for my project beans)

to be more accurate with an answer you'd have to know how long those beans take to finish. some can be done as soon as 65-70 days and others won't finish until 110 or more or they may even be day length sensitive.

that said i try to get everything planted here by the 2nd week of June or earlier if the weather cooperates. 2nd plantings of some of the shorter finishing beans can happen if i notice that some seeds haven't germinated or there are spaces left to fill in if the bunnies or other creatures have eaten them. also for fresh eating it can be good to have some newer plants just coming along when the older ones start easing off in production.

Latest posts