2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
A couple of limas last year I presprouted the seed of Ping Zebra and put them in the ground after they sprouted about 10 days before the end of May. Most of the beans I grow I sow them directly. This year I will grow a little more than 140 varieties.

I spent two days recently picking samples out of the freezer of beans that I will be growing and getting them lined up in boxes in the order that they will go into the ground. I need to get all my poles ready. Soon as it is warm enough to plant and the soil is the right moisture level. I will spring into action with my roto-tiller and will be out planting for about 5 days.
140 varieties! Jesus!
In this case I think I refrain from asking you to list them here occasionally (for I am curious about it) as I do not want you to spend the whole summer writing down bean names..

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
140 varieties! Jesus!
In this case I think I refrain from asking you to list them here occasionally (for I am curious about it) as I do not want you to spend the whole summer writing down bean names.

Later in the autumn after I have harvested all the seed I grew this summer. I will photo every single one of them. I will post all the photos here and you will see all the names and growth habits of them all.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
140 varieties! Jesus!
In this case I think I refrain from asking you to list them here occasionally (for I am curious about it) as I do not want you to spend the whole summer writing down bean names..
Welcome to LEBN @BeanieQueen ! :frow

Great to have you here with us!
I won't mention how many I'm growing either....:hide

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Years ago I read somewhere, possibly on the website of Heritage Harvest Seed, that in terms of germination there are notable differences between black seedcoat beans and those with white seedcoats. It had to do with cold tolerances I think, or something tied in with germination preferences. This year I am really striking out with white seeded beans 😣, so far anyway, and now I'm wondering about that tidbit I read long ago was. Anyone ever hear of anything tied to seed coat colour and temperature preferences?

We are having a severe thunderstorm warning right now. Warnings of winds from 90 - 110 km/hour and nickel sized hail stones (which is odd) major rain etc. I am glad right now I've only got beans sprouted in pots in my greenhouse! Gosh how I love bean transplants! 🥰 Worried a little about the lupinis and favas out there, but they ares till pretty small so I think they'll be okay. I am a bit more worried about the cowpeas and tepary beans out there, which are a little bigger with a thinner stem. I could cover them but don't want to risk a pot cover blowing off and creating a massacre, beheading plants as it blows off and around. Speaking of the tepary beans though, I wonder about spacing? Never planted these before? Too far apart? Its probably about 8 inches, (there were 2 seeds in each transplant pot) this is a raised square planter. The variety is 'Blue Speckled Tepary' and the packages said nothing about growth habit, and don't know what it grows like. Read everything from bush to semi-vining.

20220519_174518_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Years ago I read somewhere, possibly on the website of Heritage Harvest Seed, that in terms of germination there are notable differences between black seedcoat beans and those with white seedcoats. It had to do with cold tolerances I think, or something tied in with germination preferences. This year I am really striking out with white seeded beans 😣, so far anyway, and now I'm wondering about that tidbit I read long ago was. Anyone ever hear of anything tied to seed coat colour and temperature preferences?

We are having a severe thunderstorm warning right now. Warnings of winds from 90 - 110 km/hour and nickel sized hail stones (which is odd) major rain etc. I am glad right now I've only got beans sprouted in pots in my greenhouse! Gosh how I love bean transplants! 🥰 Worried a little about the lupinis and favas out there, but they ares till pretty small so I think they'll be okay. I am a bit more worried about the cowpeas and tepary beans out there, which are a little bigger with a thinner stem. I could cover them but don't want to risk a pot cover blowing off and creating a massacre, beheading plants as it blows off and around. Speaking of the tepary beans though, I wonder about spacing? Never planted these before? Too far apart? Its probably about 8 inches, (there were 2 seeds in each transplant pot) this is a raised square planter. The variety is "Holstein' and the packages said nothing about growth habit, and don't know what it grows like. Read everything from bush to semi-vining.

View attachment 48995
I've never heard of anything with regards to see coat color versus temperature. I have noticed that black and colored seed coat tend to be THICKER than some white ones, which might effect germination via differences with imbibition, but nothing about temperature.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i haven't heard anything about that either and think that if it were color related it would also show up in lima beans. haven't noticed any difference. some Purple Dove beans can be almost pure white - no difference in germination that i've seen. a few data points perhaps by an interested observer. :)

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome to LEBN @BeanieQueen !

Great to have you here with us!
I won't mention how many I'm growing either....:hide
Hello @heirloomgal:frow
Well, now! Now I am but the more curious!
Do you mind listing them occasionally?

Tepary beans I haven't tried yet either. I have the impression that they want it really hot and do not stand much wetness but this may be wrong. The seedlings on your photo look very good. And Holstein is a very pretty variety - and also on my wannahave list.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Blue Speckled Tepary beans back in the early 1980's. It seems that they don't climb but also do not stand erect like a bush variety but might spread out on the ground a little in what is called prostrate growth. @heirloomgal you can verify their growth habit when your beans become mature. In the southwest which is there native growing area I read that these beans can grow on as little as 2 inches of rain. When they produced pods and mature seed they can appear water stressed. In this area of the world where they can get an abunance of water from what they are used to they will simply produce more foliage than what they produce in their native grounds.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of anything tied to seed coat colour and temperature preferences?

From Seed Savers Exchange, The Seed Garden: The Art and Practice of Seed Saving:

"Ideally, dark-seeded beans should be planted when the soil temperature has reached 60°F (16°C), and light-seeded beans should be sown when the soil temperature is above 65°F (18°C)."

Latest posts