2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Russ, more of the Lil Daisy have popped up - 80% germination. 🤯

@BeanieQueen Nice choices! The pattern on the Trebulino di Domenico is quite beautiful.
For the network I'm growing Barksdale, Lil Daisy, Pink Tip Greasy, Sallee-Dunahoo Family White Greasy and Wide Pod White Greasy.
Have never tried Lima beans, not sure if they would like the climate here. Do you grow them often?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Russ, more of the Lil Daisy have popped up - 80% germination. 🤯

@BeanieQueen Nice choices! The pattern on the Trebulino di Domenico is quite beautiful.
For the network I'm growing Barksdale, Lil Daisy, Pink Tip Greasy, Sallee-Dunahoo Family White Greasy and Wide Pod White Greasy.
Have never tried Lima beans, not sure if they would like the climate here. Do you grow them often?
Yes! Trebulino are a lot my taste! I never had them before. Of all network varieties they were the very last to germinate - after 12 days.. one! A 2nd and 3rd reluctantly decided on day 15. And: they want it hot. I nearly finally boiled them in the sun to lurk a little root out of their peel.

I am also in love with Bosnian Pole. These are also such beauties! So pretty.

You seem to grow many white seeded network beans this year.

I have not so much experience with Lima beans, but the ordinary big white ones (maybe Dr Martin's?) and Christmas Lima are uncomplicated and develop well here in my region. This is one of the warmest places here in Germany - in the very south-western corner very close to the french and swiss frontier. In the summer we have often >35°C. Lima beans like the warmth and I believe the English climate is less extreme.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I won't have any lima beans this year. Due to my various obligations, I have no place for it. I'll fix it in 2023. Funny, this season hasn't really started yet, and I'm already thinking about the next one :)

hahahaha! :)

i'm usually thinking several years ahead on what beans i want to grow and what i'd like to get rid of that's left of the grass that we're mowing so i can grow more beans, squash and other edibles. i'm not sure how much of that i'll get done this year but i did make quite a dent in it last year by reclaiming a few hundred square feet. what was really good about that was all those edges i was having to weed or try to keep in shape are now reduced by many linear feet to just the one edge. it will still be work to keep after but much less work.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I won't have any lima beans this year. Due to my various obligations, I have no place for it. I'll fix it in 2023. Funny, this season hasn't really started yet, and I'm already thinking about the next one :)
Yep you are thinking about next season already because you don't have enough space to grow all the beans you have in one single season. This year I am growing some beans that I have not grown in 9 to 10 years. I too have thoughts already about future seasons.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm giving serious thought to which varieties we would like to eat, as well as preserve, to keep the number of varieties to a more manageable size.

Is this a common starting point? (this is my first season and the temptation to chase another variety is sooooo tempting!) Am I on the verge of entering the beany twilight zone where I too will be growing numerous varieties?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

I know what you mean! Same here. I acquired so many new varieties recently that I had to explain to several of them to remain patient until next season.

What kind of weather do you have at the moment? We almost touched the 30°C today (at night no less than 15°). Are your plants all out already?

Latest posts